Small North Carolina Town - Pic Heavy

Philbyfile

Forum Supporter
I posted earlier in the week regarding my father's gift to me of a new Garrett 250 and sundry accessories. Not only am I blessed with one heck of a Dad, but I am also blessed with a wonderful wife who actually encouraged me to get into this hobby. Surprisingly, she is still supports it :laughing:

My mother-in-law grew up in a very small rail town in NC and still owns her childhood home which was built in 1870. The population of this town is approximately 500+/- and she literally knows everybody. There are a number of abandoned homes from the heyday of the town when the railroad still ran through it and I have an open invitation to hunt all of them. The best part is that no one has ever MD'd the area before.

I only had a couple of days this visit so I chose to hit my mother-in-law's yard pretty hard.

Below are a few pictures of my finds:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The Indian Head is an 1899 (Finally in the 19th century!!) Would appreciate any input on cleaning it up a bit.

No idea about the spur and any idea would be greatly appreciated.

The headstamp is a Federal no. 12 hi-power (paper tube) and I am hoping Turtlefoot will see this and help out on that one.

There is also a 1938 Rabies tag, a button with "Belk's" on it, a 1942 wheatie, a 1971 quarter, and another tag which I am still working on a better pic of.

All pics are on my profile if you'd like a better look.

WOW! Great hunt! Those spurs are very cool. I've cleaned a few Indians using hot/boiling hydrogen peroxide, however, it can change their color.

Great first hunt there!!!
Envy your huntin grounds!!

Apologies on the political comment.

Last edited:
I'm FAR from an expert on these things, but it looks like a M1859 to me.

Great first hunt there!!!
What's up with your state government ??

Let's check politics at the door. We all have our own opinions about what is the right course of action, and none of it is relevant here.

I'm FAR from an expert on these things, but it looks like a M1859 to me.

Let's check politics at the door. We all have our own opinions about what is the right course of action, and none of it is relevant here.

gtoast, I think you hit it on the head with that spur! Thanks. I used to live in Burlington and wish I had been in the hobby then. You have an incredible collection.

Now, since I will never sell this thing...should I clean it up and shine it?

Amen to leaving politics at the door! This is a metal detecting forum or relic hunting forum! Congrats on the possibilities you have to uncover. Those were some great finds already. Hope the best of luck for you.

Back
Top Bottom