Tumbling - before and after photo

OZ_IL

Forum Supporter
Not the best - I should have changed the water after a few hours as when I was done tumbling (4 hours) as the water was really nasty looking and the coins had a slight tinge to them. Tumbled 5 Q's, 12 D's , 3 N's and about 4 cents. All were pretty well an orange color from the being in the clay.

Close up of 3 of them, accidently have the dime flipped flopped in the photos.

Attachments

• coins_before.jpg
    coins_before.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 429
  • coins_after.jpg
    coins_after.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 422
They've certaily come up nice, although it should be remembered that you shouldn't tumble or over clean anything which may have any value.

When I tumbled some heavy old brass articles, I used what they call "shapes", which are just small copper nails, plus burnishing soap, which comes in the form of a white powder.

For lighter items perhaps some sand ?, but check the condition frequently. It's not something I've experimented with very much.

Scavenger said:
Interesting, Can you tell us what you put in the tumbler?
That would be nice, wouldn't it :lol: The standard white aquarium gravel, a touch of Palmolive and water, that's it. As Alan noted, never tumble anything of value. Alas, that's something that I never had to worry about :P

OZ

The water is not the issue... Don't tumble pennies with your other coins.. that is why you have orange coins. I either throw out the pennies if they are too far gone or tumble them alone.

Cfmct-PI said:
OZ

The water is not the issue... Don't tumble pennies with your other coins.. that is why you have orange coins. I either throw out the pennies if they are too far gone or tumble them alone.
Those coins were really a nasty brown/orange color before they went in and they didn't quite clean completely. I tumble cents and clad all the time and usually there is no coloring of the clad. Once in a while I get this funky brown coating but I think it actually makes the clad look nicer :lol:

Back
Top Bottom