Anybody use protective pinpointer covers

MattLock

Elite Member
I would like to get one but no one sells them. It always some no name website or some guys who makes it on eBay. Do any big dector dealers sell them ?

Just use colored electrical tape.
As long as its not black, it will not leave ANY residue.
For $4 or $5 a roll, it should last for 2-3 years.
you just peel it off once a month and re-wrap it:yes:

Why not black too hard to see ?

I've used black electric tape without issue on my carrot but got tired of reapplying so going naked.

I use a thin plastic chair stopper on the bottom, then wrap with electrical tape. Works great for me. My carrot tip looks like brand new.

BCD

I coated the tip of my Propointer in truck bed liner several years ago. It has held up well. I put orange tape around it so it is easy to find if I forget it at a hole after filling it in. I think I covered the speaker but I can't hear it anyway. I go by vibration.
Pro.jpg

Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Tip Protectors

Here are my two modifications. Really, all you need to do is find something that is somewhat pliable, that will fit onto the tip of your pointer snugly, add a few dabs of silicon sealant on the tip of the pointer, and press the cap/cover into place. Simple......

NOTE: On the Garrett, you will probably need to take a file and/or razor knife, and remove some of the scraper edge, just depending on the length of the cover. It's not as difficult as you may think, just be careful.

IMG_7491.jpg IMG_7492.jpg

As for the Whites TRX .... here is a post I made a while back on that.....

Just got my new White's "TRX" pin pointer. Nothing wrong with the old faithful Garrett Pro-Pointer, but I just wanted to try something new, and this would give me a back-up, just in case one of them ever fails. So, being new and unscathed, I felt this would be the perfect time to do something about protecting the tip, on the new pointer.

First, I went to Lowes, where I found some rubber chair leg tips, that actually fit the TRX perfectly. If you'd like to give these a try, get the ones specified for a 3/4" chair leg. They come in a package of four (4), cost less than $2, and the length (or height) of each tip is approximately 1 1/4", which makes for a perfect tip protector, on the TRX. To install, place a nice dab of silicone on the very tip of the TRX, then slide on one of the chair leg tips. You may want to hold the TRX with both hands and push straight down against the floor, to make sure you get the tip all the way on (wipe off any excess silicone with a damp rag). Once in place, it's not going anywhere, and it may be just fine, without any silicone at all (?).
:yes:

Optional - At my store, these chair leg tips only come in black, but with a little time on my hands, and a partial can of yellow spray paint, I improvised. I taped mine, and spray painted after installing, but would probably paint them prior to installation, if I were to do it again. Of course, there's nothing wrong with black, so colors are completely optional. :yes:

image1 (640x480).jpg image3 (640x480).jpg

You guys should really invest in a digging tool LOL.

I have never EVER had problems with any of my pointers. Of course I don't use them to dig with either.

Easy fix - buy a Pointer that comes with its own protective covers

X-Pointer
Nokta
Makro
etc

You seem to get better value for the money without sacrificing performance

Just sayin

I would like to get one but no one sells them. It always some no name website or some guys who makes it on eBay. Do any big dector dealers sell them ?

I just designed one for the Garrett and will start printing them out on a 3D printer. I even tweaked a variation that adds a prying piece on the end to stab and dig around with, as I'm notorious for using my pointer to stab and dig. As soon as I get it finalized will kick out a bunch to beta test.

I just designed one for the Garrett and will start printing them out on a 3D printer. I even tweaked a variation that adds a prying piece on the end to stab and dig around with, as I'm notorious for using my pointer to stab and dig. As soon as I get it finalized will kick out a bunch to beta test.

Sounds cool !! Have you printed any yet ? Are there variations for the original pointer and pinpointer II and AT pinpointer ?

Sounds cool !! Have you printed any yet ? Are there variations for the original pointer and pinpointer II and AT pinpointer ?

The first one is printing right now, had a 6 hour print time so set it and ran out to catch up on errands. I'm not sure how it is sized, as I used my kids Xbox One sensor to 3D scan the AT pinpointer and build it around that, but if it is sized different it would just be a few minor adjustments in CAD if someone with a pinpointer II had a digital caliper and could send measurements.

The first one is printing right now, had a 6 hour print time so set it and ran out to catch up on errands. I'm not sure how it is sized, as I used my kids Xbox One sensor to 3D scan the AT pinpointer and build it around that, but if it is sized different it would just be a few minor adjustments in CAD if someone with a pinpointer II had a digital caliper and could send measurements.

If these are poplar a 6 hr production time is going to be annoying. Is the one printing now for the original pinpointer ?

Back
Top Bottom