zinc pennies are they worth it ?

ded

I'm just getting started but one thing is for sure zinc pennies don't hold up in my dirt. Almost all of them are so corroded some even with holes in them, what do you do with them?
Does anyone just skip / notch them ? or would I likely miss something good ?

Zinc pennies are, unfortunately, biodegradable. Any local branch of a Federal Bank will
take them, if you want to bother.

Notching them can cost you dimes and some silver jewelry.

I dump my really bad ones into the Salvation Army kettles during the holidays. Someone said they turn all bad coins into the Federal Reserve and get a check cut. I also toss in a buck or two to help pay for the postage :lol:

I'll have to keep digging, I need to practice that popping thing anyway haven't figured it out yet.

I throw my bad pennies into the self-checkout machine at Wally World(walmart)

I get a real sense of satisfaction paying for a $10 item every couple weeks with only a $5 bill plus the clad & zinc I find in the ground.

My rule is: if they have any "bites" missing from around the edge, they go in the trash, otherwise, I'll clean up and spend. Around here it only takes a couple years in the dirt before they're eaten up.

I don't care how bad they are, I tumble all my zincs, roll 'em, and deposit 'em in my bank account. A penny is still a penny. Plus, like someone else stated, if you discriminate out the zincs, you'll also lose out on some other things that you really would like to find.

Harley-Dog

Any that the Coinstar rejects three times go in the trash. 7400 memmies last year, I doubt I threw away more than a dozen. By the way, I just rinse dirt of them before I take them in. I have more problems with bent coins being rejected that corroded ones.

Thanks guys, its good to see mine are the only ones in bad shape, and like you say they are a little to close to good stuff to pass up, just in case.

trobaughokc said:
Any that the Coinstar rejects three times go in the trash. 7400 memmies last year, I doubt I threw away more than a dozen. By the way, I just rinse dirt of them before I take them in. I have more problems with bent coins being rejected that corroded ones.

Wow, 7400 Memmies?!, then add in Wheats, nickles, dimes, quarters, and you have over 10,00 deep knee bends plus a couple hundred miles walked.

Pretty healthy hobby.

I agree with Harley-Dog. A penny is a penny. 100 pennies is a dollar. 200 pennies is enough to buy new batteries for my metal detector.
HH, Wes.

Back
Top Bottom