Questionable Lost Treasure Articles

WThesing

Elite Member
I have been a subscriber to Lost Treasure Magazine for about seven months now.

The current issue did a few articles dealing with the state of Delaware. The lead story was about the wreck of the Debraak in Delaware Bay. The ending of the article leads the reader to believe that the wreckage is still undiscovered. The truth is that the wreckage has been undergoing archaeological salvage since 1981 or 82. Many millions in gold, coins, jewelry, and other artifacts have been recovered, and are still being recovered to this day. Everything recovered is and has been cataloged and under the state's watchfull eye. I have first hand knowledge of this, as well as video documentation of some of the recovery.

My problem is that this is at least the 3rd or 4th time since becoming a subscriber that my local knowledge as well as documented facts are totally different as to what Lost Treasure has put into print. It seems that unlike many of us, they do not research very well, and are maybe more interested in filling up pages with "fluff" that has no substance. I wonder just how many of their articles follow the same pattern. I am at this point questioning whether to renew the subscrition or give E / W Treasures a try. Do any of you have similar experience?

I don't think they proof-read either, Bill... not to mention the "writers" they pick to include in their articles. Some are VERY boring, too.
There was one story that I wasn't impressed with much, about a detectorist that was asked to assist a couple in finding a wedding ring in a small cave up a hilly, rocky area, and through the whole story, the detectorist himself (the one that submitted the story) was complaining the whole time he was "helping" these poor people. Finally, (he said in the story) that he let the guy use his detector and the guy went again the next day and found it by himself. Some hero, eh?
I've also seen a few repeated stories, too. Not good for business, I would think.

I know that there isn't much effort in proofreading or even spellchecking for that matter. The spelling and misuse of grammer is really bad for a magazine.

Personally I am not a fan of LT Magazine. I find W&E Treasures much more interesting and enjoyable. I agree with the remark about proofreading.

this forum in itself is better than LT magazine. It is a very poor product nowadays. Years ago, it wasnt so bad, but western and eastern is by far the best...........as an addendum, hunted 2 hours today,,,,,,,,,nothing of note,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but got a 1960 washington and a 41 jefferson at work tonight.............go figure................doodle

I can't stand LT magazine and to me its a waste of money... I prefer W&E... Saying that they both need to research before posting certain things such as ghost towns... W&E posted 2 ghost towns in Conn. here for metal detecting and I know for a fact if anyone is caught on these 2 properties they will be arrested and their car/truck and detectors taken away.

Personally dull doesn't sell.. so post a little extra even if the readers aren't allowed to go these places... its all about selling your product but at what costs?

Its like detectors... every brand is like the second coming and I rarely listen to reviews from dealers.. I want to hear it from the users period.

I am somewhat newly subscribed to LT. Dissapointed in it actually. Seems pretty poor to me.

Im interested in the W & E though. Is that the best out there?

I hear that W & E is generally accepted as the better. I subscribed to LT with the card that came with my detector. This was before I had seen any posts on the subject. I will not renew. I think I'll mosey on over to W&E on the net and do a subscription.

I  think that  LT  uses  stories as written by detectorists, rather  then professional  writers. The  bad grammar is not  sniffed out by  most of  the readers.  Not  proofing it to  that  higher standard for  publication gives it a bit more realism. If perfect grammar  and spelling is  your  thing, pick up National Geographic where  the stories are written by folks not unlike ourselves, only with a different  hobby, and then rewritten by professionals, proofed, spellchecked, given  final approval  by editors  and then published.

The one thing thats bothersome about LT is  the stories seem to be shortened and pictures cropped  to allow space  for more ads.  Advertisement takes precedent over  content.  That's business.  It will be  that way until  readership drops

All in all,  I read it every month  and  do get entertainment  from it. I once  took  the ratio of  ads  to content....ads  won hands  down.

Joanne  and I subscribe to a  magzine called "Reminice".  It is all content, great reading  and has 0  advertisements.  Don't know  how  they do it  but  the thing is on the magazine rack  for about  the same price as LT.

My first "LT" subscription came as a gift. Now it has been renewed by me  and  until it becomes  the equal of  the N.Y. Times  in wasted pages  I will keep getting it..............Gil

I'm not a subscriber but have read their detector reviews...in my opinion they often over rate detectors that should be described as mediocre, at best...more like they're working for the manufacturers than the magazine . Roadrunner_426

roadrunner_426 said:
I'm not a subscriber but have read their detector reviews...in my opinion they often over rate detectors that should be described as mediocre, at best...more like they're working for the manufacturers than the magazine . Roadrunner_426

Surely not, would any magazine ever do that ? :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll:

Back
Top Bottom