You Just Never Know!

ollievon

Elite Member
So, as they say "persistence does pay off" and this coin is proof positive. I was with a buddy hitting a field across the street from a house built in 1770. I've hit this field at least 4-5 times and come up totally empty, with the exception to a few rough flat buttons.

We noticed that the field has gone from corn to clover, and the first cut of clover had already taken place, so the farmer didn't seem overly concerned with us detecting on the new growth, sweet! So, instead of breaking our ankles walking on turned field, we had a nice smooth surface to swing - although it was easier, the tones were few and far between - but I actually prefer the sweet plain sound of threshold instead of unending iron warbles, I would think most would agree.

Out of nowhere I get a solid dime tone, but being the usual pessimist, I expected a mangled piece of can slaw at 6" down, but not this time! I couldn't find it at first and then noticed a nice shiny dime sized coin, so I was thrilled. I get it out the ground and read "One Dime" on the back, and said to my buddy "gotta Barber", and as I cleaned off the dry dirt I see "CC", which is incredibly uncommon here in the East, at least from my experience.

I flip the coin over and see Liberty seated in great condition and the year 1877...YES!

So, the moral is go slow and don't give up in the hobby, although it can feel like you have fallen out of favor with the MD gods, but clearly there are still plenty of great coins just waiting to be found, just keep at it!

Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_3605.JPG
    IMG_3605.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_3606.JPG
    IMG_3606.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 256
Wow! That's awesome. Great story, thanks for sharing, I'll be remembering it when I'm hunting those spots that have been hiding all the great finds.

Seateds are about my most favorite designed coins next to the peace dollar, congratulations on your persistence and find!

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Seateds are about my most favorite designed coins next to the peace dollar, congratulations on your persistence and find!

Agreed! I was thinking that too!...In fact, I bought a Peace dollar yesterday at a flea market for $18...Sure it was priced over $2 todays silver value, but I like them and liked the conversation with the old guy selling it...didnt even try to dicker him down....so hell, for the price of 6 gallons of gas or 3 packs of cheap cigarettes?...I got an old silver coin...fondling it at this very moment...:laughing:

Agreed! I was thinking that too!...In fact, I bought a Peace dollar yesterday at a flea market for $18...Sure it was priced over $2 todays silver value, but I like them and liked the conversation with the old guy selling it...didnt even try to dicker him down....so hell, for the price of 6 gallons of gas or 3 packs of cheap cigarettes?...I got an old silver coin...fondling it at this very moment...:laughing:
Would have looked to have given you a like on your story Mud but my device hasn't shown a like icon on the friendly forum fo several months now, don't know. Anyway congrats.

Back
Top Bottom