Thinking about jumping of the at pro train!

marro

**WARNING** this thread contains complaints about the At pro that are not very positive reader discretion is advised.:cool:

Well I've posted on my problems about the atp before so I guess if you are curious to know specifics you can look them up. But in short this is what has happened...

2 years ago I got my atp. It coincided with a lot of changes in my life so I couldn't get out as much to hunt. But when I did use the atp it seemed to false way too much and quite simply didn't seem to perform well.
I went in for the 5x8 coil about 8 months ago. I didn't like the way the epoxy job looked on the coil so I sent it back. I also sent back my atp and told them my concerns. After the replacement of the coil and being told my atp was just fine I stuck with this machine until it finally was so erratic that I KNEW IT WAS NOT WORKING RIGHT.
I am currently waiting to get my detector back...turns out it did in fact need repair and the coil (once already swapped) was out of some kind of tolerance. I'm now getting a twice exchanged coil and my machine back.
The story is even weirder than this but you can pm me if you are curious...

Tempted to sell all my garret stuff and start with a new manufacturer.

What do you guys think?

I think there's a point a person gets to where you just have to cut ties with a company and do something new. Looking like you are at that point and should just try another company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had my AtPro close to 5 yrs .. Only thing that happened to me is I broke the arm cuff and (outa warranty ) Garrett sent me one free of charge ..

The ATP is sensitive, especially maxed out working with the top 1/2 bars. I prefer the falsing sensitivity over non-sensitive, helps me read genuine targets better.

Maybe you just got a dud or something, could be coils/detector or some combination of both. Could be the brand reacts differently than what you have/are used to. Have you tried to play around with another ATP near you, maybe a buddy has one?

They did have some initial problems and you can get a lemon in a long established line also, rare but it happens.
Still, wait to see what it does when it comes back.
I know plenty that use them and love them with no issues.

After two returns if it still bad even I would probably give up but give it one last shot.

I was cursing the day I got my MX5 until the fine posters on this and other forums pointed out the fact the battery pack didn't always make good contact and a send back to the company confirmed this. A good firm shove with the palm of my hand and I was tickled pink. Give it a chance first.

I concur with the above answers, I think you should try it out and if it's still malfunctioning give it up. Jump on the minelab train :cool:

Jump off that train if you are not happy. There are a lot of different brands out there to choose from. Finding a machine that you have confidence in will take you farther than one with buyers remorse attached to it. I don't agree with sticking with it, people love them, you should recover most of your money when selling it and move forward.

I like mine , but I certainly would switch if it didn't like me back ,
GOod Luck , HH

My take is that you cannot get comfortable with the machine because you're not sure if it's right in the first place. If you take doubt,coupled with no confidence,coupled with not finding much...that is going to start sucking VERY quickly, no matter the brand. There are 4.7 butt loads of people out there that love their Garrett. Same with Tesoro, Whites, ML, Fisher...these people like their machines because they are finding things with them. I've never heard someone brag up their machine when it wasn't finding anything. But if you're starting right out of the gate with a machine you don't trust, for whatever reason, you must change IMMEDIATELY. Cut your losses with THAT machine and go with something else. That "something else" can even be another AT Pro, just not the one you have. In the end, it's supposed to be an enjoyable hobby, and for that to happen, the equipment must be in perfect working order so that YOU as a user can become accustomed to how that machine acts, how it conveys information, etc. If it's all sketchy from the start, you can't really build your skills, as you're not sure what to build them on(if that makes any sense).
Good luck with whatever you decide to do, many good options to choose from, depending on your budget and time you're willing to put toward learning a new machine. If you wanted to try a Minelab, I would suggest maybe a Safari, it seems those who have them are very happy with them. They are very capable of doing most everything their bigger brothers do with a couple less controls and can use all of the aftermarket coils the Explorers and eTrac uses, in case you want to add one of those later...but not the CTX, that is FBS2 and the coils won't interchange.

My take is that you cannot get comfortable with the machine because you're not sure if it's right in the first place. If you take doubt,coupled with no confidence,coupled with not finding much...that is going to start sucking VERY quickly, no matter the brand. There are 4.7 butt loads of people out there that love their Garrett. Same with Tesoro, Whites, ML, Fisher...these people like their machines because they are finding things with them. I've never heard someone brag up their machine when it wasn't finding anything. But if you're

starting right out of the gate with a machine you don't trust, for whatever reason, you must change IMMEDIATELY. Cut your losses with THAT machine and

go with something else. That "something else" can even be another AT Pro, just not the one you have. In the end, it's supposed to be an enjoyable hobby, and for that to happen, the equipment must be in perfect working order so that YOU as a user can become accustomed to how that machine acts, how it conveys information, etc. If it's all sketchy from the start, you can't really build your skills, as you're not sure what to build them on(if that makes any sense).
Good luck with whatever you decide to do, many good options to choose from, depending on your budget and time you're willing to put toward learning a new machine. If you wanted to try a Minelab, I would suggest maybe a Safari, it seems those who have them are very happy with them. They are very capable of doing most everything their bigger brothers do with a couple less controls and can use all of the aftermarket coils the Explorers and eTrac uses, in case you want to add one of those later...but not the CTX, that is FBS2 and the coils won't interchange.
Thanks for the insight! It's funny because I was actually considering just selling this at and purchasing another one. The logic being that I have already tried everything with this one and I already know what to look for. I want to love this machine like everyone (most) does. Garrett was nice to work with... just wish I never needed to.

My take is that you cannot get comfortable with the machine because you're not sure if it's right in the first place. If you take doubt,coupled with no confidence,coupled with not finding much...that is going to start sucking VERY quickly, no matter the brand. There are 4.7 butt loads of people out there that love their Garrett. Same with Tesoro, Whites, ML, Fisher...these people like their machines because they are finding things with them. I've never heard someone brag up their machine when it wasn't finding anything. But if you're starting right out of the gate with a machine you don't trust, for whatever reason, you must change IMMEDIATELY. Cut your losses with THAT machine and go with something else. That "something else" can even be another AT Pro, just not the one you have. In the end, it's supposed to be an enjoyable hobby, and for that to happen, the equipment must be in perfect working order so that YOU as a user can become accustomed to how that machine acts, how it conveys information, etc. If it's all sketchy from the start, you can't really build your skills, as you're not sure what to build them on(if that makes any sense).

There are so many good machines out there. He is likely to end up having many.... many.... many multiple machines like Earl or Choppa. It's contagious !:surrender:

Get a used explorer. Stick with it and learn it and you won't be disappointed. You'll find more deep old coins than ever. I promise.

Get a used explorer. Stick with it and learn it and you won't be disappointed. You'll find more deep old coins than ever. I promise.

Hey Mike,have you seen Capt Dan around lately? I enjoyed his posts a lot on Finds but haven't seen any recently...how about the the Cladhunter? Hope all is well in the west...

Hey Mike,have you seen Capt Dan around lately?

I haven't hunted with Dan in over four years since I moved to Texas. But last I heard he was having some family issues and taking a little time off from detecting.

Last edited:
A few years ago you could not give me a AT Pro.

I got bashed by a AT Pro group and it just turned me off completely to folks who used the AT Pro.

By chance I finally ended up using one on a very difficult hunt. That experience stuck with me and I finally bought one. After a year of use I consider my self proficient with it.

You have a great detector there and it just may not be your cup of tea.

I got bashed by a AT Pro group and it just turned me off completely to folks who used the AT Pro.

By chance I finally ended up using one on a very difficult hunt. That experience stuck with me and I finally bought one. After a year of use I consider my self proficient with it.

You have a great detector there and it just may not be your cup of tea.
Actually this perticular detector is not a great detector. It had a defect that took me a while to figure out it had. Not to mention it taking garret two tries at fixing it. Like Isaid before I am tempted to sell it, recoup some money and buy a new AT. ... it's funny. I almost feel that other AT owners refuse to believe there was at least a few lemons in the mix. [emoji1] . Blame the victim!!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom