Coin drops

dewcon

Quality Control Expert
I headed out for a evening hunt, thought id do a couple of hours. The water is sure nice right now. Stepped in and got a nickel ..... after that for the next almost 2 hours i was digging. I found over $18 without counting the pennies. Im assuming someone decided it would be fun for the kids to go diving for coins.... well they werent very good at it. Either that or someone needed a weight belt. I now know what it feels like to own a PI at a ship wreck. Couple of other notables..... picked up a 1963 rosie a bit away from the spill so i dont believe it was part of those coins. Also.... who ever made the deposit.... left me one more thing, a 4 gr 14k wedding band. Im wore out but you cant beat a $100 day. Anyone else ever run into these kind of spills?

Dew

Sounds like a beach we have up here... once a year a lady brings change to a jetty and starts throwing it in the water and along the bottom of the slope... we think she thinks we are homeless and destitute... one hunt I remember pulling like forty dollars in quarters then going back the next day and doing it again... its always quarters... 3 of us always found over a hundred dollars in change at this one spot at the beach... she was probably sitting at a picnic table feeling good about herself for helping us out :lol:

Our spills are always zinc pennies. Don't know if whoever does it got nervous or caught? But they been slacking here lately. Maybe they pulled their back loading that 5 gallon bucket of zincs they usually dump out? I know it helped me find a big class ring once since it came in a zinc penny while i was clearing zinc litter:lol:

Yep, I had one like that..

I headed out for a evening hunt, thought id do a couple of hours. The water is sure nice right now. Stepped in and got a nickel ..... after that for the next almost 2 hours i was digging. I found over $18 without counting the pennies. Im assuming someone decided it would be fun for the kids to go diving for coins.... well they werent very good at it. Either that or someone needed a weight belt. I now know what it feels like to own a PI at a ship wreck. Couple of other notables..... picked up a 1963 rosie a bit away from the spill so i dont believe it was part of those coins. Also.... who ever made the deposit.... left me one more thing, a 4 gr 14k wedding band. Im wore out but you cant beat a $100 day. Anyone else ever run into these kind of spills?

Dew
About 6 years ago, but it was in the dirt. I was new to MDing with a Tesoro Cibola in a local park. Came upon a 10 foot square in the grass where I dug $63.50 in clad quarters. I *think* I know how they got there. About 10 tears prior, while on patrol at night, (I was a local cop, now retired) I chased on foot a couple young boys from a burglary of a nearby video arcade. They'd broken into several machines and ran through that area. We never did ID the boys, so they got away with the crime. But I'd have to bet that's where the coins came from.

Dew

Now that's some serious battery money Dew. Thanks for sharing.

About 6 years ago, but it was in the dirt. I was new to MDing with a Tesoro Cibola in a local park. Came upon a 10 foot square in the grass where I dug $63.50 in clad quarters. I *think* I know how they got there. About 10 tears prior, while on patrol at night, (I was a local cop, now retired) I chased on foot a couple young boys from a burglary of a nearby video arcade. They'd broken into several machines and ran through that area. We never did ID the boys, so they got away with the crime. But I'd have to bet that's where the coins came from.

What a coincidence that you were the one to chase them and then find the loot ten years later.

I found 39 buffalo nickles in a lake in a pile. I can only assume it was a roll dropped off a boat. I can't immagine somebody tossing in 18.00 in change though.

I guess you could call that a Buffalo Pile.

I found over $6 in clad in a 10 foot square under a diving board last month, so I guess that would be called a pocket spill by many.

900$ of coins one day

There, when i was, there is three hunters hunt in the same time, i know them, they found over 900$:wow::shock: in one day and the next day they found 250$:yes: someone, he hide those coins in the beach:)

Thats a lot of digging. You should be tired. I get tired if there is to much digging or to much swinging. I like a good mix with some gold too of course. Congrats
HH BH

Yes i was wore out. Hit it again today.....and you know those pennies i didnt find many of ..... well i found um. Ended up with another $6 mostly pennies. What you realize that you all ready knew...... like objects tend to settle together.... oh no. If there are multiple targets you also cant dig them the same because everything you scan the hole there is something there. So im right in the troff with the waves crashing trying to dig these coins. You have to look in every scoop full of shells.... just to pick out 1 penny. My monster scoop about killed me... thats a lot of shaking and weight. I earned every penny. Got 1 junk ring and a silver earring as well. You also realize you have to dig them to get them out of there.... or you will keep finding them every time out .... even DEEPER. What a day..... man im cheap labor.

Dew

I found a bunch of clad in the strangest spot once along a creek behind a neighborhood. It's just a run-of-the-mill little stinky creek full of litter. Anyway, there was a little sandy beach type area that I checked out. I pulled coin after coin after coin from that little strip in probably a 4 foot diameter circle. They were all buried pretty shallow, all clad, and all very shiny like they hadn't been there long. After the first few, I was just using my pinpointer to find them. I figure it was either kids playing pirate or someone was setting up a test garden for their new MD or something. ;)

It's a strange thing, some days you can go out on the sand bar and there are holes created by the current, they tend to collect coins pretty well... I think my best was probably five dollars equivalent in pesos in one scoop and the detector was still sounding off on the hole...

My biggest clad haul in 1 hunt was about 15 bucks. Pond was near a snack stand. And had not been hunted in probably more then 2 years. Mostly quartrers.

Next thing I wanna add. I went back, next day. Slow. Back an forth. And found a nice 10k class ring from 1963.

The next hunt that comes to mind is a long time ago, for me. 2001 or 02. I cleared a pond that must have had around two rolls of pennys spread out on it. About 4 silver rings, and 1 gold. I said hunt, I meant at least two. I don't remember.

Dew, how bout a pic of the ring? hh an gl -Joe

Dew

Dew

great hunt, massive clad count,,,,they must have taken up a donation from other beach goes to make that wishing well,,,:lol:yes, I have a few times,,,one last year where someone had thrown 200 pennies in the water to dive for, (guy saw it the day before), was actually the day I got the big Plat ring,,,,oddly enough, two nights ago when I did the return for the lady I had one spill with 32 pennies,,,,,,they only left me a silver,,,,:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom