Does anyone here use a CTX for fresh water hunting?

beachdude

Elite Member
I expect to do a fair amount of lake hunting this summer in a very trashy area. I have an Excal II with a 10" coil for the deeper water where it is less trashy, and a also an Etrac with a 6" coil, which I have used to hunt the extreme trashy areas in shallow water close to the shore.

Would there be any performance advantages to getting a CTX 3030 with a small coil to hunt this kind of area? I am kind of afraid of dropping my Etrac in the shallows so I realize the waterproofiness of the CTX is an advantage - but aside from that, what about performance in fresh water compared to the Excal and Etrac? The CTXs are still far too expensive for me, and I don't need a lot of the CTX's bells and whistles (like GPS), but I would consider buying one if there is a significant performance advantage over what I am already using.

I just need something that I can pick through fresh water trash with to find potential treasure in it. Or should I just stick with what I am doing?

Great question beachdude , I too would be interested in this as well. Man that machine does it all gets pretty deep too , was just watching a video last night on it.

Just bought one myself. Have only been on a few short hunts with it. So I can't tell you much. Did a lot of research before I purchased and talked to a lot of CTX owners. If a new etrac is $1500, you can get a new CTX from a forum sponsor for an incredible price, Then it's worth it. Don't want to eventually fry your etrac in the water. Yes there are small differences that will make a difference in the long run. The CTX has a little bit better target separation in trashy areas. On soil tests I get about 20% better depth here in my highly mineralized soil. If you buy an etrac you will eventually go buy an Excalibar, and if you buy the Excalibur you will eventually go buy an etrac. So why not just get the CTX and get it over with, While saving about 1000 bucks.
Marcus118 from Hollands brook really took care of me! I couldn't believe the deal he gave me. He is a forum sponsor and you should have no problem finding him

Back
Top Bottom