Old Map info

petejc

I am VERY new at this ..just got a Garrett ACE 400 and trying to learn where to hunt...How do you guys find these old maps of buildings, battle sites, and other stuff to hunt. I don't even know how to search for that kind of stuff. Can you give me some tips on how. Thanks, Pete

Sanborns are awesome, you could also try historic aerials or historic map works. Another good resourse would be a local library. Often they have a local history room with old newspaper articals, maps, books etc that pertain to your area. Bring a phone with a good camera since they typically don't allow you to check them out but you and research until your heart is content.

Then when you get your maps upload them to Maprika and see whats changed or whats the same.
There are links to Sandborn maps on the forum.

I haven't found the Sanborn maps in a KML version yet but I bring them into Google Eart myself and orthorectify them as best as GE will allow.

I lost access to ArcGIS last year... :Sad:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm a huge fan of USGS' topoviewer site. Transparency slider. download the KML for Google Earth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Library of Congress (loc.gov) is my go to, followed by old out of print history books on Google Books.

Back
Top Bottom