Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Cleaning Your Finds

Old 08-19-2018, 10:43 AM
Supporter

Default V Nickel Cleaning Damage

So I found this V nickel yesterday. It looked to be in excellent shape when I dug it; with lots of detail, and a great patina. It had a little dirt stuck on it, so I held it under a trickle of running water, and gave it a scrubbing with a nylon brush. That's it. No chemicals. No scraping or picking. A few seconds of scrubbing on both sides. I saw no pitting at all before I cleaned it. Look at it now. Toast.
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2018, 12:18 PM
Elite Member

Wow.... that bites. Wonder if that had some fretilizer eating away at it for a few years. Thought those V's were pretty tough, saw alot of them cleaned with SOS pads that came out looking good. Just never know.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:49 PM
Elite Member

You didnt do anything wrong. The detail you saw when you dug it was the corrosion. If you did nothing and set it on a shelf, it would have ended up like that after it began to dry out anyway. BTW, its likely going to get worse.

Just a fact of detecting, nickels typically come out of the ground completely ruined. I use steel brushes to clean them.

My Twitter https://twitter.com/TheSilverFiend
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/detecting_silver/

Old 08-19-2018, 08:21 PM
Supporter

Sorry to see that, Foragist - but thanks for posting about it. Iíve been fortunate with my few V nickels that Iíve dug - cleaning with dish soap, water, and a soft toothbrush cleared off the majority of the dirt and didnít expose any additional pitting. My only Shield nickel didnít far as well though - like your V, my Shield actually lost detail after the gentle cleaning.

Thatís the downside to old nickels - they look bad if you donít clean them, and they usually still look bad when you do. And sometimes they come out flat out toasted. Like Jason said, you didnít do anything wrong - that corrosion/pitting would have come through eventually just sitting on a shelf. But more importantly, if you never dug it, it wouldíve been forever - so nice save regardless!

Oldest coin: 1853 Braided Hair Large Cent (Honorable Mention: 1857 Flying Eagle Cent)
Oldest silver: 1861 Seated Liberty Dime
Oldest foreign coin: 1859 Canadian Queen Victoria Large Cent

Garrett AT Max, Pro Pointer I & II
Detecting Since 4/2017 - Addicted Since 5/2017

Old 08-20-2018, 11:41 AM

no luck in cleaning them either. I have ruined several. but I have some drawer finds from my dad that were worn smooth. so the next one I find I am just going to carry it around in my change for a while, and see what happens. I also thought of... since they have no real value... of tumbling one in rocks and mineral oil in my Harbor freight tumbler. I have extra tumbling barrels so may dedicate one to that method for other items beside coins anyway.

Old 08-20-2018, 09:08 PM
Supporter

Thanks guys. I'll just go detect some more V nickels, so I can try different cleaning/preservation methods.

Old 08-20-2018, 10:15 PM
Elite Member

Yeah, that sucks!
Lots of injuns come out like that too

Old 08-21-2018, 05:16 PM
Elite Member

One to soak in nic a date