• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

My new detector found targets that none of my other detectors could find????

pine3874

Elite Member
I am so tired of reading posts from members that say they got a new detector and went back to sites that they've detected with all their other detectors and this new detector found targets that none of the other detectors found, thus implying that the other detectors wouldn't have found those targets if the coil had gone over them. Now if they had stated that before digging any of the targets they checked the target with all of the other detectors and none of them could hear the target, then that would be believable and possibly a good reason to investigate this new detector. However, without comparing apples to apples, just because a new detector finds targets that were overlooked with the other detectors doesn't mean they wouldn't have found them if the coil would have gone over them. Only by comparing detectors in real live digs can one make such statements in my opinion.

True that. Ive recently made some good finds in my pounded seated field. They weren't deep or masked. I just never got my coil over them. Im not selling my deus and getting a tracker IV though. Lol

Well,,I do post about finds made with my detectors,,even this one I'm testing.

Have I done any head to head?? Yep
But I haven't been given the greenlight to really talk about this.

I do tell folks what detectors I have had in a site,,,you notice,,none of my finds numbers with this detector I'm testing,,,,are cup runneth over.

Can after more sites have been hunted,,,can any conclusions be drawn??
I think so.

I'd do also pay attention to targets I dig,,,and try to find out why are they maybe being challenged so other detectors are struggling with.

Could any of the targets I've dug with the detector I'm testing,,have purely been missed beforehand?? Certainly

I muat also say,,,there is a difference between detectors,,meaning one may give me ample info to dig,,,another may give me even more than ample,,,,when all things coil position,,sweep speed, etc are equal.

Wonder which detector on average a person is liables to miss a find with,,even if they swing their coil over??

Just not a black and white situation here,,,some folks try and make it,,,but not true.

I wil bet also,,,when the general public is finally offered this detector I am testing,,the ones who buy,,,they will be reporting very similar info I have already done.

So we'll see.

Btw,,,ask Calabash and Suek who post here.
See if what I've said about Deus is true and has helped them.
There are others too.

Last edited:
I am so tired of reading posts from members that say they got a new detector and went back to sites that they've detected with all their other detectors and this new detector found targets that none of the other detectors found, thus implying that the other detectors wouldn't have found those targets if the coil had gone over them. Now if they had stated that before digging any of the targets they checked the target with all of the other detectors and none of them could hear the target, then that would be believable and possibly a good reason to investigate this new detector. However, without comparing apples to apples, just because a new detector finds targets that were overlooked with the other detectors doesn't mean they wouldn't have found them if the coil would have gone over them. Only by comparing detectors in real live digs can one make such statements in my opinion.

+ 1 , ya just don't see any head to head test of undug targets , MDs Even headphones . Good Luck

I went back to an old site and found two silver dimes real close to the surface . I searched with the same detecter with a differant coil. Now I KNOW I went over the coins before. The area was only 10x 10 and I hit it at least 6 times. I believe every coil, every detecter just plain works different . Just like wet soil is different when my ATP was being repaired, I used my Ace 350 and found stuff in a personally pounded site. Is the Ace a better machine because it found things the ATP left behind ? Like I said. I believe every machine, every coil, every day is different

I think many people are quick to jump on a bandwagon especially if they're not used to making great finds and get desperate to see if there's a magic detector that can produce when others haven't. I know I want to try one of the Mohave detectors but I am still not convinced that the Compadre is all that different in capabilities. Oftentimes we have more faith in a site producing than we have in our detectors ability to find the treasure. I know I have wanted to try different detectors on the same sites and have been successful, but I am not convinced it was because one detector was better than the next. I put more weight on the conditions of the ground and me missing a target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought my son a Bounty Hunter Jr for Christmas and our first time out he found this...

I didn't find it so I couldn't claim it was "my" find, and he doesn't have an account here so it never got posted. I guess you could say beginners luck??? :?:

A little some thing here to dwell upon.

There may be some thing here to the ops post.

One thing even I am guilty of,,and probably many others,,,you take out a new to you detector,, a person is probably and for good reason,,listening even more and better vs their ole trusty detector.

Every little kink in the audio gets noticed more.

New Minelab CTX users,,,these same folks coming off of Etrac with months/years experience,,,,tend to dig more iron at first.
Why??? Just what I said above,,,they are overprotective of any and all sound produced,,hence they dig.
Now,,a person running a more typical Vlf,,,the same thing could happen,,,but instead of digging iron,,they actually make some worthier finds.

Remember all the HYPE when the Racer first appeared?
Remember who the hypesters were?
Hope I'm not in the twilight zone!

Remember all the HYPE when the Racer first appeared?
Remember who the hypesters were?
Hope I'm not in the twilight zone!

Probably the most overhyped detector here on this forum is Minelab CTX.

Just my opinion.
Now go read here in places what I have said about it.

I will say this.
If a so called pro has busted a site hard with Etrac using stock and a 6" coil,,and I have to hunt behind them in site later,,,,give me a Deus with either 9 or 11" coil or Impact pro pack package,,,not CTX!!!

Deus plus Etrac,,,helluva team!!!

Last edited:

If you are talking about a single target like say a 6 in dime with nothing else under the coil at the same time as the dime....... i will agree with you that most detectors from $100 to $2500 will all find the dime in a average soil condition.

Now factor in non good soil conditions, types of targets you are looking for, where you are hunting , deep targets, ,,,,, etc. and i have found some machines no matter if you put the coil over the target or not and no matter what coil or mode you select simply will not alert you to the target.

Hence why some detectors are a lot more expensive than others. I have owned almost every detector made and tested them, still own 7 at the moment. I have yet to find one that is best at ever test i put it too,,, when i do i will own two of them, main and a backup both the same machine.

I am mostly an old coin hunter, most of my sites are where several buildings have stood over the years and others built after tearing down what was there before. If i hunt with say an AT PRO in pro zero with iron audio on , every sweep of the coil gives off iron grunts that sounds like a machine gun shooting. I never dig iron, unless it is in the same hole with a good target, i never dig bottle caps either when using my CTX when hunting these spots with the 6 in coil. I am only looking for old coins,,, is my CTX over hyped? Not for what i hunt for and where i am typically hunting old coins... it is King! Never owned a machine that can do better.

But now lets change the site , type of targets we are looking for , soil conditions, how big the area i am hunting is , how much time i have to hunt, etc........ and we now have a different game. If you told me you are going to take me to a pasture where nothing ever happened there but a civil war battle , i promise you i will not show up with my CTX!

There are so many variables when going back to a site you have hunted before,,, Soil moisture at the time of each hunt, how big is the hunted area, coil size used for each machine, concentric or DD, how many angles did you work the area with, both machines properly set up and ground balanced properly, best mode on each for the desired targets, etc.......... information gleaned may or may not give true indication.

But i can say beyond a shadow of a doubt, that not all detectors, if you can put the coil over a target will give an indication that there is something desirable under the coil, under certain circumstances.

So how are detectors to be racked and stacked??

Is CTX better than Etrac??? Yes

How much better??

You see folks read a lot of things about a lot of different detectors.

An example,,,,a person has a site small,,all to themselves.
They can hunt at will,,when they want,,,without the fear of anyone else a hunting,,hunt the site till the cows come home.

Could a person take an Etrac and put a real whooping on it,,,hunting it countless times spending many hours and then stop detecting. And then let their buddy in with a CTX and make some finds.
How many finds would the CTX user make??? Probably few.

Why???

Remember the Etrac runner kept on hunting the site,,hunting from all angles,,many different days and hours.

But what if the person would have only hunted twice using Etrac.

Then the CTX user likely would make more finds when hunted.

The real difference with CTX and Etrac,,,,,and this same difference can be applied when comparing other detectors as well.

TIME efficiency a detector possesses.
How effecient,,and how fast can the detector be run over square footage of ground.
How forgiving is the detector when it comes to detecting targets that are being crippled with nuasiance other targets,,and iron and or nails.

Efficiency rate of IDing a worthy target here plays into the equation,,,,cause digging junk waste time.

Now,,worthy target depths here can enter into equation,,,and if not deeper,,,more detector models start creeping in for comparison.

EMI handling and mitigation can play a part. We as users may never know really just much negatively the emi is affecting our detector's depth.
When a person doesn't find a deeper target,,,is it EMI or the fact you never swept a deeper worthy target.

Knowing how to operate detector,,and make it optimally perform for the site at hand can have its advantages.

Speed,,,time management all in all,,,play a huge part in overall success.

A coil must be moving to find a worthy target.

Even how good and fast a person is at properly retrieving a target in the long run contributes to the big pic of success.

A lot of folks try and measure a detector by looking at it from the perspective of their site(s),,,sites they likely have pounded.

Personally I don't think many sites pounded by very proficient detectorists will give up that many finds,,,,when hunted later,,,especially if the site(s) were hunted with more modern detectors.

Bigger areas,,where folks congregated,,harder to hunt these sites as hard,,too many square inches involved,,and if public area,,,a person likely to have some competition.

Is it possible for a find to be found later after a person had even swept their coil over,,,even a few days before,,,even the same model detector,,,with even the same settings??
I say yes.

But the cause for the person initially missing the target could be a lot of things.
Even their cell phone ringing,,,ground shifting,,,someone actually dug a junk target off the top of earlier. FBS type units don't prefer loose ground, so a person detecting in a public or private place could dig a shallower target,,,and disturb the ground,,,this could take a few weeks,,even a few years for a FBS runner to detect say a deeper coin when swung over.

Also,,beleive it or not,,,some folks even FBS runners,,they dig a coin,,get excited,,fail to check hole,,and low and behold another coin or 2 exists,,,and these coins live to fight another day.

Detectors manufacturers are lucky in a sense.

The multiple variables involved with metal detecting,,,hard at times to place all the blame on the detector for failure.

Too many other things,,,including the operator.

Folks,,should only be worried about satisfying themselves.

Folks can hunt the way they want,,,at the speed they want,,and dig what they want, and use which detector they want or can afford.

Bottom line is a gold coin or a gold ring or a silver coin or a Civil War relic or a pull tab doesn't care what detector finds it.

The find will be just a worthy no matter which detector is used to discover.

I have used some cheaper detectors.

They will find things too.

The might Ace 250 sure has found its fair share around the world and in the USA.

Folks here should also be mindful,,,gold rings if not for them,,,not as many older copper and silver coins would have been found,,,especially in parks,and other public places.

Just imagine if no gold,,who in the world would be digging lower conductive tabs.

And just how much masking does a 2" deep tab cause down under.

Gold ring hunters are really a FBS unit runners friend here. The more of the tabs and rings gotten out of the way,,,,percentages for deeper coin discovery goes up.

Imagine,,,having a Etrac or CTX in 1964,,, hunting old homes and parks, etc.

No aluminum to speak of, no tabs, no clad ,,,,FBS runners would have been able to rock and roll,,,,and dig deep bring home the serious coinage.

I was talking to a gent,,he posts here,,Jack Flynn,,,imagine this.

In 1940, if a person could have detected in say Philadelphia and other big cities,, having free reign to detect,,and owning a mine lab Etrac at the time. Just in face value,,how much loot would you have dug in day???
How much did the common laborer make then???

You would have been living high on the hog as a detectorist no doubt.

Last edited:
When I went back over the same old grounds with the CTX, I was simply amazed at the amount of half eaten/corroded zincs that were left behind when pounding the same site with the Deleon. I had no idea that I was leaving that many behind until I started digging them all.

When I went back over the same old grounds with the CTX, I was simply amazed at the amount of half eaten/corroded zincs that were left behind when pounding the same site with the Deleon. I had no idea that I was leaving that many behind until I started digging them all.

One thing folks will notice using FBS/fbs2 units,,,these detectors have the Inate ability to ID these coins with chips,,lawnmower hits, etc,,with lower ID,,,and this ID,,,the degreeness of the lower ID will often time shed light on the wholeness of the coin. To even extend to the thickness.

FBS/fbs2 runners should note this,,,folks cherry picking using these detectors be mindful here,,,,if you decide to try and pass on say copper pennies as they will read 42 conductive,,worn silver dimes can come in even lower here,,like 40 conductive vs their usual reading of 45.

I concur, while the data collected is not 100% worthless, there are virtually zero constants in this testing method. This type of analysis is even more inaccurate than Air testing and the infamous Nail board test, which I am proud to have succumbed to neither!

I would encourage anyone and everyone to test their detectors in as many ways with nails and tabs in many different scenarios , borrow others detectors if they are close to you or see a local dealer if you are fortunate to have one close by. You will find that there is big differences in capabilities of the different machines.... do the tests for yourself! I spend about as much time testing machines as i do actually hunting with them, which is a complete reversal from what i used to do. I used to buy a machine and head straight to a site i knew must have lots of goodies. After getting discouraged i finally took the advice of people like Andy S. Tom Dankowski and others and started learning and testing my machine in real world scenarios that are like places i hunt. That is when i spent thousands of dollars buying machine after machine and i learned there are huge differences in machines capabilities in different scenarios. I also became a better hunter. Don't take my word for it buy the machines yourself and you will find the truth. Or..... you can read posts from people like Tnss who i can tell by what he is saying he knows what he is talking about and learn without spending the thousands of dollars like he has too. There are others on this site very skilled as well.

If you think that nail board tests and in ground tests with nails and tabs etc... are not giving you any true indication of your detectors abilities ,,, well lets just say you are missing a lot when you detect.... But for some detecting is not as serious as for others and it is just a fun pastime hobby thing to do. For me and some others it is a passion and religion lol.

Trashfinder is a wise man.

I have been thinking of a way,,,a picture of sorts to maybe describe a metal detector,,,as far as comparing them for separation and unmasking.

The one thing that I keep coming back to in my mind,,,and this is purely based on what I've seen testing as well as using different detectors.

If a person takes one of the pointed snow cones and turns it upside down...

You will have basically 2 lines that start at a single point,,and these lines depart from this point and starting running their paths getting farther and farther away from each other.

When comparing detectors for separation and unmasking,,,if we colored the area starting at the top of this upside down snow done,,,,what we would see,,is the better separators would have more shading here going deeper in the snow cone upside down shape.

And there will be a point,,,where all detectors are basically even hear (assuming all detectors detect to same depths) which we know they don't.

Using stock sized coils,,,this shading would look different vs smaller coils used in detectors.

But the mighty Deus would be an outcast here based on coil size.

For depth detection capabilities we could turn the above upside down snow cone shaped ,,,back right side up and use this for shading to show depth comparisons between detectors.

If we superimposed these snow cones shaped figurines over each other,,,,and be able to see the shading in each,,,,this would paint a pretty good picture of what is really going on.

I would encourage anyone and everyone to test their detectors in as many ways with nails and tabs in many different scenarios , borrow others detectors if they are close to you or see a local dealer if you are fortunate to have one close by. You will find that there is big differences in capabilities of the different machines.... do the tests for yourself! I spend about as much time testing machines as i do actually hunting with them, which is a complete reversal from what i used to do. I used to buy a machine and head straight to a site i knew must have lots of goodies. After getting discouraged i finally took the advice of people like Andy S. Tom Dankowski and others and started learning and testing my machine in real world scenarios that are like places i hunt. That is when i spent thousands of dollars buying machine after machine and i learned there are huge differences in machines capabilities in different scenarios. I also became a better hunter. Don't take my word for it buy the machines yourself and you will find the truth. Or..... you can read posts from people like Tnss who i can tell by what he is saying he knows what he is talking about and learn without spending the thousands of dollars like he has too. There are others on this site very skilled as well.

If you think that nail board tests and in ground tests with nails and tabs etc... are not giving you any true indication of your detectors abilities ,,, well lets just say you are missing a lot when you detect.... But for some detecting is not as serious as for others and it is just a fun pastime hobby thing to do. For me and some others it is a passion and religion lol.

Biggest issue I have with the info gathered on the nail board test, is that it is tested through one to two inches of air, not dirt, where the iron sounds like iron and silver sounds like silver. Many of the test I have watched on video, the testor has to turn the sensitivity down (this can be seen on some of the screens) to prevent overloading.

We all know air testing is generally not even close, iron Falses, deep silver is probably a choppy or iffy signal and sensitivity makes your machine react differently. The main thing the nail board proves is separation on clear 1" targets. Now with that being said, burry that board for 5 + years and you have your self a test.

Back
Top Bottom