PLEASE CLOSE thread LostMyStuff HOW TO

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadTownScoop

Elite Member
Id like to know, how do I contact a person who reported a lost item to possibly help them look for it. Don't know if I'm blind or what but I can't find any way on the site to make contact. Or do I have to contact the site and have them bring myself into contact with the person who lost the item?

I just looked at the site. Are you a volenteer on it? I just joined for fun. Yes it says you will get notifications in your area. If you joined and didn't respond to the email they sent you within 24 hours they deleted your application.

It says you will search for FREE. Umm, I don't mind searching BUT my air and my gas is also important.

I won't make a business out of it. I want gas money and a tank of air. IF I find the item (So far only 2 not found) I would like a gift of some sort. I refuse to ask for rewards or cash. Thats income.

Last edited:
If you are a volunteer on the site you click on lost idem report, fill it out and it will be sent to your email.

When I volunteer to do something, I don't have any expectation of reward or compensation. It's something I offer to do, and it's my choice as to how much expense I'm willing to donate, in helping out. Most people understand that time and money are being invested in them, and feel a need to reward or compensate, and do so voluntarily. I usually decline, as I've already took in consideration the expense, and excepted them. But what this program offers, is a way to get in on hunting a private property, maybe finding some other items, that you will get too keep, while looking for the particular lost item. It's not too likely you will find an item within minutes, maybe not at all. The last place you remember seeing something, isn't always the place it was lost. Think it's pretty tough to refuse, if you do find the item, since you are already there, equipment out, all geared up to hunt. They've already seen you work, you return the item, they can trust you. Might not always work out that way, but a pretty good chance. Least you got out, hunted a little, and did something nice.

But what this program offers, is a way to get in on hunting a private property, maybe finding some other items, that you will get too keep, while looking for the particular lost item.

I'm not saying this is the actual situation, I'm just saying how this reads to me.

From that statement, to "me" it sounds like this program has a hidden agenda behind it other than just finding someone's lost item.

Again, I'm not saying that's how it is, just saying that's how that statement reads to me.

You're all so full of cr@p!

There is no "Hidden Agenda". You do NOT get special access to private property, you SHOULD NOT demand to keep anything you find other than the lost item if on someone's private property. You ABSOLUTELY SHOULD NOT ask for or expect a reward or monetary compensation for the hunt.

YOU ARE VOLUNTEERING to help find a lost item for someone. If you joined to get access to info about a lost item so you can extort money out of the person who lost it, then you are a Mercenary and scum!

If you can't live up to the agreement you made when you joined, you need to drop out and let the admins of LMS know to remove your email address.

OK, go ahead and flame me, but I am right and you are wrong. If you joined LMS to get money or info on a lost item that you can sneak out to the spot and steal it, then you are not the kind of person we strive to be as ETHICAL Detectorists...

WOW Robby, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

I will be HAPPY to help others. I am NOT in a position to do it on free gas and air for my tanks though.

I have returned over 35 GOLD class rings and two silver ID bracelets by finding the owners and just handing back with NO expectations of a reward. I NOW ask for shipping ONLY if I have to ship it. I found it on my dime, I searched for the owner on my dime. I will GLADLY give it back, BUT I REFUSE to be out any cash to ship it out also. I have been on the Detroit News twice and in 7 different papers.

Anybody that steals what they are searching for is scum. I already had that experience to look for something behind a boat that somebody already got paid to look for and claimed they didn't find it. They got 300.00 UP FRONT and stole the ring also I am almost positive of it.

But if you go on land and find a ring for somebody and they let you search their property for old silver coins, why not?

BUT my question to you is WHO said ANYTHING about finding the item and stealing it???

I did register and I did reply to the email sent to me to confirm I had joined. I think I kept it to within 50 miles or whatever but I see there is a lost class ring in Milwaukee on 3/15/13 and no one has looked for it. Was wondering since its out of my (area) 30 or 50 miles whatever, how I would go about making contact to get out and look for it. Was more a curiosity question, say I was gonna be in another state in an area with a lost item that has not been found or maybe not looked for. I could offer to look when I got into that area. As for the "Hidden agenda" I think that phrase was that individuals perspective on LMS site. 90% of us will not look at it that way. They were just expressing an alternative view point. But, it does kinda make sense. Say you are looking in someones lawn for a wedding band/ring. Ask for a picture of it. Never know when you are gonna find a ring from a previous owner and the new owners (when you find one other than the one pictured) claims they also lost that one. JMHO tho. Just ask ahead of time (before you scan the yard) if you find something other than the ring in question if you can keep the other item (s). Just to prevent problems. Most people when you are looking for something they lost wont have any objections but then again, do you want to have a negative situation for yourself, the lost item site or the homeowner who lost something? Clear things up in advance.

No, I would not take advantage of anyone who is asking for help to locate a lost item. If they offer a "reward" thats a situation by situation thing. YES Its volunteer but if you drive 50 miles or so one way, thats about 6 -7 gallons of fuel for my truck, I might, I might not take any offerings but if so, Id never take more than 20 bucks probably. Most times I'd refuse. Ive refused cash for pulling people out of ditches, mud puddles and snow banks. Ive refused money for changing a womans tire on her car that was flat when it was 5 degrees out. Ive done lots to help people out and never accepted anything in compensation from any of them. I figure some day I'll need help and hopefully there is someone out there who can help me in my time of need.

If you are asking for money upfront, even just expenses, you are selling a service. Most places require a business license, government want's their share, and to keep tabs on you for tax reasons. Something goes wrong, someone complains, and no business license is a bad situation. True, lots of people enter into business arrangements, and it's kept entirely between them, unless it turns into a civil matter in court.

Volunteering is a great thing. It's good for everyone, good for the hobby. The people who ask for help, are usually going to be grateful to get a response.

I've only hunted 4 private properties, all people I've known, or been acquainted with. I doubt I would have had a problem just packing up my stuff, and leaving without a word. I just don't feel right about taking things with me, that I didn't bring, buy, or was given. I mad sure they got to see everything I found, and gave them the operatunity to keep what they wanted, which no one did. Would have been happy with just pictures, and having fun hunting. I'm not much for hunting private property, but willing to accept when the chance is offered.

When you volunteer your time and services, there really shouldn't be any expectations of money. You have the choice of whether or not to donate.

I guess we can agree to disagree. Not a big deal. I will and have volenteered locally, BUT asking for air and gas to me isn't opening myself up to the tax man as far as I am concerned. And rewards are taxable, gifts are not.

Thats like selling my gold is opening myself up to taxes. I wish I could find more than just pull tabs and bottle tops.

Everybody --

Fogcity here... I'm the Founder of Lost My stuff... One of our members sent me a link to this thread so I'd know of the discussion.

To answer the original question -- If you're a member of Lost My Stuff and would like a copy of a Lost Item Report all you have to do is go to the website and click on the "Request a Copy of a Lost Item Report" menu button. Just follow the prompts from there and the system will email you a copy of the report you're interested in right then. This feature is available to all our members, 24/7.

As far as the other topics go, the Lost My Stuff Group was created for only one reason -- just as it says on the website -- Our only goal is to help people in need, because we all believe it's just the right thing to do. There's no hidden agenda.

If someone asks the Group for help by filing a Lost Item Report and one of our Volunteers is in the area and available to help, we expect the member will go and help search for the item and successful or not, never bring up any sort of reward, or reimbursement for expenses, or permission to hunt for other suff, or anything like that. Sure, if the owner makes an offer of any of that kind of stuff the member can do whatever he/she feels is right at the time, but asking is simply wrong when the member has shown up to help the person in response to a request for FREE help, which is what the Group was set up for.

If you feel you should be compensated for any help you provide someone, then the Lost My Stuff Group is likely not for you. We all volunteer for the sake of helping others.

I did a search just south of Madison (WI) last fall. Although I didn't find the item, I felt good just to be able to try to use the detector and the few skill sets i had developed up until that point, to try to help someone. I guess i can understand if someone wanted something found so desperately that someone with an underwater detector, scuba gear, and 1/2 a tank of fuel away would have to try to find it, yeah maybe they need to PAY someone with NO guarantee of success, to try to find it. I can understand that. If you run a detecting business and can make a living that way, go for it. For the most part I think LostMyStuff is geared towards the general metal detecting hobbyist, who would be glad to set aside the pursuit of a silver dime or wheat penny to try to make someone's day.

I agree wholeheartedly on the rationale for LMS and I WOULD join except that... I don't drive. Thus, unless the person who lost the item would be willing to come pick me up, take me to the spot where they lost the item, and then return me home, it's a no go.

I have done a couple of recovery searches "on the spot" when I was MDing and someone came over and said "Can you find...." One was successful, the other not. I refused the reward in both cases.

So yeah, if someone is willing to drive me, I could hunt for lost items. Other than that. I'll just have to read and vicariously enjoy the success stories.

SageGrouse

Everybody --

Fogcity here... I'm the Founder of Lost My stuff... One of our members sent me a link to this thread so I'd know of the discussion.

To answer the original question -- If you're a member of Lost My Stuff and would like a copy of a Lost Item Report all you have to do is go to the website and click on the "Request a Copy of a Lost Item Report" menu button. Just follow the prompts from there and the system will email you a copy of the report you're interested in right then. This feature is available to all our members, 24/7.

As far as the other topics go, the Lost My Stuff Group was created for only one reason -- just as it says on the website -- Our only goal is to help people in need, because we all believe it's just the right thing to do. There's no hidden agenda.

If someone asks the Group for help by filing a Lost Item Report and one of our Volunteers is in the area and available to help, we expect the member will go and help search for the item and successful or not, never bring up any sort of reward, or reimbursement for expenses, or permission to hunt for other suff, or anything like that. Sure, if the owner makes an offer of any of that kind of stuff the member can do whatever he/she feels is right at the time, but asking is simply wrong when the member has shown up to help the person in response to a request for FREE help, which is what the Group was set up for.

If you feel you should be compensated for any help you provide someone, then the Lost My Stuff Group is likely not for you. We all volunteer for the sake of helping others.

so, if Scuba Diver drives 70 miles and spends $40 on gas an $30 on air to dive and find the lost item he should expect NO COMPENSATION for his time/gas/air to find lost item? Sorry, wouldn't want to be part of that. If it were MY article that was lost, I would morally EXPECT to compensate finder for his time/gas/air to find my lost article.

so, if Scuba Diver drives 70 miles and spends $40 on gas an $30 on air to dive and find the lost item he should expect NO COMPENSATION for his time/gas/air to find lost item? Sorry, wouldn't want to be part of that. If it were MY article that was lost, I would morally EXPECT to compensate finder for his time/gas/air to find my lost article.

I will help and I will follow by thier rules IF somebody looses something close by OR if its in a lake I want to go to anyway. I mainly hunt water. If its somewhere I want to go, I will find a way to stay in the lake and play somewhere or somewhere close. I will only contact people on that site that I am willing to follow their rules in seaching. I respect what they are doing.

Please close this thread.

Well, I certainly did not expect this Question of mine to turn into a heated debate on reward monies/Travel pay. It was simply a question of HOW To make contact with someone who reported something lost. I got my answer. As for ME Personally, If they offer a reward after I find the item I may or may not take it. Depends on how large it is. LARGE rewards NEVER. I might accept a small token of appreciation. This being said. I formally request that the admins close this thread so as to prevent anymore hard feelings or accusations to any member of this forum and/or LMS Site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom