questions about digging

billb

I want to do some MDing in some parks, but am worried I will get kicked out for digging. Have any of you had this problem? How do you dig, do you try and do more like a divit, or dig and just fill in afterwards?

How about walking along normal bulivards? You can't dig in those, can you since the person with the house behind it will need to take care of the grass there, right? I just need to plan ahead for spots I want to go over and get the best results.

thanks as always
bill (looking to buy a new or used ace 250 by spring :) )

You make as small a hole as possible to retrieve the target using a hand held digger or other instrument that would cut a small plug into the ground. Usually the first ten feet in from the road is town property. If you have any doubts about that or whether you should dig there , ask your town officials for any ordinance against it.

For those shallow enough, usually 3 or so inches, I use my probe to pop it out of the ground. Otherwise I use my knife or lesche to cut a plug out, retrive the find and replace the plug. Like Tony said the land next to the street belongs to the town. But I don't hunt the spot unless I get permission. Keeps the lions at bay. :yes:

I always carry a rag with me to put the dirt in so as to not leave any sign you were there. Depending on the soil/grass, I either cut a slit and pull the grass back or cut a plug or Half moon and lay the grass back. If I don't think I can recover the target WITHOUT leaving any sign I was there, I don't dig it.

Basically I do the same as the rest do. The only difference is I use a piece of tough plastic instead of a cloth. That way the dirt just slides off without having to shake it like you do a cloth.

Just for the record. The 1st 10 feet belong to the landowner not the municipality. They have a "right of way". I went through a battle with my township 4 years ago as they attempted to go beyond the right of way in a street widening project. I got to know the law 1st hand. I also found out that if they want something bad enough and don't want to pay, they can simply condemn the property then seize it. :mad:

You're correct; the area mentioned is an easment, specifically called a utility easment. Generally it allows municipalities to install and service various utilities (i.e. phone/power poles and transformers), as well as place traffic signs and cut and mow to allow visibility for motorists.

And you're also correct about seizing property; the U.S. v. Kelo decision by the Supreme Court last year makes it easier for the Gov't to not only seize your property for public use via eminent domain, but now your property can be seized for private economic developement if they rank your property as blighted. Of course, the Gov't has "deep pockets," so the little guy hardly ever wins. The so called, "you can't fight city hall" syndrome.

R.G.S. Esq.

Back
Top Bottom