What to charge?

Chipk

Elite Member
My main interest in detecting is historical. I prefer bringing bits and pieces of our history to the service. But I do offer a free recovery service for people who need help. I've never charged.

Got a message yesterday. A man who I helped last year said his father owns some property where a Confederate camp is believed to have been. He says there are a couple of trenches and his father wants it searched.

BUT, he wants to pay me instead of sharing the finds. I know nothing of the condition of the property. It might be heavily overgrown and full of roots. This could be very labor intensive. There may be lots of finds or nothing. Do I charge by the hour or the find? How much?

I have no idea what his plans for the finds might be either. If he plans on selling them, I want a fair exchange for my time, efforts, equipment and experience.

I've about decided to pass altogether but I've never had an opportunity like this and I'd like to try it.

Thoughts? Advice?

$20 an hour, at a MINIMUM...
Basically, if you look at the cost of RENTING equipment for a day, they couldn't do any better, especially since their rentals would be mediocre, and they wouldn't know how to use it. They're renting your equipment, your training, and your time. $20 is on the light end.That's the only way I'd do it. You could end up pulling thousands of dollars of stuff, or nothing, but either way, 5 hours for $100 is worth your time.

Anything less, and you'll regret it. More would be ok, too, especially if you're handing over Belt Buckles and 3 ringers...

That's my 2-cents...

I agree with Skippy - you'll be bringing all of the equipment, expertise, and manual labor to the table. It doesn't matter if he's planning to sell any of the potential finds or keep them under his pillow, there's serious value to your time and effort that needs to be compensated since you aren't getting a share of the finds.

Depending on how much potential the site has and what you ultimately decide to charge, it might also be worth getting the agreement in writing prior to starting the hunt just so everyone's interests are protected.

Do you work a regular job? I always figured any side jobs I do should pay double my hourly wage. $20 an hour would be a bare minimum.
I'm making about $1.86 an hour detecting now. I guess it depends on whether or not you can get any enjoyment from pictures of the finds. If you can't have fun it's just a job.

I would say the price is 50% of the finds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A question I'd have to answer for myself if this was something I had been offered...

What do you really gain from it aside from the experience and some money, and is that enough to make this worthwhile to you? It's going to be a lot of work, and without a spark of interest and fun, it may turn into dull drudgery.

On the other hand, it might be awesome. Just depends on your perspective I think.

That's a tuff one. First, I'd explain your dilemma to the owner. Explain that you do what you do because you enjoy saving the history. You might consider offering him an hourly rate and you get to pick say 20% of each days finds ie you find 40 items you pick your favorite 8 items.
Do explain to him the amount of equipment and work that goes into this endeavor. What your detector costs etc. If he's "iffy" on the idea, just say, "let's try it for a limited number of hours". Agree on your rate, $20 an hour sounds about right and then agree on the first days number of hours. If the first run at it results in limited finds, renegotiate. Say, $15 dollars per hour but your percentage of finds goes up to 40%. That way, he's getting the brunt of the goodies, not paying a fortune and you have the opportunity to get enough finds to make it worth your trouble. Just a thought.

Sound like that owner has a false impression that you will find lots of things or lots of things of value.

How about you search for free for your love of history and hobby and if anything good is found then discuss. Money up front makes it a job and customer expectations. That would ruin the hobby and fun for me.

I agree with Skippy - you'll be bringing all of the equipment, expertise, and manual labor to the table. It doesn't matter if he's planning to sell any of the potential finds or keep them under his pillow, there's serious value to your time and effort that needs to be compensated since you aren't getting a share of the finds.

Depending on how much potential the site has and what you ultimately decide to charge, it might also be worth getting the agreement in writing prior to starting the hunt just so everyone's interests are protected.

You may not find anything and then he might not want to pay you.

That's a good reason for what AirmetTango posted, even then that is not a guarantee of getting paid, but at least they can't say there was a misunderstanding of what they meant if it is in writing.

(of course it depends on how well you know the people if having it in writing is necessary or not)

I would have a sit down conversation with him and lay everything out. Ask him what his expectations are, what his plan for the finds are, and frankly what he thinks is there & why he believes that. From there you can decide how you want to negotiate.

Me, personally, this is what I would propose:

-A Flat fee of $100 per 5 hours. My time is valuable & while this is a hobby, I also have a specific skill set and the tools to do it that a is looking for.

-a 25% pick of the finds working like this. Every find is laid out on a table, the property owner picks 3 items, I pick 1, he picks 3, I pick 1, until all items are divveyed out or he decides there aren't any others he wants to keep.

-You could also add an asterisk to the above item stating things like belt plates or buckles the first goes to him, the 2nd goes to you, and the rest go in to pool of 3 to 1 picked items.

*make sure you have a signed, written & notarized agreement not only to protect your interests but to protect his also.

Good luck and please keep us updated

If you find anything valuable that he wants to keep, then he should pay you half of that value in cash.

I've never heard of being paid to detect - not here anyway. A 50/50 split is a fair way of doing business and no one is disappointed if payment is withheld on completion.

Barter

I agree with some of these ideas, especially the sit down and talk with the guy idea. Consider the barter system. He wants all the relics. What does he have, that you want? My example is one time I was asked to detect in the snow, for a lost snowmobile key. I eventually found it. We were happy! I asked for nothing, but when the guy offered, I was gladly paid in smoked venison. If he is just all business, then $20 an hour sounds pretty good. Maybe less, or even nothing per hour, but some kind of bonuses for what you find?
Go, look, talk, reason, make a deal, pray, go to work!

I'm split on this.. I've offered to help a couple of archeologists knowing I would not receive anything because it is a volunteer position.

I would do it for fun. What do you really have to lose?

BUT if they're dead set on paying you 100 bucks for the day and bring you a lunch/beverages maybe a few relics :p

How about you search for free for your love of history and hobby and if anything good is found then discuss. Money up front makes it a job and customer expectations. That would ruin the hobby and fun for me.
I agree

Why not try this. As mentioned before, stop by the residence and speak to the owner.

Tell him you be happy to do if free of charge... BUT " I really need your help in return on permissions to adjacent properties old homes etc. So ask him is his realitives live in old homes? Has unrestricted access to property to hunt. This to me would give me many months of untapped places to hunt!

If he says no well it's a judgement call than.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like he may have some unrealistic expectations. Even on some of the best sites like this the finds can at times be disappointing and few.....or hunted for years before the good stuff shows up. If you charge a fee for hunting this area and either come up empty handed or with very little to show , you are bound to have a really awkward moment :lol:

So payment should really depend on your success , not an hourly rate. If it really is a honey hold of amazing historic finds then things might go well , but if not.....there is lots of opportunity for disappointment and misunderstanding between both of you. I don't know , just thinking out loud here......

Interesting opportunity and definitely a few ways to approach it.

You could end up with payment for doing what you enjoy but lose out on the value and enjoyment of some of the more valuable items you find. There could also be nothing but you've spent your time and effort trying to get to that conclusion.

Either way I would definitely have some sort of written agreement prior to starting, otherwise as others have said you could have an awkward moment when all is said and done.

Back
Top Bottom