Is it the area's or my detectors???

sgtwilks

Forum Supporter
My first find was a 14 kt gold ring on a heavily searched old swimming lake that has never turned up a coin in 6 trips there and countless hours.(I'm thinking it was dumb luck) Ive searched older parks and schools and my only finds were clad about 60 bucks worth in the last month or so. These finds were with my fisher 1225x.

I bought a Garrett ace 250 and found some more clad and a sterling belt buckle.

I to date I found no silver coins and only a few wheat pennies.

My Garrett is ok finds deep coins and is pretty good at discriminating trash but my fisher is far more accurate at pin pointing objects.

What I'm asking is are these results normal for a novice?? I also need advise on my Garrett if anyone has time. Its a little frustrating to use and I go back to my fisher sometimes.

I think it's a little bit of both. I've been doing this for four years and have only found three silver coins and five silver rings. I used to run the 250 but use a Tesoro now. If you keep digging the silver will come. I have two silver rings in three hunts this year. Sometimes it IS location. But mostly, like you said, it's just getting your coil over the right place. It'll all come together for you. Promise.

I use a Garrett ACE250 with the stock 6.5x9 coil and its been pretty darn accurate. If the readings are telling me 4in down and it is some sort of iron content then that's what it pretty much is... roughly 4in down and an object that is made up of some sort of iron. Just recently I experienced some wierd signals (halo affect... I won't get into that... just saying), but other than that, the pinpointing feature is VERY accurate for me... that is with the concentric. I have a hard time with the DD that I have, BUT that is just me and having to learn how to use the DD more effectively. I still yet to have pinpointing issues with my machine. As far as location, YES, lots of it has to do with location. I've YET to find my first gold and/or silver, but have found my first ring not too long ago. It was a junk iron (i.e. iron content) ring, but the point being is that EVENTUALLY something will turn up. In either case HH \_

I have been using the 250 for about 5 months now and this is my first MD. The pinpoint feature is a bear to learn but now I seem to be getting better with it. I know how frustrating it is to learn a new machine on your own. The key to learning is patience and a lot of practice and it will come to you. So in the mean time dont :surrender: and HH

I started 4 years ago with an ace 250,found a couple of silver coins. Have
since upgraded to a better machine. Went back over some previously hunted
locations & found some more that I missed the first time out. Maybe just luck
but if there's nothing there your'e not going to find it. Doesn't matter how
expensive your machine is.

Thanks .. Im not throwing in the towel but I just wanted to see improvement. I will use the garrett more to figure it out.

You don't need another detector, you need brain power to get on a productive site! Successful metal detecting is very little about what you swing, it's where you go. I know of a few guys on the forums who hunt South Jersey and they certainly don't have any problem finding great stuff. But you have to put effort into to finding decent places to go. The swinging and digging, well that's the easy part any idiot can do. :yes: So in other words it's not you or the detector that's the blame for not finding much where you're at... it's because of where you're at. If I snapped my fingers and put you on a great Colonial site... which are still out there to be found... you'd think you were the man and the Garrett was the best kick a$$ thing ever made... because on a great site you can't fail!

I agree with Iron Patch 100%. Silver is out there. Research, Door banging, Phone calls will lead you to it. All they can say is NO! Getting another detector and hunting the same park is not going to do it. Unless you buy the Deus. I heard it melts rocks into Silver as you swing. Just Kidding Guys!:D

Yep it is always location, location, location. Which means reading and research, and looking at tons of old photos and maps of areas. Me I have it pretty easy in a way in that I will most likely find some silver at any site it hit.

im also a ace 250 new owner been at this little over a month location yes knowing your machine yes dumb luck yes already got a silver 4 indians and few wheats this hobby taught me patients i do go hunt alot so there are .10 days and 10.00 days in clad i still wont give up on any silver or gold HH

Iron Patch pretty much summed it up. All new people should remember that if your coil doesn't swing over a silver coin you are not going to find it.

As stated above, its all about location..
I'd say location is over 50% if not more of it.. The rest is hours of swinging and learning your machine..
Spend a little time researching for some more likely areas for more finds.. You'll get it, it's just a matter of sticking with it and finding the best spots for more potential.... HH
Sonny

Back
Top Bottom