Ctx 3030

dumbdigger

Elite Member
One of my observations is the 3030 is a little more sensitive than the etrac.
It seems I can get the same depth at a lower setting on the 3030 compared to the etrac.

Where I would run the etrac at 22-24 manual sensitivity is like running 18-20 on the 3030.

IMO lower sensitivity = more stable machine, but getting the same depth is better.

Went on a hunt Friday and pulled 2 silver Rosie's. Actually small coin spill. they were about an half inch apart and about 2 inches deep.

Still getting use to the 3030. Trying to get use to the digital sound. IMO it does sound different than the etrac. HH DD

One of my observations is the 3030 is a little more sensitive than the etrac.
It seems I can get the same depth at a lower setting on the 3030 compared to the etrac.

Where I would run the etrac at 22-24 manual sensitivity is like running 18-20 on the 3030.

IMO lower sensitivity = more stable machine, but getting the same depth is better.

Went on a hunt Friday and pulled 2 silver Rosie's. Actually small coin spill. they were about an half inch apart and about 2 inches deep.

Still getting use to the 3030. Trying to get use to the digital sound. IMO it does sound different than the etrac. HH DD

Why they got away from the flutey audio,,,I'll never know.
That specific audio is a large part why FBS became so popular.

I was using CTX today,,,I can I think cover my screen up,,and dig as well vs screen uncovered. But I am used to unit. I don't normally use a lot,,,but have been moreso lately for some comparing if need be.

Another thing I don't understand,,,is why didn't Minelab offers a 0 freq option for tones using combined mode.

A person wouldn't have to listen to all the iron buzzing if it were offered.

Could this have been done with update,,and downloaded via USB port???
Strange really no real updates to the programs folks use to coin hunt mainly.

I was running in combined the other day and dug up nail after nail.....
Running this was with the 11" standard coil, and cant tell the difference on a coin or one of the ends of a nail. You know how you get a high tone on the end of a nail. Grr

Im hoping with the 6 inch coil it will make it easier.
Is it a good idea to run the 6 inch coil in combined mode?
Will it help me learn combined quicker?

Yes,,,running 6" coil will help.

Also,,you can put a small block of disc in right lower corner,,just a tad,,this will,help you some,,,and not hurt performance very much.

You can usually run 6" coil a little hotter sens wise and can get away with it vs stock coil.

Depth wise,,,you may have seen the Sears button I posted,,found it with CTX,,sens at manual 24,, combined mode,,,7" deep,,6" coil.
It was very close to max depth detectable,,detector was starting to thunk a bit,,ID was 12-38 on button,,,had a ferrous back,,,tone was dismal,,but repeatable,,with good I'd,,with a horrible trace,,,only reason I dug,,,is Imlifted my coil and signal went away,,,pinpointing show a target about the size of 12" pizza lol,,,too many nails and other junk around it I guess.

Auto sens will work with 6" coil,,,but can be depth limited moreso.

6" coil on CTX is nothing to sneeze at performance wise,,,better on mid and higher conductors though IMO.

Sometimes when a person starts running a new detector,,they are afraid they will miss a find,,,hence they try and read into iron falsing as good target.

Determining iron falses using combined mode,,,does signal repeat with keeping sweep speed controlled and same or similar.

Too fast a sweep speed can cause iron false too,,where as if you slow down sweep iron may tone in low tone using combined mode.

What does the screen look like,,,any blue down in the bottom right?? This CAN be a good indication to trust,,NOT always though.

What kind of tone are you getting around high tone,,any low tones rolling in,,,especially on both sides of high tone false-- good indicator usually of false.

False can read usually 38 and higher conductive on screen sometimes.

Pinpointing can help,,but can lure you to walk,,hence you leave a find in the ground. Seen this in person,,video here was posted. One thing a person can do,,is pinpoint a nail actually,,and they swing over it,,,and see the detector giving detection off of this nail (a few inches like a couple or 3),,,they instantly start thinking nail hit,,and walk,,,leaving a find in the ground.

Practice,,,and digging a few nails,,,folks will start to see things,,they can use to rule on falsing or not.

Watch this video,,,there is a lesson to be learned with CTX.
Where I find the Jack,,,remember the jacks we played with as kids.
I never saw a rusty one when I was a kid,,so nonferrous.
Watch this gent pinpoint,,,and listen to what he says.

I think,,this particular scenario,,he never did get the Jack while undisturbed (signal wise),,instead got a false off of one of the nails,,,hence he based his pinpoint off of this,,,and likely would have walked.

I would like to go back to this site btw,,,this video,,it was windier as all get out,,,even wearing headphones some ambient noise protruding.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=UldjNYs_3Vw

Last edited:
Now,,some here after watching video,,may be thinking the CTX should see everything the Deus can while wearing 9" coil nonferrous wise. (Not depth related shallower)
Wrong

I will even go out on a limb here,,,this new coming Impact detector,,I don't think it would have saw the Jack wearing smallest coil,,,midsized coil maybe,,,stock coil maybe.

And yes,,,there are some things the CTX wearing 6" coil will see Deus can't nonferrous wise.

Smaller coil ain't always better,,and bigger coil ain't always better.

Great video Tn, I have some playing around to do!
DD

Now,,,I can't prove this,,,but what I didn't see in person,,and it sure wasn't on the video,,,,I strongly suspect the gent upped his sensitivity while sweeping the target area.
And higher sens= the nail false.
If you'll notice he had to sweep around a long time,,,no signal present,,,then all of a sudden the detector started ringing in. Going hotter on sens in manual,,,or transitioning from auto sens to manual could have done.

You'll notice the piece of grass I located,,,again CTX no signal,,then all of a sudden it started signaling.

Low conductor like that auto sens a lot of times won't hit or will be dodgy,,,change to manual sens even if 22 or so,,detector will see.
I think this is what happens here.

Sensitivity and hunting in trash infested grounds is like head lights function while driving in the fog. High beams doesn't work all that well , but low beams allows you to see the objects in your path through the fog.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom