Titanium??

bobm31

I have been told that the "airport metal detectors" will NOT detect titanium. Is this true? I thought they are "all metal" detectors and titanium is metal.

Any comments?

After some Googling it seems the older detectors would not pick up titanium; the newer ones will. Of course, finding PURE titanium anywhere would be a rare thing. My guess is the newer detectors sniff out the alloying metals more easily.

Oklahunter said:
After some Googling it seems the older detectors would not pick up titanium; the newer ones will. Of course, finding PURE titanium anywhere would be a rare thing. My guess is the newer detectors sniff out the alloying metals more easily.

The reason I asked the question, is that I have a couple of friends that have titanium implants. I said I guess that you have to carry a "card" to show when you set off the metal detectors at the airport. One of them told me that they didn't because titanium wouldn't set them off. She hasn't tried it yet.

That's the exact situation I was reading about on the Web, and the advice was this: wear clothing that is loose enough to allow you to show your scars!!! And go early, of course. :P

When i am at work, "I work on airplanes" we have to wear steel toe boots. My boots have a titanium toe, and it sets the detectors off. I am sure its not a high grade titanium but titanium none the less.

I have a titanium rod in my femur and it does set off my garrett probe.

I forgot all about it and was bending down all day going through clumps of dirt next to that leg and the probe kept going off but I never could locate the item I dug up. At then end of the day it finally dawned on me!!! DUH! :)

I forgot all about it and was bending down all day going through clumps of dirt next to that leg and the probe kept going off but I never could locate the item I dug up. At then end of the day it finally dawned on me!!! DUH! :)

:lol::lol::lol:

The reason I asked the question, is that I have a couple of friends that have titanium implants. I said I guess that you have to carry a "card" to show when you set off the metal detectors at the airport. One of them told me that they didn't because titanium wouldn't set them off. She hasn't tried it yet.

I have two cerebral implants. Some detectors will pick them up, others won't. The local courthouse here gets nothing but the courthouse in the next county over picks them up. Its the same with airports. I do have a letter from my Neurosurgeon (who claims they will not detect them) in case I have trouble.

My F2 will detect them.

I use titanium and it will set off a metal detector,

how else do you think we find titanium rings:p

if it is metal it will be detected

i have a spinal cord stim implant and when i go thru airport security they don't even look at my card, i always get pulled off to the side and held in some clear cage until the security dude comes over and has to pat me down.....its a little scary when he busts out those white rubber gloves :lol:

One of my favorite posts ever...

I wear a watch with a titanium case and band. Every time it's any where near my coil the detector reads it loud and clear.
BB

Back
Top Bottom