A Hunt Up North with a Bit of Success

kmad515

I just wanted to post some pics of my finds from my vacation up north in central MA over the 4th of July. Down here in the Atlanta suburbs, mostly what I do is hunt school yards and parks in neighboring counties since the county I'm in has several ordinances against metal detecting (which I still can't understand why). Anyway, I figured I would take my detector on a road trip over the 4th to visit family up north in MA. After asking several family members where the best place to hunt in their town would be, I settled on an old abandonded high school which I read was in use from 1909 to 1963. Since this was quite different from the schools I hunt in the Atlanta area, I was pretty excited to get out early the first morning I was there. Though the grass at the site hadn't been mowed in quite some time, it didn't deter me from swinging the coil for several hours that morning. I was excited to find wheat pennies as my first and second coin hits because I don't even find many of them down here where I hunt. I found a number of clad coins that morning as well as (what I thought were) two more wheat pennies but the dirt on them was so packed I couldn't make out any features. One of them also had a ton of caked on white patina which was making it even more difficult to identify. I put them in my find pouch and continued on. After about 2 1/2 hours, I ended the hunt and headed back to my parents house. While in their kitchen talking to my wife and one of my sisters, I began to wash the dirt off of my "wheat pennies" when I realized what I had and let out a big "YESSS". They thought I was crazy when I started doing a little dance and showed them two Indian Heads (1890 and 1907). Sorry, but that's a pretty good find for me. My oldest previous coin was a 1951 wheatie :lol:. Anyway, I'll end my novel by saying that I tried another park in a neighboring town a few days later and came up with the St. Christopher medal. I was actually teaching one of my brothers how to use the detector when he came upon the medal, his first find! (Not a pull tab, Zincoln, can slaw but Sterling. All I could do was shake my head. He's hooked now BTW :). Oddly enough that find came two days before the 14th anniversary of my brother Chris' death. It was almost as if he was telling us he was out there with us. The only other items of interest were a 1973 5c piece from the Netherlands, an old play token, and (what I think is) a gold plated earring. I know you're not supposed to clean your good coins but it was killing me that I couldn't make out anything on that 1907 plus it wasn't a key date or anything. The last two pics are the finished (cleaned) product. Thanks for putting up with my long winded post and HH!

Attachments

• 052.JPG
    052.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 369
  • 053.JPG
    053.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 367
  • 054.JPG
    054.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 373
  • 055.JPG
    055.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 371
  • 056.JPG
    056.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 368
  • 057.JPG
    057.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 368
  • 058.JPG
    058.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 369
  • 059.JPG
    059.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 364
  • 060.JPG
    060.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 367
  • 061.JPG
    061.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 363
  • 062.JPG
    062.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 363
  • 063.JPG
    063.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 360
  • 064.JPG
    064.JPG
    140.9 KB · Views: 362
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 361
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 365
Nice finds! Where in central Ma were you hunting? I grew up in Leominster and live in Salem now. If it's an area I'm familiar with maybe I can give you a lead for next time your up this way. BTW, CtCurt just lost a St. Christopher medal....maybe it's his.:D Congrats.

wish I was up north where I grew up. I know lots of places I could hunt that would produce silver coin. Nice hunt.

Nice finds! Where in central Ma were you hunting? I grew up in Leominster and live in Salem now. If it's an area I'm familiar with maybe I can give you a lead for next time your up this way. BTW, CtCurt just lost a St. Christopher medal....maybe it's his.:D Congrats.

Hey Scott, that's funny. The town IS Leominster. My parents retired there a few years after I moved down here in '93. The school is the old Leominster High School (off West Ave I believe). I don't mind sharing the location b/c if I make it back up there once in the next 2 years I'd be surprised. There's also a big field with a playground right behind the school. I only came up with clad there though. The St. Christopher medal was found at a park in Townsend. Jealous that you have so many old places to hunt around you. Salem must have some cool sites. I'll definitely look you up next time I'm there. Good luck in the meantime!

LOL, what a small world it is! Yes, that was the high school at one time until it became Carter Jr. High School. You wanna know how I know....I went to school there during the early 80's.:laughing: I accepted your friend request so I'll give you some more ideas of places to try at some point. Let me know the next time you'll be up this way.

Back
Top Bottom