What is the best machine and setup to unmask goodies? Also what is the best machine to use to find the goodies that the 1960 and 70s metal detectors l

TN_INDIAN

Forum Supporter
Wondering what would the best machine to use to find the goodies that the 60 and 70s metal detector guys left? What machine does the better job unmasking good targets? Thanks!

Wondering what would the best machine to use to find the goodies that the 60 and 70s metal detector guys left? What machine does the better job unmasking good targets? Thanks!

In iron I hear the XP Deus has most others beat

Can't rule out the Fisher Gold Bug/Teknetics G2 either. Most detectors back then had trouble with masked targets where as technology improved to unmask.

I still think the XP Deus has everything beat in iron

In iron I hear the XP Deus has most others beat

Can't rule out the Fisher Gold Bug/Teknetics G2 either. Most detectors back then had trouble with masked targets where as technology improved to unmask.

I still think the XP Deus has everything beat in iron

So u think the Deus would have the best success in unmasking good targets that the older detectors left behind during the big metal detector wave in the 70s?

So u think the Deus would have the best success in unmasking good targets that the older detectors left behind during the big metal detector wave in the 70s?

Yes if the unmasking is purely iron. I plan on buying one next year after watching some videos of it in the nails. The Etrac
/CTX are excellent at unmasking in the pull-tabs and can slaw, however many trashy parks now were not trashy in the 60s. People were cleaner back then and pull-tabs really didn't come out until the mid to late 60s. I think back then detectors missed more targets among iron than among trash.

best MD

YOU!, are the main key. A good machine gives you confidance, But if you do not learn everything there is to know how to work your MD, You will leave stuff behind too.Good luck and research the MD's you are looking at.

The XP Deus is a really fast machine and maybe the best machine in iron with the stock coil that I have used. I think it would be really good with a 6 inch coil but unfortunately they don't make one for the Deus. This being said I think that just about any detector with a fast recovery speed and a small coil can unmask targets from trash and iron. I use the Whites Prizm 6T and with the 4X6 DD Coil it is very good at unmasking targets. I have found several silver coins using the 4X6 coil that I know that I could not have found with my standard coil.

I have pulled many coins from underneath iron or with iron in the same hole. I once found a barber at 8 inches that had I layer of rusted iron attached to it. I would think that most of the mid to upper end machines of today will do just fine in iron as long as you go slow

Sent from my LG-LS840 using Tapatalk

The ATPro was made for finding things in Iron,I recommend it! Also I found a 18k ring in a pulltab infested beach(with grass):yes:

The best things for unmasking targets are a shovel, sifter and a magnet. People dream that 1 detector will do everything, it won't happen !!! Using a good detector and knowing what you are doing, you can get past some trash, but not all of it. You will always leave good targets, there is no avoiding it !!!! So for someone to claim their detector gets everything is not true !!!!!

Not to burst your bubble, but you've barely begun to learn how to get anything out of that F75...another higher dollar detector is not going to find things the one you already have can't.

The huge surprise is going to be that money may NOT be the answer/guarantee. Realize that a lot of it is user skill that can come with putting time into that one machine and not distributed over all the $800+ units on the planet.

Some of them old Compass detectors were very good in iron.

Heh heh...THAT is why I jumped on a used Compass Judge 2 when it passed my way.
Cost me all of $10 but I think it was worth it.

I have also picked out some very nice targets in heavy iron using most of my detectors and even though I do think technology is important, I always believed the person behind the detector and the knowledge they posses is more important.

I think its got more to do with mastering what you have. I used the !!!! out of my ace 250 and was pulling merc's out that were directly under rusty nails 4" down. Its all about the tones! IMHO until they make X-Ray glasses to see whats down there, your just wasting your money buying another machine unless your achieving depth.
GL and HH
North

Back
Top Bottom