1805 Draped Bust Half Dime

MikeyT2

I usually just enjoy reading posts, but had to write this one up. My wife and I were up to Northern MA this past week, and stayed at a 1740 property. After a day or so, I asked the innkeeper if I could detect his property. He said no problem, and proceeded to point out a few areas that may be good. After about two hours, and braving an infestation of gypsy moth caterpillars, I came up with a solid 83 on my AT Pro (with 5x8 coil) and dug a plug. Low and behold, about 3 inches down, discovered this 1805 Draped Bust Half Dime with Heraldic Eagle Reverse!!! The photo attached is about 15 seconds after the find, in my gloved hand (had to email my wife immediately). During the 2nd day of detecting, I found a 1873 Seated Dime (closed 3), a 1902 Barber Quarter and a 1927 Mercury Dime, a flat button, and $2.80 in various clad and 1940's pennies. Had to stop because of the bug bites!!

Attachments

• Half Dime Brimfield 2017.jpg
    Half Dime Brimfield 2017.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 526
  • 0513171900-1 ack.jpg
    0513171900-1 ack.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:
It doesn't count for an "atteboy". Because it's an east coast find. And we *all* know that every single sandbox over there is brimming with busts, colonial coppers, and large cents . :sissyfight:

It doesn't count for an "atteboy". Because it's an east coast find. And we *all* know that every single sandbox over there is brimming with busts, colonial coppers, and large cents . :sissyfight:

Yep . I get up every morning and look at my flowing hairs and drape busts and state coppers

Yep . I get up every morning and look at my flowing hairs and drape busts and state coppers

Don't yank our chains and try to say you don't have shoe-boxes full of them. We're on to your east coast tricks and lies. :laughing:

Wow that is an awesome find! I can only dream of finds like that!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Attached a photo of the back. You can see where I dinged the coin with my digger :o(

Amazing find Mike, and definitely worth crowing about. Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom