Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Other Forums > Family Friendly Topics

Old 10-06-2016, 03:27 PM
Elite Member

Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas

Originally Posted by BottleCapKing View post
I will grant you that it is true for many, but not all. When you have a malignant narcissist in charge that will put his/her own image/personal wealth above so they can keep up with the other CEOs in their umm... waving contest, that is a problem.

A lot of CEOs are much like professional athletes. They measure their self worth by how much they get paid, not how they perform. If someone is making more than they are, it is a personal affront to their self worth.

CEO's get paid a ton of cash because there are not a lot of people who can do the job. It is the whole supply and demand. Any one can sweep a floor so the labor costs are minimal. Very few people can run a company. Sadly, Boards are paying CEOs based upon their name as opposed to what they can do. Because a CEO had success in one company and or industry, doesn't mean they can do the same in other companies and industries.
JCPenney certainly hired the wrong guy.
He was supposed to be their savior....instead he screwed them up even worse.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/8/420...m-ceo-position

Currently hunting with an F70, a Mojave and a borrowed Red Racer.
Plus a Nox 800.

Old 10-06-2016, 03:57 PM
"Can Do" Moderator

On the Craftsman replacement subject, I have read several threads on several forums where someone has dug up an old screwdriver or hammer or other Craftsman tool, took it into a Sears and Bingo, walked out with a new tool!

The times they are a changing!

Old 10-06-2016, 04:10 PM
Supporter

Bought my first knife with my own money at Western Auto...I still have it, a Schrade 110T muskrat trapper, identical twin blades....perfect for skinning things...yep, all paid for with muskrat pelts initially and many times over....I hate China steel and what has happened to the World...I gotta good blade and a Zippo...a few skills and moderate health...let it all fall down as far as I'm concerned. 'Course those blue plastic Chinese tarps are third on the list...a guy has to have a tarp...
Mud

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:35 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by bruinvikes View post
Sears, Kmart, Montgomery Ward, Woolworths and JCPenny were the big stores back in the day, now they're all very close to being gone for good
I think that Woolworths and Montgomery Wards are gone now. JC Penny's, at least locally, seems to be hanging on.

Old 10-06-2016, 05:13 PM
Elite Member

If I remember right I think Kmart put Zayre out of business. I worked a round DC in the 70s Zayre was the go to store. They were in operation from 1956 through 1990, first Kmart opened in March 1962.

Old 10-06-2016, 05:15 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Mike1961 View post
I think that Woolworths and Montgomery Wards are gone now. JC Penny's, at least locally, seems to be hanging on.
You're right, those two are already gone, but my point being that those were primarily the only stores around and they all were very reputable stores. Now there's hundreds of different stores and not one of those will be around as long as any of the five I mentioned. Just my opinion.

Fisher F70, Fisher F44, Fisher F2, 2018 clad: $0.01, Silver coins: 0, Indian heads: 0, Wheaties: 0, Gold rings: 0, Silver rings: 0, Total clad: $286.80, (after paying off the F2), Silver coins: 38, Gold rings: 4

Old 10-07-2016, 12:03 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by bruinvikes View post
You're right, those two are already gone, but my point being that those were primarily the only stores around and they all were very reputable stores. Now there's hundreds of different stores and not one of those will be around as long as any of the five I mentioned. Just my opinion.
Yes, they were reputable stores and a shame they are not around anymore.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:28 PM
Elite Member

Location: Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and Kansas
Default The end might be nearer than anyone thought....

Top executives leaving the company right before the third quarter earnings announcement and right in the middle of the Christmas season.
This is not good...mention of a catastrophic event like bankruptcy might be coming sooner than predicted.

http://www.businessinsider.com/sears...016-12?ref=yfp

Any stockholders left might have a stressful Christmas season and their remaining employees might be sweating pretty good too.

They lasted from 1886 to 2016 if this is it for them....they had a good run.

"Jeff Balagna, formerly Sears' executive vice president, left the company Wednesday, "in order to focus on his other business interests and pursue other career opportunities," Sears said in an SEC filing dated November 23.

Balagna did not respond to a request for comment. Sears declined to comment beyond what was stated in the filing.

Sears President and Chief Member Officer Joelle Maher also left the company this week, Sears confirmed to Business Insider. The company declined to give a reason for her departure.

The timing of the departures so close to Sears' upcoming third-quarter earnings report and in the middle of the holiday season is "highly unusual," according to Mark Cohen, director of retail studies at Columbia Business School and the former CEO of Sears Canada.

Cohen, who was fired from Sears in 2004, is an outspoken critic of the company and its CEO Eddie Lampert. He speculated that the timing of the departures could be indicative of something "catastrophic" in its upcoming earnings report.

The company declined to comment on Cohen's remarks."

Currently hunting with an F70, a Mojave and a borrowed Red Racer.
Plus a Nox 800.

Old 12-03-2016, 07:38 PM
Administrator

It's sad. It shows how easily an iconic company can be brought down by a series of incompetent managers and an inept Board of Directors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never, under any circumstances, take a laxative and a sleeping pill, on the same night.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:06 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by GKL View post
I remember as a teenager checking to see what they were selling when the blue light went on, and I remember the smell of fresh popcorn as some stores back then sold bags of fresh popcorn near the front of the store.

I just did a search online and it looks like the blue light specials are back.

Attachment 364590Attachment 364591

Calvin was a Blue Light special ?
Attachment 364592
I remember how all the old ladies would actually run with their carts to get there first, If you were in the path of any blue haired old woman when that light went on you were getting run over. Sad to see these companies fail, as a kid there was no better time than when the sears christmas catalog came in the mail.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:10 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
Bought my first knife with my own money at Western Auto...I still have it, a Schrade 110T muskrat trapper, identical twin blades....perfect for skinning things...yep, all paid for with muskrat pelts initially and many times over....I hate China steel and what has happened to the World...I gotta good blade and a Zippo...a few skills and moderate health...let it all fall down as far as I'm concerned. 'Course those blue plastic Chinese tarps are third on the list...a guy has to have a tarp...
Mud

So your Schrade brand has been owned by Taylor brands for some time, and those are imported now, better take care of the one you've got!

Old 12-03-2016, 08:23 PM
Elite Member

Neither Sears or the Craftsman line of tools have been what they once were for a long time now. Since outsourcing became the way to remain competitive in business there has been a steady decline for every retailer in the country. Then the last nail in the coffin was the internet. Its now a struggle for those left to compete online with everybody shopping from home on a computer with the world at their fingertips. There is no one particular thing to blame for it , its a lot of different things added together.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:50 PM
Official Tot Lot King

When KT was younger and trying to build up a decent tool set, He used to visit various pawn shops and purchase craftsmen sockets, broken ratchets, screw drivers, etc. Once home if they were determined to be no good, He would make a run to Sears and exchanfpge them for nice new ones! Ha ha. Built up a pretty nice set of tools over the years doing that! but His Majesty quit it the first time He was given an off brand in exchange...a few years after KT started that practice. After that when a new socket was needed, KT just hit the "American-made" hand tools bin at the Pawn Shop? Slightly higher priced per piece, but still good quality.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:54 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by KingTotsalot View post
After that when a new socket was needed, KT just hit the "American-made" hand tools bin at the Pawn Shop?
And flea markets.

Old 12-03-2016, 11:04 PM
Official Tot Lot King

Originally Posted by Detector Nut View post
And flea markets.
Except for really old tools, KT has never seen anything but Chinese junk tools at my local fleamarts, along with 100s of those cheapo chinese knives, swords and katanas...wonder who in the world buys that junk?

Old 12-03-2016, 11:13 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by CTCurt View post
Sears lost me years ago. My wife and I were rehabbing our house and went there for pricing on all the appliances we needed...(Stove,fridge,dishwasher,hoodfan, washer,dryer). The salesperson didn't seem interested at all in speaking to us. I think the fact we were very young, and how could we have that kind of cash to spend. But we did...and we didn't spend it there. I remember as a kid looking through their wishbook around Christmas. Boy, the things I wanted. Mini bikes, bb guns, fishing poles.... Very sad they have gotten to this point. K-Mart is a shambles also, (haven't been there in years). They ruined Lands End too.....
Me too. I used to always like their "Weatherbeater" line of paint. Until the day I went to the paint department and discovered it totally gone and replaced with an "Exercise Machine" department. Right then I realized they were losing it. Loved Kmart as well-too bad that went down also.

Old 12-03-2016, 11:13 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by ohiochris View post
Neither Sears or the Craftsman line of tools have been what they once were for a long time now. Since outsourcing became the way to remain competitive in business there has been a steady decline for every retailer in the country. Then the last nail in the coffin was the internet. Its now a struggle for those left to compete online with everybody shopping from home on a computer with the world at their fingertips. There is no one particular thing to blame for it , its a lot of different things added together.
The Craftsman line, has been just a name to put on tools purchased from other companies in the past 10-15 yeast many of them have been done by KD/Gearwrench.

Old 12-03-2016, 11:17 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by ohiochris View post
+1 Totally agree!

Old 12-04-2016, 12:02 AM
Elite Member

Sears is an old bucket of bolts...rusty and taking on water since the early 70s. She will finally and soon will be going down by the stern. K Mart will go down with her. A once great company that produced great products, service and dreams did not keep up with the times. When we can now shop online and be treated with good service, items in stock, products shipped to our doors, many other retailers may follow.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:52 AM
Supporter

Not what us old-timers are used to, but we know it's all part of the global plan.

My neighbor called the cops for me playing LED ZEPPELIN too loud...

They arrested him