is this civil war or indian war?

hornet2729

i found this today without the back on it is hollow but it looks the same as this image here ive heard it was civil war an post civil war which is it

us button.jpg

At Least Civil War

The button is at least a civil war period button. I can't tell by your picture but is the button even dug? If so, it sure is slick.

Keep in mind that this style button was still in circulation during the Indian War period. However, the US Government started using a new pattern eagle button which had a slightly raised horizontal wing pattern; these button are often referred to as the "flying chicken."

Even at the Battle of Little Big Horn, numerous Confederate buttons are still being dug....and of course US as well.

Hope it helps a tad.

John

I think he implied that the pic shown is just like his button, however they can come out of the ground with the gold intact. I found this cuff button last summer.

Attachments

• 002c.jpg
    002c.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 719
yea that is not the one i dug. mine is not as clean as that one like i said mine was missing the back its like a hollow cap lol..but only camara i have is my cell phone an i cant get a clear pic and the pic i posted looks just like mine the wings are up towards the top not like u were sayin the flyin chicken.

button

Your button is a civil war officers button. Only officers had gold buttons. It looks like it is in nice shape. Good find.:) The other picture posted is a indian war button. You can tell the eagles are different.

Digger70PA, Let's Get Back in the Huddle on This One

Depending on the military contractor, some of the standard Enlisted eagle buttons were gold guilted. Many of the Eagle I's, A', C's, D's R's are the Enlisted style 2-piece buttons and were also gold guilted. Back in the day, we dug a fair number of gold guilted Enlisted Eagle buttons in CW camps here in Virginia. Eagle two-piece buttons, gold guilted or not, were generally for Enlisted personnel.

The three-piece button, known as the Officer Staff button were used by the Officers. Every one I ever dug or have seen was gold guilted.

I recon when times were tight, they wore anything that would hold the jacket closed.

BTW, the Museum of the Confederacy in Richmond, Virginia is in possession of numerous documented Confederate Frocks, Vests and Shell Jackets that had common enlisted eagle buttons on them. Some the jackets were enlisted and some were officers.

I think we all agree, no matter who wore them, we love to dig em.'

Back
Top Bottom