My Best Day EVER !

Tinfoilhat

Forum Supporter
Today is the craziest day that I have ever had detecting. Easily my best day ever, but not for the normal reasons.

I returned to the Land of Buried Tractors & Other Stuff. You can check out the pics and some of the conversation here:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=233416

I had a few hours today and for whatever reason, was dying to return to this property. I haven't found a single good coin yet, other than a few cents in clad. At this point, I'm digging lots of iron, and just trying to clean the place up enough to try for the deep stuff.

Once again the owner was gone. He is such a nice man. Bill spends most of each and every day with his hospitalized wife. In spite of her being in the hospital for weeks, he always has a smile on his face. He's just one of those people that you're grateful to meet.

I picked a section of yard and just started working it thoroughly. Once again, I dug a ton of junk. Every once in a while a modern coin would show up. But for the most part, I was just paying my dues, trying to clear junk.

At some point I hit a penny signal. Very smooth tone. Didn't sound deep. Sure enough, I found a penny. And finally, I squeaked in to a Wheatie. I actually started chuckling as I had made a joke early this morning about digging a crusty wheatie. I finally knocked the skunk off, even if it is a lowly '56.

M60Ck79ZJ98QY3tVEhLFrvX4AATKi-ow9St_YhvkVR3bgeFOgfww0XRpb4QuaC4nRsOT9l66wpQyXSUaM_eD7br16y7D4S8wbUMKQMfvj0OFGHmHMyXD_hHNhY36gTyVPtm2hi2ryrKzaGQk-Iu4Mp14d084UDMzYcJKe8nK9jgaf2q-2ffOOj9DFiUsS3q1yDo8PjTa9ZsFj_ebDfzxHgMk4R2qkFVuZCZDfblcwlg4uxRKFpbmnWNB0zMM3WvZAimK9USJ4NWG9vlQK8ZqDPa0bRtSd5z9v79F1W6UIIFK5Yc7_nJ76FPwPqSJmPiW7jAhnBJg5x3M15lury4p7_clFmD9j288C-Bg9A-oKON4jJ3Ey9Z3_QkV2hzlQ5hG-Bc8m_nOZQqDtaiUTIV958-NWMxw6ZmsAi71jAcpmemjewyc9NFZxxyRJzYZm1AMYip59b0w8s1pfWdKkzJsx-uM9jKt8vU78fRiet-JqMuWKNO2gJWbEMqO8-8RAzHXwlJBG7TQxwhaFoOVv0R_l4ydyQsG-dhNrBgMI4R5Filjj2vsrMSMh0V5ahy1o48QI5tXY-t_06LRRkl7CficCvWJzEGGOu8=w522-h696-no

I just got done replacing the sod when I saw Bill pull in. I shut the Deus down and walked over to greet him. I inquired about his wife. He told me that she was doing better but not quite ready to be released.

He then asked if I had found any goodies. I told him that thus far, I had only found a Wheatie. Once again I thanked him for his generosity in allowing me to detect whenever I want.

Bill then said he was going to try and put me on some gold ! He explained that he lost his wedding band last week. There was about a 25 percent chance that he lost it somewhere between where he parks and the house. He looked for it a number of times but had no luck. And to make matters worse, the yard people were there the day before. He was disgusted and said he went down and bought another one. If I found it, I could keep it.

I told him there was no way I was keeping his wedding ring IF I could even locate it. He's not even sure he lost it at the house. Further, the lawn service guys were here and if they ran over it, could have shot it across the yard, or worse, in to the fringes of the waist-high wheat.

My heart broke for the guy. He has been so nice to me. If I had to spend the next month looking for his wedding band, I would do so.

While Bill and I chatted, I was already mentally thinking about how I would run the Deus. I was hades-bent on finding that ring. I'll crank the sensitivity up until it starts chattering like a beaver with buck teeth! I'll be digging BB's at 36 inches but if its here, I WILL FIND THIS RING ! I owe this guy.

SO........ this is the part where I'm supposed to tell you that my detecting prowess, coupled with my XP Deus, gave me a faint signal from 10 feet away. I then followed the Deus, using it like a dowsing rod, until it led me to the ring!

Well.....here's how it really went down. During a lull in our conversation, I told him that I only had about another hour before I had to head home, so I better fire up the detector and get busy. I also told him that I would return Friday and really get serious about trying to find it. I looked down at my feet as I turned to grab the Deus. I thought I caught a glint of light. Right between my tennis shoes WAS THE RING !

I yelled at the top of my lungs. Scared poor Bill half to death. He thought I was having a heart attack and asked me if I was OK. That's when I smiled and held up his ring. We laughed like school girls.

Bill high-fived me and told me to take the ring home as it is such a great story. I told Bill there was no stinking way I was taking his wedding band. This went back and forth until I offered an alternative plan. I asked him to swap me for the stainless steel band he just bought. That way he has his band and I have something that reminds me of the wonderful moment. Bill said there was no way he was giving me his Wal Mart stainless steel band as it fits! And if he wears his old one, he'll just lose it again. You gotta love old school logic !

I finally got him to agree to take his wedding band in exchange for a picture. He finally agreed, but insisted he buy my wife and I dinner. I agreed with the understanding that its tacos and not some high end steak house.

What are chances that I'd find the ring, let alone be literally standing on top of it!

I cannot begin to describe how happy I am. I was able to do something, however lucky that it was, for such a kind man that continues to give me the run of his place to detect.

What an absolutely incredible day ! WOOHOO !

MrYfEX_e_Min6jHYFTe_cGWggoWWwZdHTF8-wu4ob6ay7bvAkk5IQiN20jcR-Swd1jeTcxiOVWnt2sKhXEjQNGGz8JJfq0FHQSFMIvtKOdkAolGBtxDXBBriM7z10zNTFjGHUpONCxFGkgCResLqgZos5C_sNXteO0VzpGnioyYKLipUUTBWIHon4S3ozSY2Z6-7BFvpzw5tJfwd20ahYxth0vvboqRMRrWifH3S5brMxUuPoJQXxeeeGpbYWUtgHsn0-Y3OrcphGeWW9M60GyeZhgj9NkA8jSomt3wUajVOFIdGtoLEXQYfCaJ4v9cmg_YrnRSzAB3KJo7Jh_QwyIsWTWrCvciTry-rKM_q0k7tk4aLR6eYcIrRWtBgzDPP2VyarTXdlyB-57Rf52kiy_BUPzYKEaFxsCDfaFxHlE2AgnTBaFTvb1ZBS_T3VcNktnCtmudc3zSDDjUJxOHcBufMHnXdPQrMxu68bqeWvuuOn8NCEYsvCNeuXuzwC1n3PDgiZie-ylTLAMvTEsqpvZa3nB0ILBwYh9WXQKgM-ZlUVALYGrIgURjdKdQvzRglkQgp6rDjXs3IhANCG4qm1WKrB1WOTpc=w811-h696-no

Last edited:
That's an awesome story. Building up the good karma! I'm sure a few nice finds will show up under your coil very soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What a great story !!:D Obviously it was meant to be. Being a recent drop, it should have been close to the surface. Also looking for it as soon as possible was a positive way to insure it wasn't run over or stepped on. Your determination to find it for him was admirable. Congratulations on doing everything you could to help. Karma stepped in and prevented a lot of searching time.:yes: This speaks volumes about your character. GREAT JOB !!!

:laughing::laughing: Outstanding! Thats great there! Hey...you better take a look at that wheatie...

like Edsel Detector said...if it IS a 1959 D wheatie, you hit the jackpot seeings how there were 0 officially minted that year!
Mud

Back
Top Bottom