Zlincolns and pine/spruce trees

Harley-Dog

This is merely an observation made over the weekend:  I've dug several hundred zincs since beginning this hobby so I think I have a "feel" for what I call average corrosion on these cheap-o pennies.  Anyway, I was retrieving coins from underneath a spruce tree at the school I normally hunt and noticed that the zinc cents were corroded far more than average, and I mean waaaayyy far more.  I can only guess that pine/spruce trees must make the soil around them extra acidic or something.  None of these cents were deep (average depth 1 inch) so I don't think they were in the ground longer than normal.  I come to conclude that pine/spruce tree soil has an enormous appetite for zinc!  Anyone else ever make this observation?

- Harley-Dog

Yup, your right on Harley. Every time I hunt in the pines, the Z's I find are really bad.

If you notice that around pine trees, nothing else grows. There is definite change in the soil that corrodes/retards growth of other things. :?:

Re: Lincoln's and pine/spruce trees

It is the acid in the soil, if you want to make  soil more acidic just add pine needles and the acidic soil  will eat the metal a lot quicker then a more alkaline soil

Guys - Given the same amount of time underground - what about being closer to the surface? Some of the worst clad that I have found is closer to the surface rather than deeper.

There is also a factor of mineral content.

Zinc is sacrificial metal that is used on boats to retard galvanic action. Trace amounts of more noble metals such as copper, chromium, nickel, etc cause electrolysis that will also pit the base metals. Zinc is almost at the bottom of the scale.

FelixtheCat said:
Guys - Given the same amount of time underground - what about being closer to the surface?  Some of the worst clad that I have found is closer to the surface rather than deeper.
and with pine needles that is where it starts and gradually leaches deeper

i've found several Z's in a yard with pecan trees and an old coal dump nearby...almost half the coin is missing on many of them.. Roadrunner_426

Back
Top Bottom