First Hunt Advice

Terrain Twister

Purchased a Fisher F2 for the wife for Christmas along with some basic Garrett Metal Detector headphones. The Fisher was purchased from Kellyco and is the value package 2. It has both the 4" and 8" coils.

We'll be at her brothers home in Mesa, AZ this year with a playground just behind his house.

Want to try and make sure her first experience is a good one so I'm looking for some basic advice I can print out for her and keep my fingers crossed that she finds something. Not expecting a treasure chest but don't want her to get discouraged with pop tabs either.

Anything you can offer would be appreciated.

sneak away from her and seed the area with a few coins
and maybe a little box with 1 jewlery item
put a note inside of box saying honey i love you
hope you enjoyed finding this ... and then look at here face!:yes:
if that doesn't do the trick nothing will...

Do either of you have experience metal detecting? If not, it might help to read the manual well in advance and watch some youtube videos on pinpointing and digging a proper plug. Typically it's advised to practice in your own yard first on known targets (i.e. toss a coin on the ground) as well as find some unknowns that are sure to be there. The manual is certainly the place to start, youtube for good examples, as well as advice from this forum. My advice (aside from what I've already mentioned) is only dig strong repeatable signals until you get the hang of it. Hope the first experience is a good one! Congrats on your purchase. :cool:

Purchased a Fisher F2 for the wife for Christmas along with some basic Garrett Metal Detector headphones. The Fisher was purchased from Kellyco and is the value package 2. It has both the 4" and 8" coils.

We'll be at her brothers home in Mesa, AZ this year with a playground just behind his house.

Want to try and make sure her first experience is a good one so I'm looking for some basic advice I can print out for her and keep my fingers crossed that she finds something. Not expecting a treasure chest but don't want her to get discouraged with pop tabs either.

Anything you can offer would be appreciated.

It's Christmas around the corner....buy her something nice....as in jewelry....make sure she finds it with the metal detector. It's a WIN-WIN!

Take her to a local park that has a tot-lot. Most are easy to dig as they have either wood chips or shredded rubber. You won't believe the clad you will find. Sometimes you might pick up a few pieces of jewelry also.

All good suggestions but buying jewelry and burying it is more than I can afford. I did however pick up a challenge coin from the NFR last weekend that I know she wants so perhaps I'll bury that in the sand at the playground instead of wrapping it.

I already have Digger's thread on the F2 saved for her to read along with a little word doc I've put together on some tips for using the MD.

Really good advice here. You get better at detecting the more you do it. Practice practice practice. This is a great hobby. Enjoy!

My advice is to spend the next couple weeks watching videos on youtube that are specific to the type MD you bought.

Watch and see what they do...what they hear...what tools they use...how they pinpoint...how they dig a hole...how they pacth up the hole...etc.

That's what I did and the day I got my 350 I hit the ground running.

First hole we dug was a quarter hitting right where I learned it would based on research and observation. Even used the pinpointer function and made a plug less than 6"

Within the first 2 months I've found a gold ring and 3 silver rings plus silver coins.

GL and happy digging.

I'm in Phoenix and you have tons of parks in Mesa to hunt. You can go to the little local one in your neighborhood but if you can find an old school that's now a park even better. I know they exist out there. Any park should do it but you will need a pinpointer. My advice is practice in your backyard. I found a ton of stuff in my yard before ever going out in public. She also might feel scared or nerdy out in public on her first day so don't push the public thing to much. People do tend to stare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom