Hi, Just Joined & Detector Problem

Señor Toad

Hi everybody, I just joined. I've been detecting on and off, mostly off, since 1982. However I'm newly retired now so thought I would pick it up again.

I started out with a Bounty Hunter in 1982, but that unit has long since given up the ghost. I'm currently using a Garrett 550, had it about 15 years, also a newly acquired Garrett pinpointer which is working great.

Unfortunately the 550 is not working so great. I had it out to three local parks yesterday and detected only junk, no coins. At first I thought these places have just been completely worked out, everything of value gone. But now I'm not so sure. I threw a quarter on top of the ground and my detector would barely register it. This detector used to ring like a bell when it found a quarter. I'm using fresh batteries. I think I should sell this detector and get a new one.

Last edited:
Loose cable, poor connection somewhere.
Welcome to the forum from Racine.
Perhaps you would like to join our club we meet next Tuesday in Oak Creek:D

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=231579

Used AT PRO models will be selling cheaply once the AT Max comes out:yes:

Thanks, I just might do that. I'm within driving distance.

Yes, I haven't reseated anything or done any basic troubleshooting yet, so I need to do that before I give up on it.

Last edited:
I have a Garret GTAX 550 and had the same issue. it turned out to be corroded wires and terminals in the coils plug. They were so bad I couldn't re-solder them. I ended up buying the Proformance eliptical coil and it works great. It's still a great detector and was one of the better ones in it's day. I think they discontinued it around 2007.

I have a Garret GTAX 550 and had the same issue. it turned out to be corroded wires and terminals in the coils plug. They were so bad I couldn't re-solder them. I ended up buying the Proformance eliptical coil and it works great. It's still a great detector and was one of the better ones in it's day. I think they discontinued it around 2007.
Thanks, I'll check that. It could well be as I've been storing it in my basement for years, probably not a good idea.

Edit: I checked the coil connection, no problem there.

So I popped the battery packs and found one of them coated in an oily substance, evidently one of my brand new Duracell AAs had sprung a leak. The pack itself was only reading 2.95V, should be 6V as it contains 4 batteries.

I found the offending party, its top was noticeably distended, like canned food that you shouldn't eat. The bad battery was still reading good at 1.48V, curiously, but its leaked acid was evidently preventing good conduction across the pack.

I cleaned everything and replaced the battery and now all seems well. Guess I'll get Energizers next time. I'm a bit embarrassed to have posted here without doing these checks. My apologies to the group.

But what you posted about getting a new Proformance coil has got me interested in that. I see on Amazon a larger coil compatible with this unit for about $150. It's larger than my original which will allow coverage of more ground with each swipe. It might be more sensitive too.
https://www.amazon.com/10x14-Search...sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=garrett+performance+550

Last edited:
That's a big coil and will be a lot to swing on that machine. Your back will not forgive you! I bought the 6.5x9 coil dirctly from garret for $139. I think you should go that route. Garret used to have a coil compatibility chart but it seems it's not on their site anymore. CALL them as they have the best customer service people. They will help and get you the coil chart for your machine. The 550 is still a great machine and will find you lots of things. Especially silver! This machine was in the top of their line and is NOT a toy machine.

Welcome from SW VA.

I used to hunt with a guy who had two models. of the gti 2500/1500, both great machines. But then again, i am still hitting the ground with a cxiii grand master w pm.

Back
Top Bottom