Tesoro Vaquero? would you buy one?

Rhunter

Hi again.....Any thoughts on the different Tesoro detectors?

Stumbled on the Vaquero detector and would like to know if anyone has used one or owns one. Thinking about keeping it simple and like what I have seen so far:) thanks again.

I'm not an expert on Tesoro. My experience is limited to the Mojave. Having looked at all their models, I kind of like the Tejon black with its D coil and dual discrimination circuits with ability to toggle back and forth with a trigger.

Also the vequero is 14khz and the Tejon is 17khz. So that should be a consideration depending on what you are after.

Tesoro is interesting to me because it's like driving a stick shift vs an automatic.

Tesoro guys correct me if I'm wrong.

I own and use several Tesoro's including the Vaquero, Tejon, Mojave, Bandido2 micromax, and both compadres. I would highly recommend the Vaquero. It is a very versatile machine, deeper than most and fun to use. If hunting old sites with lots of discarded iron and square nails, a good Tesoro with a 5.75 concentric coil is very hard to beat in performance.

I had a Vaquero and thoroughly enjoyed it. I used it primarily for relic hunting. I have a GB modded black Cibola that I'm having a blast with right now.

There's just something about Tesoro units. Take the time to learn the language and you'll be rewarded for it. The disc. is top notch but I do agree that having a 5.75" coil is a must for eeking out good targets in trash.

Stumbled across this video the other day you may find it interesting if you are considering a Vaquero.

It's hard to beat a Vaquero at any price!

I own and use several Tesoro's including the Vaquero, Tejon, Mojave, Bandido2 micromax, and both compadres. I would highly recommend the Vaquero. It is a very versatile machine, deeper than most and fun to use. If hunting old sites with lots of discarded iron and square nails, a good Tesoro with a 5.75 concentric coil is very hard to beat in performance.
You took the words right out of my mouth!

I had a Vaquero and thoroughly enjoyed it. I used it primarily for relic hunting. I have a GB modded black Cibola that I'm having a blast with right now.

There's just something about Tesoro units. Take the time to learn the language and you'll be rewarded for it. The disc. is top notch but I do agree that having a 5.75" coil is a must for eeking out good targets in trash.
I couldn't have said it better! I love my modded Cibola! Rusty told me that there was on search coil that I really needed, the 5.75 concentric search coil. He said it would pay for itself in no time. He was right!

beephead

Not anymore I just cant see myself constantly moving those disc knobs.

You don't suppose to be "constantly moving those disc knobs". You just set the discrimination and start digging all good sounding repeatable audio responses. It's that simple.

beephead

For those that own the Vaquero and Tejon, which one do you prefer and why.

i am watching this post closely so keep it going guys

I have an at gold and an mxt. right now I am stuck on indecision. I like the 2 units I have but feel like I am not getting the depth I want. and cant decide if I want to buy different coils for my machines or buy a new detector like the vaquero or perhaps f75ltd since both are deep machines. I am mostly interested in coin hunting. if I buy a new coil for my machines it would be almost as much as a new machine. this is my rock and a hard place.

I have an at gold and an mxt. right now I am stuck on indecision. I like the 2 units I have but feel like I am not getting the depth I want. and cant decide if I want to buy different coils for my machines or buy a new detector like the vaquero or perhaps f75ltd since both are deep machines. I am mostly interested in coin hunting. if I buy a new coil for my machines it would be almost as much as a new machine. this is my rock and a hard place.

You won't find a F75 ltd for about the same price as a coil. I don't know about the MXT but you can probably get a used 11" for the ATG for $75 shipped and get about 2" compared to the stock ATG coil...I have an 11" I'm not using lol.

The Vaq is pretty impressive if you like the beep and dig.

Last edited:
For all-around use...

For those that own the Vaquero and Tejon, which one do you prefer and why.

I prefer Vaquero over Tejon. Why? Vaquero is a bit lighter, uses a single 9v battery instead of 8AA, is less fussy to ground balance and has only the functions I need for coins and jewelry.
Tejon does have additional functions that I like, but really don't need; dual disc and adjustable tone. Those are nice to try out, but not really needed for the hunts I do.
That said, I don't use either one so much any more. Usually use a Bandido II μMAX, Outlaw or Mojave now.
Probably time to take Vaquero and Tejon out again. :sun:

I prefer Vaquero over Tejon. Why? Vaquero is a bit lighter, uses a single 9v battery instead of 8AA, is less fussy to ground balance and has only the functions I need for coins and jewelry.

Tejon does have additional functions that I like, but really don't need; dual disc and adjustable tone. Those are nice to try out, but not really needed for the hunts I do.

That said, I don't use either one so much any more. Usually use a Bandido II μMAX, Outlaw or Mojave now.

Probably time to take Vaquero and Tejon out again. :sun:

Good info thanks pinenut. I do like the dual disc and trigger functionality of the Tejon. If they made that to take a single 9v...it would be really cool. Thanks for the info on the Vaquero.

what is the best coil for the vac? Depth...coin and relic? I don't like to swing the big coils but was thinking about the black Vac with 9x8 plus a smaller DD coil. What coil set up do you recommend...thanks

sorry should have made my post more clear

I was saying if I buy a d2 coil and a 8.5x11 then I would be at 360 bucks where the vaquero is only 450 and fisher not all that much more for a used one. I just don't want to buy a coil and find its not all that much deeper and have wasted money when I could have got a deep machine for 100-150 more.

what is the best coil for the vac? Depth...coin and relic? I don't like to swing the big coils but was thinking about the black Vac with 9x8 plus a smaller DD coil. What coil set up do you recommend...thanks

The 11x8 coil is very light. Very easy to swing. The 5.75 concentric get good depth and good in trashy areas.

I've had both the Vaquero and the Tejon. I would recommend the Vaquero for general purpose use. The Tejon is a deep machine, but I found I was chasing lead pellets and 22's way deeper than I cared to dig. It's a good machine, but for coin and jewellery hunting I would take the Vaquero. Just more fun to use.

Back
Top Bottom