• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

E-Trac confirms couterfeit coins!

AlinMN

Elite Member
I had posted pictures of a buffalo nickel I got on ebay in a large lot of buffalo's that I thought was fake. Some thought it was fake and some didn't. However I got thinking about it and decided to see how the signal read on my E-Trac when I ran the suspect coin over the coil. Now every buffalo nickel I try as many of you know rings up at a 12-13 on the screen. But the nickel I suspect to be fake rings up at 12-14 and no matter how I turn it or hold it I cannot make it ring up 12-13 like all other nickels do. I also have some fake Japanese trade dollars that I bought when I was in Japan (they were so cheap there I thought even if they were fake I wasn't out much) they should ring up the same as a morgan or US trade dollar since they are the same size and say .900 fine silver. All US Silver dollars ring up around 1-40 or 1-41 on my E-Trac but the chinese fakes ring up at an amazing 35-50! I'm not sure what kind of metal that might be but it sure isn't silver! Here are pictures of the supected fake coins:

Attachments

• scan0064[1].jpg
    scan0064[1].jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 461
  • IMG_4587.jpg
    IMG_4587.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 449
Chinese fakes are also minted in 90% silver and gold depending on the quality of the fakes.

those counterfieters and getting better all the time. looking forward to your visit to the south in a few weeks:grin:

Getting anxious to get down there, looks like the flooding is going to be full on when we try to head that way. Hope we don't have too many detours! See you then!

a little info for ya

those trade dollars are pure cast aluminum or so i was told i almost got killed over those one time and it wasnt even my fault. the guy bought them from me, me telling him i dont claim to know anything about them or what the were made of, but he took it they were silver and the next time i ran in to him he told me he melted them and they were aluminum. then he proceded to threaten my with everything he could think of:shock::shock::shock:

those trade dollars are pure cast aluminum or so i was told i almost got killed over those one time and it wasnt even my fault. the guy bought them from me, me telling him i dont claim to know anything about them or what the were made of, but he took it they were silver and the next time i ran in to him he told me he melted them and they were aluminum. then he proceded to threaten my with everything he could think of:shock::shock::shock:

Sorry about your trouble. I don't think these are aluminum since they stick to a magnet and I don't think aluminum does. But they are definitely not pure silver maybe just silver plated at the most.

Al,

Buffaloes usually ring in at 12-14 for me. Sometimes I can remember, in the ground, if I got a 12-13 it was a V and a 12-14 was a buffalo. This was at a spot where there were no Jefferson's at all.

NebTrac

12 13

I got a Jefferson and buffLo yesterday that both rang up at 12 13 on my etrack

Back
Top Bottom