Anyone else's ATP head snap off?

Gorgar

Elite Member
Bought my ATP 12/27/2011. Have not contacted Garret yet. Not sure about the warranty. While detecting in the field, the head just fell off! Looks like it had been going on for awhile and snapped where the two screws attach. I am very careful about my machine and always keep it on my truck seat and hang it up when done. Anyone else? I think I can fix it myself, but not sure how yet... Any comments and info is greatly appreciated! BTW.. wrapped it up with electric tape and was able to finish the day!

:confused:

Attachments

• IMG_0554.jpg
    IMG_0554.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_0552.jpg
    IMG_0552.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_0553.jpg
    IMG_0553.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_0555.jpg
    IMG_0555.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_0556.jpg
    IMG_0556.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 336
Had it happen to me, I just put two new screws in and she's good to go. I'm sure you can also contact Garrett but I wasn't able to give up my ATP for a week, lol

GL and HH

Sorry to hear that.I would hate to be without my atp.Just got my pp back after some warranty work on it i was going crazy for about 2 weeks with out a pinpointer.Iam sure garrett will make it right.

Happened to me too, two weeks before end of waranty. Garrett repaired with new case.
I read where Ice Scratcher had the same problem.
Glad to hear new screws (assume longer) can fix in case it happens again.
Not sure but I might have held case while dealing with a jammed shaft cam lock.
Still love the machine.

Ive had mine since December of 2011. Beat the snot out of it! It rides on the front rack of the quad pretty regular. Its got dropped numerous times but hasn't had that happen yet. Keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't happen. In fact I wish I wouldn't have read this thread. lol

Hey G,

Sorry to hear about your machine. PIA when they're down.
I know how resourceful you are though, so I'm sure your down time will be minimal.

C

Did you get the email I sent you last night with info? If not, please call me.

Thanks Bart! Just did that. And will. Be sending him an email with pics and serial number. One step at a time. Thank you for your super fast reply here and via email. Glad I bought it from you.

Have 2 ATPs and happily this hasn't happened to me. But when I had only one, I had to send it in more minor service. While it was gone I missed it so started looking for a deal on another used one and found a great deal on an xTerra 705. It was a 2 year old Christmas gift that was never taken out of the box. When I got it I put in batteries and took it outside to test it. I made a couple of swings and the coil fell off. Seems BOTH lops that attach the coil to the shaft snapped. When I called Minelab they asked what I hit and they were skeptical but told me to send the coil back and they replaced it.
So now I had TWO machines out of commission and had to return to using my Ace 250s. And both machines returned on the same day....:laughing:

I've seen some videos, where someone replaced the short Garrett screws with longer ones.

I remember the poster saying that everyone ought to do that first thing!

I would hope that by now Garrett has corrected this problem on the newer units.
I have considered buying this detector but this housing problem along with the armcuffs
breaking have me wondering if the machine will stand up to relic hunting in thick woods.

Back
Top Bottom