An Open Letter to New Detectorists

Tinfoilhat

Forum Supporter
I was chatting with a new detectorist the other day. He was explaining that if he only had some place to detect........a quality place, then surely he would make great finds just like all the hardcore vets that post here. I think I've heard this song sung more than Freebird. In fact, I am certain that I've sung it a few too many times myself.

I have a fantastic story to share as an example of what really happens metal detecting. And I believe that the vets will back me up on this. It's going to be long-winded. But I believe it will generate some great conversation.

In spite of being a long-time detectorist, I have recently hit a wall in terms of hunting locations. Heck, I've even wiped out the tot lots in a 25 mile radius. Because of the heat and bone dry weather, I can't even hit the parks and ball fields in good conscience, knowing that any plugs cut will likely die.

What I needed was a new plan of action. I needed to make something happen!

My plan was simple.

1) Go back through my research materials and notes. With some serious study, I would surely chase down some new leads.

2) Call or reach out to every single person that I know and ask them how old their house was.

My research has yet to pay off, although I'm chasing some pretty exciting things that should make for some quality opportunities this fall.

And the phone calls to my friends? While still early in the process, I have been offered a couple of great opportunities, with a number of permissions still in the process of being secured.

Last week, I stopped by a friends place to catch up. I had never been to her home and the visit was long overdue. On the way I started seeing old home after old home. Frankly, I almost wrecked the truck more than once. I passed farm houses, Gingerbread Victorians and settler shacks. I may or may not have wet myself when I turned a corner and found myself staring at a civil war era federal style brick home. I thought I was going to have to breathe in to a paper bag for the rest of the trip.

As I pulled up in to her driveway, I couldn't help but note that her beautiful home had clearly been built in the last 20 years. Dang the bad luck!

At some point we got to chatting about local history. She told me that she grew up in the area and knows everyone. She also told a wonderful story about her latest dog rescue and the neighbor that helped save her. She pointed to the house next door. The turn of the century massive farm house with corn crib and World Fair design 2 story Dutch style barn. GAAAAH ! Oh, the shameful things I would do to that man's yard with my trusty Sampson and Letche !

I made joke about it. She told me that she was certain that I could detect his place and that she would get permission for me. This led to a 2 hours trip of the local area with her pointing out where dilapidated structures were when she was a little girl. And no less than 10 amazing properties that she said she would inquire upon, on my behalf.

Before I left, her neighbor contacted her and told me I had permission to detect any time that I wanted, no need to call in advance.

This is it! Finally a property where detecting dreams are made! Right?

With Friday off, I grabbed my new XP Deus as well as the trusty ATPro. I was armed with a cooler full of sandwiches and ice cold beverages. It had rained the last two days and I could dig anywhere on the property without worrying about leaving his breathtaking yard looking like Falujah.

I walked around a bit to try and get a feel for the property. I noted where add-ons were done to the home and where original ingress and egress points were. It was a tremendous sized property.

I elected to start by the corn crib as my friend and her husband also own that piece of property. I was uncomfortable being too close to the home before meeting the homeowner face to face. It was too early in the day to get accidentally shot.

The corn crib is old. Really old. It looks older than the house which perplexed me until I was given additional information.

gNHq921HPgq1_S7ycCjzaXOqnIlIrI-dUJl3ks0vUXy7AbubvpSZ5oNTYGjI_87W91lnccvo1LGCcWRcWwgafSwYttgxtGLp2xgXKdFtVv3zJcQmW2nU1wcXAA8cLqGAnKFhpGpsjKfF6W6acjRiqIH7Wunm2dnjGWAL2Ai4t5NlISBUg1ooWdvT3A0WOo0wJptTmVYsUCqVBgYQ3sSFp7Rlf5BZbzJsptIJ6FEjW8b2XAi9HmIZGBd-Gkwi-a9FtuqJVE2RWYFl8o_56v95Ca4cdzclE_-F7RwyU5nB5HZPiuss81JJbQsPpb0IEjq9hU7vYWy2slMHLW7t92XIWdB73PNi2ecqjlCdiO7NO_-74UcF_Z_UnngiRGS6Z44A_hCE3ItSUjZbCRDR6COS0YDq_cRI5Dqb2WoNz6KFKdUNu0_xpoxAbFg1QCuRW61ps-gIWSnlGkN6G5OMsmx7QoFKP2xBpbXNXkTR13M2ERkM4LeztFecHTWLxTCpFNnrOf93XVifJ2e1Kzg5enPC4xslgzoC-Zpd1GG-0PtuF974-fWEXctgIPF51fwVk0czlSRKzvHrAxPj101szUHy3zwa7U2sOTo=w928-h696-no

Check out the chain used for the door. That's hand-made blacksmith goodness!

MaFCTb9RUgAMPu1-H9sKKN8oV7rw5vbXbficYZ2zYzThQsA8U2pZHu7bOXw3UVefQOD3EbYlvj6qzV83X_drtn3xS7VQKA1owsIbuP3sextMjEIoTr1yvckjLEyDaSDLTmHOrvB1J-eqJaTWWKojis-uvRDRIOEx6xdCr8hHULu3UiLE7nA9VZ1liEigvHBnt-hv7H74gwN8nIz4xOSlL3P26oliUZJAfiFyBdBS9YM7bZQ-_FGRhQ9jd53ozwKZ1ubsHZkAqOVGUcTVu1GVvlh4A-8YBnlaLsucELs3s06r8dzthWVwlXPTk_Mqt5ptEBOXooN27Jh7NlS0gAchASfz1RduqILQ_Kc5CL8DZX37D-gfRJmZY1Sp0E5ktqcS2js8RW9SmIJPhn98S3GEbi4TJpjRbF9ey3J4DrNqjeB5vdhuUk2Ttobf7HF8yLqR1pgEhoE2waCaDBXj0bNOVddRkcUCph2_-iMjLljfU-r_wMe9FKOz41wmFGRepYXg5inRhIs7YG_XicR1gIqWBwMo9DU5evb2n-YkJ5E-N6bv1PKnQ4ZsaJf0qzQADC9XKs0wKsHEZGjYdqXfeNFrdDV-_VhMutk=w520-h696-no

If this doesn't scream old coins, I don't know what does !

HzJj4P1BYkkgzpSBHhD0LW9dyCdrRUqIJmzUzhLlwcgeoBDzL4YA_odwDJFpSB6hBSiJVXXe2EvTQASecpTKwB_85q7UQXvtv5N8i8oZN60gFkGqyMFCp6V2HrkHcG8ggmPgjyNtt37UKYyl2yPAbxbUdmz3C569RH4Wn0g1OdKVq36lpNHR-UGMS_dxIm3AcHEtr34523newH_PBZKxftMRgE1UpRvfsZ6xZTyf8maQO4CiwYsBIKxOb7x7ryQ-u0_gia3TIzlutq_f9PMDo4E0DeRGBxWr2S1RoX3WNbyOK2W_NXlLsAVwuftYOZSSsJJtSP5takcTFzLDC2HYisjXajFgnof3eWwHqjSLSLUdMZ28DraQuCcqwSrAeRuE6zHNVuueuUQYUrB3qGzXfBpXmaBqB0EPYM_cE_82_ECPhtuiIrsPvs1qVAFhmprYCcsPrkjSzwOSOFQ1qpCkq-XdJHuuInA_OSlwBo6yUlMVDhDTl2ww1Pg6qvtkUJjciZRbcVm0H-oq3DWDrOipHYHXfBbNAzQfLbRIjKmCXbghtC0wsCJTlNdNWlliKJayiMxUuqw8FOsIw8bODjQCfKJnTBuNYy0=w928-h696-no

I fired the Deus up. I switched to a custom program that I begged off of TNSharpshooter. This man has been killing himself to help me learn my new Deus.

It took about 30 minutes for the sexy to wear off. Every single place that I attempted to detect was massive iron signals. And I mean overwhelming. I tried changing programs, cutting sensitivity, Discrim, and notching. And I believe I did so with intelligence, based on my study of the Deus thus far.

While the Deus is becoming well-known as one of the best detectors in iron, this place was akin to attempting to detect the loose change under the seats of cars at a junk yard.

Just then, the owner pulled up. One of the nicest people that I have ever met. He asked me politely to steer clear of the family pet cemetery while pointing it out. He was also kind enough to tell me that his mom had mentioned that there was an early settlers cabin on a section of the property prior to the house being built. Finally, he closed with telling me to detect wherever I wanted and that anything I found was mine to keep!

With tractors clearly buried by the corn crib, I decided to move to the glorious yard. Surely there were pounds of silver just waiting to be unearthed!

I begin by working the trees. Some of them were monsters. This guy here had to be 5-6 feet in diameter.

99Xt3F2YimsOtnJyh23J8Sd0mIWO73RRJLZ1yU_WDEHiQOU_ToWvk8FxJ4rJo5Zt9c8hgF5WNGzF0N2rJ2_NVK2gvGRpceMqGDJf-n-Cs-nT2Alj4UDoCkzmRys7mSVsimdGn360VTmdB0tQgL8ehKYCkzVgqlwW2yhTTVm_95dqphPKckg3O86qJ7g6WlGA3JVqCcAR63VvkfT_XRJHakQcMcgFOnM8Zvh55SnNYCCT00iSaQ0T4NX7AqWynS2EcDyd_Zq2CEA69yRkuEbBtgOe1Bm5TrG3V7NZzJl4ryUd9Ap9d17sw_GAaHdQW88YACecp5vZidXQdQ01-NX4InhcfZV7VdXe_SkfkY3sQ7Vp2lwOHSJPLgjU1ZmQ3IwJkBQ9JzaJluiowfOnm2V0z_POrz5lItoilKZNv-RMF3w-0fQjfsenlHpG1RCq5yCHn1nS6dkjoDZ5-f6DL8WLWGVD-aIfSFH2S5ALBljUALzGoDTQx918cYqcKvJZ3qTCdTCFFv_KIAyPS3T1IJW5qiULSE0qJZNnruya1m5CYkAix3J8waTxUVFjUnv_MrDWdJE8KssHCWnDZArSHOXRzhhzQfjLZ8Q=w520-h696-no

Unlike the corn crib, the yard was hauntingly quiet. It was all but devoid of signals. So quiet in fact that I thought the Deus was broken or that I had made a programing mistake, rendering the unit useless. Everything checked out.

After 4 hours of endless detecting, it was time for a sandwich and to think about just what the heck was going on. The corn crib ground read like Europe after WW2. The yard OTOH, was cleaner than most fill dirt. It was driving me nuts!

Next plan of attack was to see if I couldn't locate the site of the original settlers cabin. While I did not know exactly where it was, the owner had pinned it down to a small enough area. I would just pick a line and march back and forth, with the IRON AUDIO turned up. Surely I'd stumble across old nails or some other item.

Almost immediately I encountered the worst case of EMI that I have ever heard on a detector. It was playing rave music on the Deus. I changed freqs and still it remained. WTH? It was so crazy that I busted out the ATPro and it was even worse ! This made no sense as there are no major power poles in the area.

By now I was beaten up pretty bad. This property wasn't coughing up anything and it was driving me nuts. Just then the owner came out and chatted with me a bit. Explained that he thinks there is a six inch electrical or phone cable buried on the property right through where the original cabin sat.

He asked if I had found anything. I explained that I had found nothing other than a few modern coins. He then told me that a couple of detectorists hunted the yard a bit a decade or so ago. AHA !

OK, Plan D. I had two choices. I could abandon the property and go home licking my wounds, or really commit to the property.

According to the owner, the family corn crib was used for years by both the family and the neighbors. He said ever since he could remember (he's mid 80's), wagons would move through it, either adding or taking, depending on time of year. The played around it and in it. People often got together in the space between the house and corn crib. The same place as all of the god-forsaken iron! At some point the crib stopped being used and was converted to the spot where farm equipment came to be repaired or die!

This is when I had an epiphany of sorts. If I was serious........really serious about making great finds, I was going to have to clear the junk. ALL OF IT !

I spent the rest of the day digging iron. Lots of iron. Huge iron ! If I can remove the big stuff, I honestly believe that the Deus will then be able to do its job and filter through the other debris.

I filled multiple 5 five gallon buckets full of iron and metal. Here is an example of the stuff coming out. This was a single pouch dump. That's an axe head converted to a wedge in the upper right corner, for scale.

agzEUBipW0V-bW1Y7K2Z5xIflnYxVM-zjbBjtLctzqNLCY7NsFtQHkAlDgGjk6i2yVFS3sgziuatHFYvtaFPSJ_fXtBkMKHOMtCmI0bZact682xmzaVdQi7TMX3n0pUPqukDweJTY_f9xDIDpgyOtH9VSmk8y6FKhTXuvzs98r91PQEgkx_QeAWdA8FnKlb11j55Y-pDHbQgoC8rOyu9y3umyF7_mCV_kZz3DwgwJxxGBZGt11uSKCX7tvXfNkvtGb469-TPzsaSk91h6IvQoWMtpHbJyF-aHfvo4CoBfBOPYnnnpEaHwTsF6fPjmYsb4-634BNS3jRB7jcTI-Gi8NWi8XF9oWmtdO2FX1wzo7Z_VPJDnv8G_sPV33FRqhnCxqK8pEbFeFTloc1XS11HOv7p-MMva9c8q8e9QVm0KXglTz2SQZfP69UkTAnFWgWRctmgAaXuV2GRE8mX95ne6PvAJk9SZglsqIQdWHuijiNg4prMV5Tw2fTZHA4kXDZhBJ45W2nAajmmZEzg9AJfbErQHjNF0nmuM-XCPdhgIuLXeeDjeexWUFbapVLwsq-BqCmJWg016Xwv5ONsesrB8AWgS8E1OUE=w928-h696-no

So what were my finds after 9 hours of detecting and removing an insane amount of junk? 26 cents in clad. This is the only thing I kept. Interesting metal tag.

BroCxrngCz-oz43AFu0YylKtLnklDeg-GXxA3ySp7YWlPH4cQ4csRZE8N8gvm0s9rre4JBXtLTZjGE27cjLRvxbJdk8I-W2HQif0O7Q7uj0FHF5XfFM0-XQ0B-OW2i5kMdog25LfZbtHvlKL8cTYEhbFF_rBc9UeqJq1uR2ssnK-QRJx8MrwFOYJOTZnYDxx3QJixXp5LvBpDyALMobjlIMAyT8tSmn3PNPTmTga-JaXS9eDo5ctYJ_qSORFTxzk213Hz2tUqrv-Mvk9xjniodxJ2Korurfd8RCPaIEwdxRmuVqBUtBXqI8LQhRz8ctwR2OVwcPSP-3JyZs_8SNivEEbgWnL7i_e6wmL070RaIB95ikpgmgbMOU4pfNohM5u5P1DoaMJfUuITYoE5hWXkvsyGfnd_4bZcg-JdEdYUjGtMeRjJKXveJPrFnPX38U3XFISXF4VwSj2EDwZdjdUFEYSQ83B05oxRpOfxpWD58nAGgOExvDLzMTbgA1PiTyvXfuwS4FGXvQqbfVxJDG8CY8lj9EHzOp-lUQCtLbfk2DwQicTz3EJ32GpVFNMBrjD18mARYrnXuZ24SVXeVYRsLN7bOCO93k=w681-h696-no

By now you must be asking yourself, after my entire diatribe and clearly a miserable day detecting with nothing to show, what is my point?

My point is simply this. For every amazing find that you read about on here, there are 100 stories just like mine that are never posted or really talked about. A lot of blood, sweat and tears. I think the only thing that separates those with great finds from those without is how hard detectorists are willing to work to even get a shot at the good stuff.

Are there easier spots? Man, I sure hope so. But until I obtain permission for and identify a cherry picking spot, you'll find me clearing debris until SOMETHING starts to sing! And I'm gonna bring friends too because this place is driving me crazy.

Please don't think I'm being arrogant or pretending to be some great detecting tough guy. I just wanted to share what I believe it takes to make great finds.

It kind of sucks. But I'm told that the rewards can be huge.

I'll save the part about me digging in to a termite nest and being swarmed for some other time.

Last edited:
GREAT POST. I will use myself as an example but I am sure it applies to several of us. After some GREAT HUNTS, I experience a let down if I don't find SILVER / Gold. However, you just never know when that next Great Hunt is going to be so I just keep my head down and swinging. The good hunts will spoil you for sure. I for one have never posted my "bad hunts" (if there is such a thing), as I am sure most people don't, so it appears to "newbies" that if they buy a detector they are sure to have GREAT HUNTS right from the start and it certainly isn't that way. Good Luck and Happy Hunting to ALL. There ARE TREASURES out there.

GREAT POST. I will use myself as an example but I am sure it applies to several of us. After some GREAT HUNTS, I experience a let down if I don't find SILVER / Gold. However, you just never know when that next Great Hunt is going to be so I just keep my head down and swinging. The good hunts will spoil you for sure. I for one have never posted my "bad hunts" (if there is such a thing), as I am sure most people don't, so it appears to "newbies" that if they buy a detector they are sure to have GREAT HUNTS right from the start and it certainly isn't that way. Good Luck and Happy Hunting to ALL. There ARE TREASURES out there.

Excellent points!

Great post! Well spaced, beautiful pictures, very descriptive and entertaining writing style, no misspellations or punctuation flaws...A+++!:laughing::laughing:

Now quick, make another post to get you off of the '666' post total before something really bad happens!:laughing:
Mud

Great post! Well spaced, beautiful pictures, very descriptive and entertaining writing style, no misspellations or punctuation flaws...A+++!:laughing::laughing:

Now quick, make another post to get you off of the '666' post total before something really bad happens!:laughing:
Mud

Whew! That was close.

And thanks Mud!

As a newb to detecting I feel the urge to respond...

I was lucky enough (I use the term "lucky" because I havent developed any real skills yet) to stumble upon silver on two occasions in my first month of detecting and consider myself extremely fortunate. When I read post after post of guys with thousands of dollars worth of equipment digging multiple silvers/gold per outing I do feel a little humbled and as though I could produce more in a different environment armed with "better" equipment.

Then I realized my rationale was completely misguided. I know I have to dig buckets of trash for every decent find, and Im OK with that. Its part of the allure of the hobby...the ever elusive treasure. Im happy with my equipment and still developing as a detectorist.

I also know its all about location, location, location. You wont find diddly squat unless humans lived, settled, played, fought, died, etc at a certain location in the past. You have to do research. My town for example is in the heart of Ca gold country but Im finding so much territory is off limits to detecting due to restrictions to protect its heritage. Then I start thinking...in the past people had to get from point A to point B and make stops along the way. Points A and B might be protected, and rightfully so, but its the paths people took between those points that must be uncovered through research and where there will be plenty to dig.

I dont expect prime hunting locations, and quality finds to be laid in my lap. Im more than willing to practice with my machine, to do the research, and put in the work to get the rewards. I have no problem dumping the contents of my pouch in the trash at the end of nearly every hunt, I know Im just thinning the field to make the next pass more productive.

Just my newb perspective...but what do I know. Ive only been detecting a few months.

As a newb to detecting I feel the urge to respond...

I was lucky enough (I use the term "lucky" because I havent developed any real skills yet) to stumble upon silver on two occasions in my first month of detecting and consider myself extremely fortunate. When I read post after post of guys with thousands of dollars worth of equipment digging multiple silvers/gold per outing I do feel a little humbled and as though I could produce more in a different environment armed with "better" equipment.

Then I realized my rationale was completely misguided. I know I have to dig buckets of trash for every decent find, and Im OK with that. Its part of the allure of the hobby...the ever elusive treasure. Im happy with my equipment and still developing as a detectorist.

I also know its all about location, location, location. You wont find diddly squat unless humans lived, settled, played, fought, died, etc at a certain location in the past. You have to do research. My town for example is in the heart of Ca gold country but Im finding so much territory is off limits to detecting due to restrictions to protect its heritage. Then I start thinking...in the past people had to get from point A to point B and make stops along the way. Points A and B might be protected, and rightfully so, but its the paths people took between those points that must be uncovered through research and where there will be plenty to dig.

I dont expect prime hunting locations, and quality finds to be laid in my lap. Im more than willing to practice with my machine, to do the research, and put in the work to get the rewards. I have no problem dumping the contents of my pouch in the trash at the end of nearly every hunt, I know Im just thinning the field to make the next pass more productive.

Just my newb perspective...but what do I know. Ive only been detecting a few months.

I'm certainly no expert, but I think your perspective is perfect! It's something that we all have to remind ourselves of, from time to time.

If it was always easy, there wouldn't be a lot left to find and recover.

great post. it takes work, dedication, and perseverance to be good at this hobby. Sometimes you have to spend hours and hours researching. Even after that, securing permissions. And sometimes, you don't get a lick for all that work. I have been to some places that I absolutely thought were going to pay off, only to come up empty handed. I have also been to places where it was incredibly hard detecting. I always take these as chances to hone my skill. With the good and "bad," I try to enjoy myself. Afterall, I could be doing something like work instead!!

There is also a skill in adapting in the field. If you come across something you didn't plan on, and you will, knowing how to change that plan can be the difference between success and failure.

It sounds like your plan to clear out the big iron is a wise one. Think of it this way - that has probably been a deterrent to other detectorists. There may be amazing things awaiting you! And EMI can be impossible to combat. A permission of mine had new poles put in front of the house that are next to impossible to combat - even with very low sensitivity!

best of luck in the future!

I am not a newbie, but I know exactly how you feel.
I have been hiting some places for over 8 years and wonder if there is anything left.
Always looking for new opportunities and realizing that it is not possible to get silver on every hunt, otherwise it would be called "metal collecting":lol:

I am not a newbie, but I know exactly how you feel.
I have been hiting some places for over 8 years and wonder if there is anything left.
Always looking for new opportunities and realizing that it is not possible to get silver on every hunt, otherwise it would be called "metal collecting":lol:

Agreed... I am going on 8 years of detecting my yard now and the silver and such are far and few between.

The stuff that I post anymore is probably not interesting to many of those here, but I am growing quite fond of the everyday junk that has been discarded over the last 175 years.

I'm easy...

A bad day detecting beats a good day at work any day. Unfortunately for me, work still pays the bills.

Thanks for taking the time to share this and putting things into perspective for us noobs.

I'd like to think I knew what I was getting into coming into this hobby. I had an idea lots of trash was going to be pulled from the ground and I'm okay with this. I have a different perspective now. I don't look at old buildings the same, empty lots the same or my old high school the same anymore.

I can't wait for our next Philippines vacation. Imagine the kind of trash I'll be diggin' up there! It will be wondrous.

I spent father's day showing my father how awesome my machine is at finding nails in the front yard. We had a blast.

Learn that Deus well, Tin, as I may have to bug you for pointers soon.

Attachments

• 13495430_10154301790829600_7732483963333045921_o.jpg
    13495430_10154301790829600_7732483963333045921_o.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 585
Great down to earth story. We do see some impressive finds posted every day .
Keeping in perspective that 300 hunters may go out on a Saturday morning and if 20 show up here to show off it just seems that everyone is pulling keepers.
I had a great hunt today , found a couple bucks in clad , a wheatie and a 1900 barber quarter . I'm happy to be out hunting and one by one here and there I trip over a goodie. I have been sticking to public hunting grounds for the most part but I want to say that today's 1900 quarter was found at 4 inches . Smack dab in front of an old entertainment or band pavilion . The old park has been hunted to death and I was hunting in the place 9 out of ten hunters would start . Grabbed 2 dimes and 9 pennies also in the 45 min. I spent there. It was a tight signal but nobody would have passed on it .
Most of my finds are the from these types of hunted to death spots. Just a good day and I got the coil over it. No tricks , no secret equipment , just an old quarter that needed to be found by the center inch or so of that coil. 45 years of hunters? They all missed that inch of dirt . Makes me wonder what I miss by an inch every time out . I guess if your out swinging and the dirt is old you have 90% of the battle won.

Nice post... sounds exactly like my last few months of detecting... but hey, next time will be better... right?:lol:

Back
Top Bottom