Rutus Alter 71

I was curious regarding its ground balancing. apparently there isn't any, or something weird like that? What some people were rumoring. not sure but it looks like a good machine. I too would like to know more. It sucks there isn't any domestic support for it.

Oldest coin- 1958 Wheatie

I was curious regarding its ground balancing. apparently there isn't any, or something weird like that? What some people were rumoring. not sure but it looks like a good machine. I too would like to know more. It sucks there isn't any domestic support for it.

Oldest coin- 1958 Wheatie

It has a manual ground balance, but not a tracking ground balance like some. detectors.

I went to check out a new permission last evening, took the Rutus along.
Unfortunately i'm a few weeks too late to hunt it as the pastures have several inches of grass but i scouted around the base of some very old trees and popped a little silver shilling around 8" deep, a well worn coin of King George IV 1820-1830, the hodo said it was a good target, i hardly every look at the numbers on screen.
Hopefully the site will yeald older coins as it go's back to the late medieval times, just got to wait for the first cut of the grass!

Attachments

• 20170413_094059-590x590.jpg
    20170413_094059-590x590.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 418
  • 20170413_094047-590x590.jpg
    20170413_094047-590x590.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 407
ghound - Have you had the opportunity to try the Impact? How would you compare it to the Altus 71?

Not tried it mate, i have had the R2 which is the same platform. My soil reads med-high and the R2 was strangled for depth.
I do like the idea of online updates with the Impact, i don't like the extra weight, no concentric coil, fixed reactivity in the factory modes etc
The Rutus offers me more flexibility.
I do understand though the value of having a distributor or dealer in the same country, which Rutus doesn't have in the US.

Not tried it mate, i have had the R2 which is the same platform. My soil reads med-high and the R2 was strangled for depth.
I do like the idea of online updates with the Impact, i don't like the extra weight, no concentric coil, fixed reactivity in the factory modes etc
The Rutus offers me more flexibility.
I do understand though the value of having a distributor or dealer in the same country, which Rutus doesn't have in the US.

Thanks for your help. I like the update feature and the ability for tracking or manual ground balance that the Impact has. I worry that the Impact will struggle with EMI though. I run into that with my AT-Pro more than I like.

I need to read more about DD coils vs concentric. What's the value added with the concentric coil over say a sharpshooter DD?

https://youtu.be/IT25ENXGO9A

Here's a short vid of an air test on some uk coins, i had the gain on a setting of 40 out of 60, max sens, and running 16khz.
I done the air test indoors in my metal fabricating workshop, note how quite it runs at max sens, same in the field, sometimes it runs that quiet you wave the spade at it to check it's still turned on, it's not a noisy fart, spit and crackle machine!

Last edited:
I got a very similar response from Laura at Detecnicks, recommending waiting until the software update, one or two weeks. She also told me that she personally owns the previous model, Rutus Jupiter, and there was one small issue resolved quickly after that no problems over years of use and ownership, and with Rutus' service and resolution of problems for customers being excellent. I am going to nail down the service procedure and costs to ship if repair is needed and then make a decision. It looks like a very nice and reliable detector.

Update from Laura at Detecnicks:
I've received a message from Laura at Detecnicks regarding returning a Rutus 71 for repair or software upgrade. The box with the two coils weighs just over 9 pounds ( 4.1 kg),
and measures 23 inches x 13.5 x 7.5 inches ( 19 x 34 x 58cms). Shipping from GB to the US for this package typically $30-$35. They only do minor repairs and everything else
goes back to Poland. Some English is spoken by the managers at Rutus, and Laura says they are getting better at it. They have not had shipment problems from Poland to England.
So, I guess you can figure about $70 bucks to upgrade software to version 2. If I can get one with the two coils and updated software, I am leaning toward trying one out.:mder:

Back
Top Bottom