Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Sunspot Scoops
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Cleaning Your Finds

Old 09-14-2018, 11:06 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by ChrisMD View post
I guess I never talked about this. In my ultrasonic tank, I always use plain old water. I use zip lock bags to do the actual cleaning, with whatever cleaning solution and coins in the bag. Then I use clothespins to hook the ziplock bags to the side of the basket. Heat up as high as it can go. Vinegar and salt works great, but anything used in normal coin cleaning should work. Stuff like jewelry cleaner, simple green, orange cleaner, etc. There is commercially available clean coiner that I'm going to order and try with that. But plain old mortans table salt and vinegar is always a winner.
"clean coiner" sounds like something I would say.
Thanks, I'll try a few things, and see what works...when I get time.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:47 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Foragist View post
"clean coiner" sounds like something I would say.
Thanks, I'll try a few things, and see what works...when I get time.
Hahahahaha, must be dementia setting on, because I gave the booze up 2 years ago

Old 10-04-2018, 04:57 PM
Elite Member

How does this work on straight rusted iron objects? I have some iron relics that Id like to clean. Ive been piling them up until I finally make an electrolysis unit but this seems much easier to use perhaps

Old 10-04-2018, 06:55 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by yacorie View post
How does this work on straight rusted iron objects? I have some iron relics that Id like to clean. Ive been piling them up until I finally make an electrolysis unit but this seems much easier to use perhaps
Well here's my first attempt at cleaning up an old rusty object: A crescent wrench I dug. Completely rusted solid, as you can see in the before pic. I ran it my Trusonik unit, in a baggie of Evaporust, for several 10, 15, and 20 minute cycles. Mostly with the heat all the way up. I also let it soak at night, and did several cycles the next day. Then the liquid was really dark, with a lot of rust particles in it, but I still could not get any movement in the wrench parts. I then ran it for several more cycles; this time in vinegar. After a couple days, I got it to break free, and eventually, I was able to disassemble it, and clean the parts separately. I oiled and reassembled it. It works, but sticks; not smooth. I do like the grippy texture of the handle now. In summary, I probably used three or four dollars worth of electricity, and a lot of time and effort, to revive it to a point where I can use it, but I wouldn't pay a quarter for it if I saw it at a garage sale. Good experiment, but wasn't worth it.
I also did a double bit axe head in hot vinegar/salt. It wasn't too rusty to start with, so after several 20 min hot cycles, it came out stripped very clean.
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2018, 07:56 PM
Elite Member

Thank you for responding.

I don't have any intention of using the items that I have. Its a bunch of old horseshoes, ox shoes, various metal rings/spikes and a few old Ox bells I assume.

Just cleaning them up would be fine with me so they look better. I think I'm going to order one of those and give it a try.