Civil War relics question

pvtcook

Guys Im new to detecting and have a question. Im hunting in a area that was fought over during the war. I have hunted for about four days. I am finding alot of round musket balls and buckshot. Yesterday I found 5 musket rounds 34 buckshot 9 percussion caps and a lead dice in about a 5' area. My question is why Im not finding anything but lead? Im running my 1st disc on iron. It picked up those small caps I was wondering why I havent found any brass or anything else? Im excited about the bullets but Im ready to find some other relics. Are hte buttons about corroded away after this length of time?
Thanks

Not at all there is alot of nice buttons being dug .I've dug them with dents ,badley worn , and even some with gold gilt still on them , they are out there . What type of machine are you useing ?

As Bob said - the buttons hold up pretty well. However, mine from here in Az (no rain) and yours in Miss(lotsa rain) could be different. It's surprising you haven't dug other tsan lead tho. Keep at it - maybe expand your area and see. I believe percussion caps are made of brass. steve in so az

I'd say you haven't put your coil over the top of anything yet. Brass hits hard. If you get over it, you'll hear it. Good stuff you've found so far... keep at it. Good luck.

Bob I'm using a Tesoro Tejon right now. I bought a Whites MXT also. It came in Friday but I haven't used it yet. I'm going to give it a try and decide which one I want to keep. I'm liking the Tejon pretty good but I think I will like the display too.
I hope I find something pretty soon I'm excited about my spot that I'm hunting. It's the end of a hardwood ridge overlooking a pasture. It was manned by confederates during the battle of Corinth. I was told that was the reason for the round shot versus conical rounds. I'm not sure that's true but I hope it's a confederate position! I'm planning on hunting it hard.

To give you an idea what some look like out of the ground heres a few I found a couple months ago... They hit anywhere from a nickle & up..

at1-2-1.jpg

Man those are awesome. That's what I'm looking for!! Now I have to decide if I'm gonna stick w the stock 950 coil or use a 10" DD!!

Back
Top Bottom