My father's Books; Civil War and more :)

sunder62

Forum Supporter
Hello Forum Members! This is a very special post for me. I contacted Carol and she advised me to post it here.

My father, Rodman L. Underwood, had an interest in Civil War History throughout his life, and in his retirement decided to put it to print. His countless hours of research of the internet, on-site visits, interviews, library and historical research, and so much more I don't know about cummilated in his works shown in the links below. I know his beliefs and histrological morals follow the same paths that most MD'rs here follow. He brings the past to the present, the myth to the fact, and the mystery to your heart.

His first book "Death on the Nueces", my personal favorite, recounts the plight of German Americans loyal to the Union trying to flea a (Civil) war torn Texas. More is explained in the links. When my Dad wrote this first book, I was like " Whooa dude, my dad wrote a book!" ( sorry for the "Californianisms" there pops!) It's truly a good book and it has great maps, pics and of course a lot of factual and heavily researched material. His works have been authenticated by the Library of Congress. This is not "Green Eggs and Civil War ham"!!!

Shortly after this my dad contacted me and told me of his next endeavor: Waters of Discord: The Union Blockade of Texas During the Civil War. Now I knew he was serious about this stuff! It was published a few years later as it too had to be authenticated by the Library of Congress and Texas Historians prior to it's release along with his 3rd book that came shortly thereafter.

Stephen Russell Mallory: A Biography of the Confederate Navy Secretary And United States. As a Biography of the Confederate Navy Secretary and United States Senator, this contains insight to this often overlooked man of our history and evolvement as a United States. It is very factual, correct, and a good read.

For the Texas Metal Detector enthusiasts out there; we all know that research is the key to good finds. I am now learning more about history than ever before. Some of it is from the inet, and now...I am learning to read my own fathers very concise, factual and historicaly correct books. It may have been years before I did this without my interest in Metal Detecting. It's my Dad's books that have conjured up my thoughts of the past. I regret not reading them cover to cover the very first day I received them with a loving inscription. Now I will. They are very "complete" and leave nothing untouched. Thanks Dad.:(

For those who live in other states you will find invaluable material here also. In history, everything seems to tie together in one form or another. Thanks to all members for reading this rather long post. As I said, It's special to me and is not a "Pitch" for my father's books. I merely present them to you for your review. If anyone here knows an "Underwood", or is in research about one of us, see: Underwood Families of Caledonia, Ohio: A History and Genealogy The latest work of my dad. Also invaluable in your comprehensive research endeavors!

So, Thanks for reading. This took me 2 hours to write! My longest post! ( Can I get an extra star for this Carol??! )

This post dedicated to my Loving Father, Rodman L. Underwood and my Step-Mother, Carol J. Underwood.

Thanks for reading,
Scott R. Underwood (sunder62)
(Sorry for any typo's dad...I'm werkin' on it!) ;)

Links and Pics:

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&app...books&field-author=Rodman L. Underwood&page=1

Attachments

• Death on the Nueces.jpg
    Death on the Nueces.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 287
  • Mallory.jpg
    Mallory.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 268
  • Waters of Discord.jpg
    Waters of Discord.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 281
  • Underwood Family.jpg
    Underwood Family.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 281
Cool! Thanks for posting this Scott! :yes:

Are the books for sale anywhere on the web?

MD services in San Antonio, TX

Metal Detecting services in San Antonio, TX :yes:

Attachments

• Liberty Detecting & Recovery.jpg
    Liberty Detecting & Recovery.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
Nice! Is that your business card? Great idea. :yes:

Thanks Carol! Yes, I thought I would make something professional looking for when the time comes. I'm on the road about 250 days a year, but I like to be prepared :) (I added "Insurance Claims Recovery") -- Insurance companies will often pay a certain percentage if the item is found :)
I see one MD'r in Australia who ask's 20% for recovery, and for Insurance companies, I don't mind charging them;)

I would be glad to help anybody on this forum with their Biz Card also.. for free.

Yeah, that IS a nice card! Just seeing that makes me want to have a few designed for myself. Great job!

Great post Scott!! Your father is a great man! I hope to read some of his books soon!

Back
Top Bottom