Best Program for E-trac test.

Gonehunting

Forum Sponsor
Forum Supporter
Ok I have recently gotten a XP Deus and want to set up the E-trac in a program that will best show off its capabilities. Now I am an experience user on the Trac, but in the case of a HEAD to HEAD comparison of the two detectors, my settings might not be the best to someone else. What I am trying to get at, everyone has their idea of the what the perfect settings would be. In your opinion, if you were wanting to question which was best and you wanted the E-trac to smoke the Deus what would you use? What are the settings you would use in the E-trac?
I will be hunting front yards with moderate trash, mostly iron, and rusty nails. The soil is neutral. My machine normally runs in Auto +3 at 24-26. I normally run at 28-29, with minimal discrim on top and bottom. Multi conductive, threshold at 19, volume limit at 30, gain at 26, response normal, variability 30, limits 30, threshold at 25, recovery deep, fast off, trash low, ground neutral.
I would like to see some seasoned Trac'rs to chime in. Gonehunting..

The first thing you need to remember is that you will always have your critics. You should have this set higher or that lower.

Personally I think your videos are great. I think Bart picked a good man.

I have never used a Deus or even seen one. In fact I am pretty new to the E Trac. But I think you should just set up the detectors like you would for a personal hunt. No need to go unstable or balls to the wall. Do that for both detectors and give your honest opinion on both. If you hit a deep target or two see how both react and what you need to tweak to make either detector see the target. I hate fresh buried test as much as air tests.

Have fun testing and don't worry about pleasing everyone. Your opinion and word are good enough for me. We already know that the Deus is a good detector.

You should set the E-Trac exactly as you have for everyday hunting. Same screen pattern, same settings. If I was running my E-Trac in that test, it would be in the Andy's pattern, manual sens, deep off, fast off, trash high. Those are how I normally hunt.

Goodmore was right, you will always have your critics in ANY heads up comparison. There are many vids that are obviously intentional in thier bias, but I don't see that in yours. I think you are doing a fine job in your vids, so keep it up!

If you hit a target with one machine are you going to see if the other machine hits on it too before you dig or is this going to be a cut both machines loose and see who finds the most/best?

I would think if it's the latter then it isn't so much a comparison as it is a competition.

I think goodmore and Jason in Enid nailed it ;) I have been using the E-trac for a few years and if not relic hunting in TT ferous wide open quick mask, I'm using andy's pattern in manual sens. as high as I can go usually 28-29.I think for the "most" part everyone that has been using the E-trac for a while stay's away from auto or at least they should be ;)

The first thing you need to remember is that you will always have your critics. You should have this set higher or that lower.

Personally I think your videos are great. I think Bart picked a good man.

Have fun testing and don't worry about pleasing everyone. Your opinion and word are good enough for me. We already know that the Deus is a good detector.
I appreciate that.. Thanks for the vote of confidence.. I try not to be biased and hopefully that comes across in my vids.. When I find something, I think I had the right detector in my hand at the time..

I looked at it, but with the E-trac I hardly ever use the fast on, its really a preference for me. I go really slow with the machine, and feel with fast on you possibly loose a little depth. but that's why I posted this thread. I wanted to see what others do..

Goodmore was right, you will always have your critics in ANY heads up comparison. There are many vids that are obviously intentional in thier bias, but I don't see that in yours. I think you are doing a fine job in your vids, so keep it up!
Thanks Jason.. I appreciate that.. Can't wait for the ground to dry up..:D

If you hit a target with one machine are you going to see if the other machine hits on it too before you dig or is this going to be a cut both machines loose and see who finds the most/best?

I would think if it's the latter then it isn't so much a comparison as it is a competition.
I like to do the comparisons, but you don't realize how time consuming it is to carry both machines till you get them out and work them... The problem for is which do I use first, how do I judge which is going to hit the best..lol well since I have a new machine, yes I will take it out first.. But with every deeper target I do go get the other machine and check.. With the Deus being faster it would cover more ground and possibly find more, but the Trac really gets them deep and could possibly have better finds.. Thats why I posted the vid. I don't want it to be a competition, but a comparison, how much tweaking do I have to do to get both machines to hit good..:cool:

I think goodmore and Jason in Enid nailed it ;) I have been using the E-trac for a few years and if not relic hunting in TT ferous wide open quick mask, I'm using andy's pattern in manual sens. as high as I can go usually 28-29.I think for the "most" part everyone that has been using the E-trac for a while stay's away from auto or at least they should be ;)
I agree with you there.. My pattern is more open than Andy's though, but it's just a preference..:D
Thanks guys for the input..

I like cmbvet think that side by side is the only way to go. So far all of the comparisons is that they have been hunting with one then the other and using find totals. To me that isnt one at all. Lets say you use the XP first and detect targets, then strictly Pin Point them and mark the spot with say a wooden golf tee or something. Then you run the Etrac over your same search area and see what it picks up. Then you dog the targets to see what was actually there and how well each discriminated out the junk and which found the deepest target easiest.
Actually I wish I was near you because I would be glad to follow you with the Etrac and see what it finds over the XP or vise versa. Maybe you can enlist someone near you to do that. Sorry you did that the video is in the other section. Good job that is how they should be compared.

The way I have seen some coil comparison hunts is to take a defined area like a sidewalk strip. Measure off 50 feet of length or however much you care to hunt. Hunt it with one detector and mark the spots. Hunt it with the second and mark those. Then, carry some marker flags (like the utility companies use) of 2 colors. Put a flag for each detectors target so you can show a visual of the individual and the combined hits. Then show the digs for the individual targets.

Just an idea.

Back
Top Bottom