• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Minelab X-Terra 70 pros & cons

poptab

Any Minelab users out there? I heard the Minelab X-Terra is a pretty versatile machine (might add an extra coil for trashy areas as well). Anybody have the pros & cons for this machine? Love the forum. Lot's a great info out there!

Poptab

Not trying to start any flaming, but i have noticed quite a few threads talking about issues with the Minelab MD's... They sound kind of "buggy" to me. I would love to upgrade from the umax at some point, but think i'll go MXT vs the 70...

Really? I haven't. I can only think of two, SkiWhiz's from SOME time ago, and then a member who recently had one where he felt the pinpointing function seemed to be acting up or not working.

I have the X-Terra 30, and would completely love to have either the 50 or 70, because they have a few extra features such as ground balancing and dual frequencies.

Completely form the point of view of being a X-Terra owner, hands down a great machine in the price range. The tones are great, VDI is helpful, pinpointing function is remarkeably accurate (95% of the time center coil). The depth could be worked on a bit, but for the most part is generally accurate within 2" groups. I'd buy another in a heartbeat, and probably will when I upgrade in the future.

I have put many hours behind my Xterra 70 and it has been a great performer without any issues. It is very easy to learn this machine and will produce great results. I know when I take the Xterra 70 into the field, confidence is high. Ok just wanted to share my experience with the X70 and this is my opinion.

John Tomlinson,CET

I was referring to the link provided above. Although it does seem like Minelab has excellent support. I would love to go that route, saving some much needed $$$

I have the X-Terra 30, and would completely love to have either the 50 or 70, because they have a few extra features such as ground balancing and dual frequencies.

Actually the machine works at one of two frequencies, depending on which coil is mounted on it. On that basis, it is less flexible than the DFX, or the multi-frequency Explorer.

Really? I haven't. I can only think of two, SkiWhiz's from SOME time ago, and then a member who recently had one where he felt the pinpointing function seemed to be acting up or not working.

Completely form the point of view of being a X-Terra owner, hands down a great machine in the price range. The tones are great, VDI is helpful, pinpointing function is remarkeably accurate (95% of the time center coil). The depth could be worked on a bit, but for the most part is generally accurate within 2" groups. I'd buy another in a heartbeat, and probably will when I upgrade in the future.

I was the one who had to send the detector back with pinpointing problems. That is the only thing that has gone wrong. I used the pinpoint mode to much anyway because I dont have a pinpointer. I love it. Im picking up the 5X10 coil soon. When I get more money I probably will get the 70

It wasn't that I didn't like the Xterra it was that it didn't work for me. Might of been something to do with the factory preset ground balance. I had the Xterra 30. It was the only factory preset ground balanced detector that I have ever owned beside a Tesoro Compadre that didn't work for me. I sent the Compadre in to the factory nothing wrong found with it, I sold it & the guy that bought it couldn't be happier. Steve.

Actually the machine works at one of two frequencies, depending on which coil is mounted on it. On that basis, it is less flexible than the DFX, or the multi-frequency Explorer.

Actually the 70 works on 3 different frequencies depending on the coil choice.3, 7.5, and 18.75 kHz and it is a wonderfull machine. I purchased mine in the Spring and have never regretted my purchase.It is very light, easy to learn and is quite versatile. I guess we all have our opinions but I will definately recomend the X-terr70. I must be honest and say that I had mine in for repairs once and the service was fine, I have talked to many other owners who have had no problems whatsoever. As far as ground balancing it is either manual or automatic on the 70, manual on the 50 and fixed on the 30.

I have the xtera 70 and an etrac.

Im new to both. Without a dought the xtera is my go to machine. That could change but the 6 inch 18.75 khz dd coil will probably keep it as my very adept go to machine in high trash areas. I was using the Etrac yesterday and had so much iron in the ground that I was back to my Xtera half way through the day. I think the Xtera is an awesome machine and it has the flexability of multiple coils (i have five). At this point I just have a much easier time ID'ing targets with the Xtera and its not for any other reason than its simplicity of use. Got the Etrac within a week of the Xterra and I still am having my problems with it. Hope this helps. I use both units about every other day and will answer any other questions I can if you like. Just PM me. Must remind you I am a novice though and there are probably many more knowlegeable folks here. Good luck. One other note. The Xtera is very light and easy to swing all day.

Novice here as well, my machine is an XT 70 and very very happy with it.

Ive only been out a few times and seem to come with coins.

To a newbie.....this is way cool.

When I learn my machine better, I hope to do better on targets.

Back
Top Bottom