Newbie to the hobby and finding supplies / tips

Alaska2022

Myself and my daughter have been getting into metal detecting and am wondering if there are local options to finding supplies.
We were looking for a sand shovel, pointer etc to add to our 'treasure hints' but haven not really found any local options/stores.

We have been out to local parks and metro beach so far.
Few coins and chunks of metal so far.

Thanks for any tips advice etc.

Generally, you gotta do your shopping online if you want quality tools. The exception being that you happen to have a dealer nearby, if you're lucky.

I know Bass Pro Shops carry a few metal detectors, so they may have other supplies as well. I'd imagine the same can be said for Cabella's as well.

You could give Craigslist a try as well.

But for the time being, you certainly could find your basic tools (pouch, gloves, digger) at a Lowe's or Home Depot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Generally, you gotta do your shopping online if you want quality tools. The exception being that you happen to have a dealer nearby, if you're lucky.

I know Bass Pro Shops carry a few metal detectors, so they may have other supplies as well. I'd imagine the same can be said for Cabella's as well.

You could give Craigslist a try as well.

But for the time being, you certainly could find your basic tools (pouch, gloves, digger) at a Lowe's or Home Depot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm pretty new here myself...but that said I've found that when you get into special hobbies like F-Class Rifle shooting or Metal Detecting your local (unless as quoted above) hobby store won't have the best stuff.

It's also been my experience that Cabelas and Bass Pros have the best price on...well...nothing (experience as an avid shooter). I think you'd find the best prices and stuff from one of the sponsers on here...and the good news is shipping will probably be free and you will have your stuff in days.

I just bought an AT-Pro from Big Boy's (not the only I have bought from but the most recent). Had my detector in about 3 days, about the time needed to watch the instructional videos on Youtube.

Just another .02 from a relative Newb...don't ask me for technical advice but shopping advice I am confident your right way to go is likely online. Maybe one thing to try otherwise is google metal detectors for sale and your city...there may be a 'real' shop close enough to drive to...wish there was for me and I live in a city of over 250,000.

Welcome! Contacting forum sponsors usually gets you better deals than Amazon. They are a big reason the forums exist. Expert advice and guidance is a plus, too. And don't forget your local dealers. There is also the classified sections on the forum, and the wealth of knowledge of the members here!
:detector:

Myself and my daughter have been getting into metal detecting and am wondering if there are local options to finding supplies.
We were looking for a sand shovel, pointer etc to add to our 'treasure hints' but haven not really found any local options/stores.

We have been out to local parks and metro beach so far.
Few coins and chunks of metal so far.

Thanks for any tips advice etc.

welcome to the hobby/addiction

My advice from my experience was that I wanted all the supplies at once when I first started. I purchased a lot of cheap supplies but I end up paying the price at the end when a lot of my things broke ....

Save the dollar and pay for high quality things when it comes to scoops//pinpointers etc

starting out you definitely will need a good metal detector and pinpointer. Some people will say that you dont need one but its almost a necessity for most people.

good luck

Its nice to look at stuff in person, but the best prices are online, check out the sponsors here.

Welcome to the forum from Western NY

:welcome2:

Back
Top Bottom