How good of a hunter ARE you?

The main thing you need is a decent site to hunt but I think impatience and laziness such as over analyzing signals and looking for a reason not to dig hurt performance. Of course you can't always dig everything but you should dig as much as possible because you have no idea what the situation is underground. Coins and rings can be in any orientation and mixed with any kind of trash. Some signals change completely when you dig a little or even scrape the surface.

Also you need time. The more you hunt the more you will find. I think a lot of experts who say they can tell everything from the tone are probably digging a lot of junk too but they spend enough time to find some good stuff. I don't know if I'm a good hunter or not but I have patience and usually find at least 1 or 2 ok things per hunt.

I have been looking at this thread for a while and thinking what makes a great or successful detectionist. As most that already replied I agree that learning your machine is vital. Having patients and a willingness to expand your thoughts to ever learning of experiences are also necessary. For me that means learning technical ins and outs of the new machines. I know I'm very challenged in this area. What ever machine is your chose matters not. White's, Garrett, and Minelabs. I've gone through my share and had success with all. Being able to research your sites and choosing them will led to finding better rewards. Reading the landscape. Being able to see what and where others before you in this game missed has been a great asset. Over the years in this hobby I have evolved and grown. At one time my goals were to dig a thousand in clad. As each year past the clad became just a target but not the goal. Now my goal is the Silver Coin and I can say I do dig them fairly regular. The last couple of years the hunts in themselves have been the greatest reward. Saying this it's been hunts with others that are willing to share knowledge and experiences that have created the best memories and the greatest rewards. Seeing others dig first's or finding growth in this hobby has been as great for me just being a part of it. For me the question is to continue to learn and expand my capabilities. I have abilities and over time developed an ear and it works well for me but that alone has limits. To be really good in this hobby you must keep learning and making adjustment when needed. Maybe even become technically aware. Jack

Well you've been blowin' that bubble for awhile now,eh Trapper? You must use Hubba Bubba...:lol:
Seriously well thought out and stated,and true. To get "good" at anything one is usually learning constantly and applying and testing...does it work? Does it work in my areas? Does it work for me? CAN I make it work for me? Is it a step backward? Maybe it's bad info! Maybe not...
The passion for discovery as seen through a child's eyes,though done with the means of an adult. Wide eyed wonder at the artful work on a belt plate or old coin...wondering if that smashed pistol ball hit something...or someONE!
The more we know about how to get to those moments the "better" we become,no matter what it is we each choose to try to find....

I hunt parks churches schools and permissions. Permissions are where I find almost all my silver, but discovering a silver in a pounded park is truly something special. I'm not that good at it, but I keep trying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom