Talk me into a Nox 800

Swing360

curbstrip nut
Forum Supporter
Do I REALLY want one? I want to try something new. I'm curious what putting down the CTX and picking up something different will teach me.

Is there something left or right of the Nox I should consider? It has to be submersible for my lake days and as capable in the dirt.

Don't get one, there rubbish 😁

Attachments

• 20200416_095524_copy_1224x1632.jpg
    20200416_095524_copy_1224x1632.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 446
I'd just use the CTX if it's all the same.

Looks like you have other units for scouting, but an XP would be very fast and lightweight if scouting in less than high mineralization or saltwater. XP has water kits for lake use, up to about the same depth as Nox if I recall.

XP loses TID accuracy at less depth than the Nox according to folks.

I have the CTX, Etrac and nox 800. They all have their place. But if you ever hunt an old site that is mostly iron for trash and no modern trash to speak of.... the NOX will spank the etrac and CTX in these old sites. Hands down no comparison. Now get into a town lot that is full of modern trash like piston head parts, electronic parts, brass etc i much prefer the Etrac and CTX.

You need to hunt the NOX by tone mostly and just watch the ID for glimpses of preferred ID numbers but all the weight needs to be on tone. IF you use the NOX as a beep and dig solid numbers only then you might as well not get one, because it is not any better than say an AT Pro or similar detector when used that way.

I have the CTX, Etrac and nox 800. They all have their place. But if you ever hunt an old site that is mostly iron for trash and no modern trash to speak of.... the NOX will spank the etrac and CTX in these old sites. Hands down no comparison. Now get into a town lot that is full of modern trash like piston head parts, electronic parts, brass etc i much prefer the Etrac and CTX.

You need to hunt the NOX by tone mostly and just watch the ID for glimpses of preferred ID numbers but all the weight needs to be on tone. IF you use the NOX as a beep and dig solid numbers only then you might as well not get one, because it is not any better than say an AT Pro or similar detector when used that way.

I agree totally. FBS your paying for the best discrimination in the business. Equinox seperates way better than FBS but the discrimination isn't that good,you'll dig more junk

Thanks for this. Is can slaw an issue at really old sites? Guessing not before modern powered mowers and farm implements. I have about 200 acres up north with a cellar hole and stone walls, and will plan to take a Nox to check it out. There should be no modern junk because it's quite remote.

I'll keep it simple, if you lived within a 100 miles of me, I would recommend anything left or right of the NOX, but since you live further than that, I would recommend the NOX.

Thanks for this. Is can slaw an issue at really old sites? Guessing not before modern powered mowers and farm implements. I have about 200 acres up north with a cellar hole and stone walls, and will plan to take a Nox to check it out. There should be no modern junk because it's quite remote.

That is a great place to hunt the NOX , ive been using mine at early 1900 sites where there is no modern trash just iron and i have been really doing well. It excels in heavy iron where the FBS not so much.

Just all different tools Swing. If you can own both the EQX and CTX comfortably then I can recommend it, having done so. Because of the places I hunt, I no longer have the EQX but it is VERY good at what it does. And of course consider...different people “mesh” with different machines, and you won’t know until you put some hours on one. I actually liked the EQX quite a bit, but it just didn’t add much to my overall results in the conductive trash-littered places I hunt, which are fairgrounds, schools and ball fields. I might get another one down the road, it depends on how my hunting “profile” evolves.
I got one of the later ones produced, so it was updated and the shaft wobble was fixed. It’s a well built unit, it feels good in the hand. I never had it under water so I can’t vouch for the ability there. The 800 has ALOT of options and adjustability, and comes with the WM08 to be Wi-Stream wireless. It’s a lot of machine for the money, you can’t hardly go wrong even if you don’t use it all that often.

You've probably seen the threads and/or vids on equinox and water, but good to test it out during warranty in any case. There are some other things to help with sealing the connection to the rod but hopefully they have improved it or ironed out occasional issues.

Would go for a 600 for $5xx if I had to do it again (vs picking up an 800). One is 450 in classifieds, if it has warranty left. Sounds like around 2 of the 3 years passed but would verify with ML.

Don't get one, there rubbish 😁

I KNew it!!! :laughing:

I think y'all have provided me with what I wanted. Im going to pick up one here shortly and see what it's all about.

It will be interesting to go back over pounded out curb strips and see what ai missed with the AT and the CTX. Ya just never know...

I KNew it!!! :laughing:

I think y'all have provided me with what I wanted. Im going to pick up one here shortly and see what it's all about.

It will be interesting to go back over pounded out curb strips and see what ai missed with the AT and the CTX. Ya just never know...

Remember go by tone first and foremost! It is not like the ctx and etrac where you get rock solid id's . Look for glimpses of the ID as you work the target. I use 5 tones custom setup, fe 0, recovery around 4 or 5. good luck

Depends on what type hunting you do and what areas. Myself, I relic hunt for Civil War relics and hunt old homesites for old coins and relics. Im in Eastern Tennessee and we have some pretty minerlaized soil. The Equinox is hands down the best detector Ive ever owned for MY hunting types and locations. Plus its waterproof and is awesome in fresh water and works great in salt water for the few times I make it to that area a year. I had the CTX from when it came out, until I saw the Equinox debut and its lightning fast recovery speed. My finds really improved with the Equinox, the CTX is a great machine, but not in my mineralized soil and not around iron infested civil war camps and homesites. So, if you are a coinshooter that does mostly modern parms, the Equinox will work, but there are other detectors that have better id systems for that task, but if your huntstyle is similar to mine, the Equinox cant be beat!

Back
Top Bottom