My secrets of hunting trashy basketball courts....

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Okay, so I have posted a bunch about my ideas of hunting techniques, digging zinc signals and trash and some other tips in an effort to pay it forward to the next guy or any newbie so they might be able to find that next great thing a little sooner or a little easier.
I have so much fun in this hobby I think it is only right and a privileged to help others to do the same and maybe avoid some time wasting mistakes I have made in the past learning this stuff.

Over on Findmall, mudpuppy noticed the posts about the silver ring I found 3 days ago and the 2 gold rings I found yesterday plus lots of the other great things I have found around a specific type of favorite site of mine to hunt...basketball courts.

Here are the two threads I posted here about a new site I just started to hunt...
Silver ring
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=154957

2 gold rings on one hunt
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=155174

and here is a question mudpuppy asked about these court sites asking on info about how I think because I seem to do so well at lots of these.

I responded with info I have posted before about what I do and how I think, none of these are really secret and most of the tips are all consolidated in this reply so I will post them here in an effort to help the next guy out if they want to try them.
Hope it helps if you choose to try my way of hunting and helps you find some of those great targets that seem to like to hide from us so well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Question... Do you hunt certain BB courts over others?

Meaning, how do you chose the ones to hunt with the gold? Out of the twenty BB courts within a few miles of all of our houses,...Does the neighborhood matter or not? Do you choose the ones with night lighting for the night games over ones without it? Do you take a quick look in the trash can to see what kind of people frequent this place? Or, do you fire up and know fairly fast based upon what you immediately find or observe as to the "theres gotta be a pony in here somewhere" assessment? You find waaay too much for just blind luck to have a high percent of involvement, therefore, I figure you have some really cool mental sequence you go through...share if you want.
Mud

I tell ya mud it is mostly just logic with some common sense, a little luck and a lot of patience and work thrown in the mix.
Not all of these are great sites.
I have tons of parks all around my area and lots of them have these courts running from large to small in them and in the last year or so I have concentrated on hunting between one and 2 dozen of these courts.
It started last August when I found 3 gold rings at one such site on 2 successive hunts and when that kind of thing happens it imprints on my brain and gets right down into my DNA so that site type moves to the top of the list as a favorite.

Fist gold ring find...
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=124694

2 rings in one day on the very next hunt...
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=125006

It is now at the point when I go to a new park that I haven't hunted before and see a basketball court I start to drool a little just dreaming of what I might find.
When I find a large court in an older park like this one I am thinking I should keep a box of Depends in the car because often other things happen besides the drooling stuff.
I also go back to sites over and over because to do this right on just one trip you can't possibly hit or attempt to scan every square inch you can to find these kind of great targets.
I have several real close to me that I have been to over and over but as the picking as gotten slim I am now increasing my range and going out further when I get the chance to find fresh sites.
This site and another park near it where I found a 14k white gold bracelet is about 20 miles away from home, a little further out of my usual range but well worth spending the gas money to get there when you can have hunts like these.
Luckily, even if these courts don't have a lot of good jewelry around them they all usually have plenty of clad which helps with the gas prices being what they are.

You want an insight to my thinking process so I will tell you what I know.
I read a post from Tabdog awhile ago where he stated that when he turned into a jewelry hunter he targeted tot lots in all kinds of neighborhoods but especially the poorer ones that seemed to have a higher percentage of better bling which stuck in my mind.
I have also read a few other post from other hunters that mentioned this, also.
I know that you can find jewelry anywhere, and some of these courts where I have found gold have been in pretty good neighborhoods, but when I began hunting some in some older areas that were poorer or at least more blue collar, my better finds increased in volume so there might be something to this.

Next, I usually use the F2 at most new sites I hunt because as much as I love hunting with my Tesoros I really want to get a good idea on what kind of trash is predominate at these sites and those numbers on the screen do help a little in this area.
This site had a ton of large screw on large mouth beer caps which come in at around the 67-68 numbers on the F2, for instance.
I have dug a few silver rings in the past at that 68 number, too, and I eventually will dig all the solid hits on return trips to these sites but when I get tired near the end of some long hunts I will start skipping some of these knowing I will be back to dig them on future hunts and I have a little more confidence I am not passing up something great and the "what ifs" won't bother me as much..
Also I like to know what the tab numbers are at these sites for the same reason because I have found they actually do come in at slightly different numbers at different parks for some reason.
Again, I will return to dig all these signals eventually but I will start skipping some of these when I get tired.
Eventually I will clear out lots of these trash signals with the F2 and return with my Vaq or the Compadre when the site is a lot cleaner and easier to deal with.

The next thing I look for is how much trash is around these courts.
The more trash the better I like it for a couple of reasons.
Tons of trash in sites like these is an indication of an old site and/or a popular well used site or both.
So many hunters will avoid sites where you have trash signals every few inches because they don't feel like doing all the work...but I have been a dig it all hunter for awhile and I don't mind doing it at all.
This is a volume business as far as I am concerned, the more you dig, good and bad signals, the better treasure you will find and this is just the right way in my mind to do this hobby...for me.

When hunting these trashy sites it is of utmost importance to use the smaller sniper coils and is another reason I love these super trashy sites because even if some hunters have attempted to hit these in the past most of them in my area don't seem to think about using them.
I learned my lesson about masking and it really hit home when I finally mounted my 4" sniper on my F2 and went back to some of my previous sites and found so many more good targets I missed with the larger coils I was shocked.
Masking is a huge problem when you have so much trash so close together and because I tend to gravitate towards these type of sites the smaller coils have become my favorites and I use them over 90% of the time nowadays.
That park where I found those 3 gold rings last August I know for sure were hunted by others but not with snipers and they missed those 3 gold rings every time.
The snipers enable me to single out pretty much each and every signal no matter how close to trash each one is, and that is something you need when you hunt and dig like I do.

Digging the trash.
This is where that patience and hard work I mentioned above comes in.
Ya just gotta dig it all and here is why.
As I mentioned masking is a big problem.
Many gold rings I have found in the past were in the same hole as some foil or a tab or a pop top and I have been surprised when something else was found in that hole besides the trash...mostly golden targets.
The biggest reason to dig the trash, however is because most of my greatest finds were actually 100% trash signals and just about every one was a great and wonderful surprise when I bent down to dig some trash and came up with something else much better, instead.
I find lots of chains all over the place but especially around these courts and chains are weird and never come up as what you expect them to be...silver or gold.
I have dug really thin chains, (or clasps on these chains), at iron, some bigger ones at foil, still bigger at nickel and tabs and even a large thick silver bracelet at zinc.
When we are talking about gold rings I have dug 16 of those so far and every one was usually a died-in-the-wool trash signal like the white gold one I found on this recent hunt.
This was a ketchup packet/sport drink cap insert foil signal every way but Sunday...except that it really wasn't.
The greatest find of my career was a white gold wedding ring with 9 diamonds found next to one court that was a 32 on the F2...exactly the same as several sta-tabs I had dug that day in this park.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=138870

Maybe if I had something like an E-Trac those extra conductive numbers might help in these situations but even so I have been surprised enough times that I have learned not to trust anything I see on a screen.
If it is a solid target I am going to dig it and as you can see the volume of my good finds that just works out great for me.
I also do this hobby for the exercise as much as the treasure so digging all that trash has other benefits besides besides the very nice surprises I get from time to time.

Finally you have to go back to these sites, go very slow to acquire every target you can, overlap heavily to find every target humanly possible and then do it all again from different angles.
Many times I will hit these court sites the first time running around the perimeters digging every solid signal I come across but when I return and change directions 90 degrees going straight out away from the court instead I have found a bunch more coins and targets I missed even though I tried to be as thorough as possible that first time through.
Again, I have been shocked at how much more you can find by simply changing your angle of attack at most sites.
That pic you see below I just put together of some of the best targets I have found around basketball courts has a good example of this.
That large Eisenhower dollar you see was near a court and I scanned that area with a larger 10" coil on the F2 and sniper coil another time and missed it both times which might be due to the fact that it was standing straight up on edge in the soil.
When I returned a third time and went over the same area from a different angle then the first two, this thing rang out loud and clear and I was amazed that I missed it and that others did too.
North, south, east, west and at least two different directions diagonally is the correct way to eventually do sites like this, or any site for that matter.
Sure it's work, and so is digging all that trash, but even though I don't think it is humanly possible to hit every square inch of any site and there are absolutely no sites on this planet that can be truly be called "hunted out", you sure can give it the old college try and try to do it to the best of your ability as possible.

Those are my secrets, and you can apply them to another favorite site I like to hunt which would be areas around picnic pavilions.
These are another type of area where I love to see tons of trash and where I have found more than my share of coins, chains and silver and gold rings using these techniques.

Like I said, all kind of common sense to me, and I do all of these things this way because I have read of so many other successful hunters that have posted this is what they do.
You are always learning in this hobby, as in life, and when somebody does something that works I tend to listen.

Hope this all helps.
HH

Attachments

• BEST BASKETBALL COURT FINDS.jpg
    BEST BASKETBALL COURT FINDS.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 2,434
Thank you Digger. I am currently educating myself in the ways of the terrestrial jewelry hunter with my F5 and your post has helped a great deal.

Great post and it does make a lot of sense. Like anything else, time a little work = rewards. I agree with you that no site can ever be called "hunted out". There is so much in the ground that there is no way that one could ever get it all. I too find it interesting at how an object buried at certain angle or being a certain shape or whatever can only be found at a certain direction with the machine. Great points that you brought up and I am sure many will benefit :cool:.

Thank you Digger. I am currently educating myself in the ways of the terrestrial jewelry hunter with my F5 and your post has helped a great deal.

Anytime.
According to Mike Hillis over on Findmall who is a guru with the F5 among other detectors, that F5 is a beast when it comes to hunting anything but especially jewelry.

Sven put all of Mike's tips together in an F5 bible and here is a link if you don't already know about it.
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?37,1896749

Another great , educational post Digger! Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I have learned so much from you this past year since I started detecting. Tomorrow morning, me, the F2, and the sniper coil will be at the basketball courts!

Another very inspiring post my friend!

Can I ask a quick Compadre question on this thread?- In my air/bury tests, a small gold ring comes in with the dial pointing at the 'O' in foil. Now on a clean lot I start in A/M... but when time is crunching I discrim out the iron. Is there any reason to discrim much to the left of my 'O' ?

You mentioned Tabdog. Have you heard from him lately? I was concerned about him-the last I heard he was out with his hunting pals from his club. Thanks.

Another very inspiring post my friend!

Can I ask a quick Compadre question on this thread?- In my air/bury tests, a small gold ring comes in with the dial pointing at the 'O' in foil. Now on a clean lot I start in A/M... but when time is crunching I discrim out the iron. Is there any reason to discrim much to the left of my 'O' ?

Here is one.
At the "R" in iron the tiny clasp was there...at the "O" it was gone.

P1020244.jpg

This one is so small it is invisible past iron, too.
As a matter of fact, only AM will pick this really small clasp up clearly and at a few inches in depth.

chain goldsm.jpg

Other small chains and some tiny targets like gold studs will be below that foil setting, also.

This gold ring is not huge and it fades out past the L in foil.
Found it in Jan. hunting next to a trashy picnic pavilion with the Compadre and the knob just below the F in foil.

small gold.jpg

These small lower end targets are rare but they are out there so just do what feels comfortable to you.
Everyone's trash target digging threshold level is different, but the more trash you dig the more quality treasure you might find because most of my greatest targets have been disguised as something else and usually some sort of trash.
In tot lots I usually hunt in AM to clean out all the little sharp bits of iron to protect the kiddies, but also because you can find the smallest targets the deepest on that setting.
You don't lose much depth as you move the knob up, but you will lose some.

Most times I hunt in AM or just below the i in iron to acquire the most and clearest signals and then thumb that knob on past the fade out point and then down on every target to figure them out, but sometimes when I am tired or at a real trashy site I will move the knob up to just below the F in foil because I can find most small gold rings and all but the tiniest silver and gold chains from there on up.
Just below the F in foil is usually as high as I will go when I use the Compadre unless I am real tired and on the way back to the truck at the end of the hunt where I will turn that knob to 3:00 in case I come across any "Hail Mary" silver or large gold ring signals on my trek back before I turn off my machine.
That's also very rare, but it has happened to me in the past.

This might help to give you an idea on the gold stuff when using the Compadre.

Attachments

• P1030387.jpg
    P1030387.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 2,155
  • P1030378.jpg
    P1030378.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 2,173
  • P1030382.jpg
    P1030382.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 2,185
You mentioned Tabdog. Have you heard from him lately? I was concerned about him-the last I heard he was out with his hunting pals from his club. Thanks.

The last thing I read months ago was from KingTotsalot who lives near him and said he is doing okay, but just doesn't have a ton of money to have internet service.

Hope he's doing good, so many of us have learned so much from this inspiring legend.

Wow

That is the longest post I ever read.
And I did read every word.
Might print it out too.

Time to get a sniper coil, our fair city has 15-20 parks with BB courts.
...and lots of trash

Not going to quote those pics/target IDs, but that is some of the most interesting and helpful info available, I (and we) thank you greatly!

My next purchase will be-

Kneepads! :yes::yes::yes: (looks like I will be digging more!)

Oh btw, the two man's (men's?) (mens'?) rings with the black stones look almost identical, the sides seem slightly different. What is the story with those?

Not going to quote those pics/target IDs, but that is some of the most interesting and helpful info available, I (and we) thank you greatly!

My next purchase will be-

Kneepads! :yes::yes::yes: (looks like I will be digging more!)

Oh btw, the two man's (men's?) (mens'?) rings with the black stones look almost identical, the sides seem slightly different. What is the story with those?

One was a large 1973 class ring from a local high school that I found in a park behind a bathroom that was near a picnic area with my Compadre.
No picnic tables here, but after hunting this site a few times and finding several scout neck slides and some girls scout stuff, I figured this was an area used by scouts and this ring was probably lost by a scout leader sometime in the past.
I tracked down the # of the owner in about 20 minutes on the internet and called him over and over for months but never any answer and no way to leave a message.
I left a message with one of my e-mail addresses on the main lost ring site that had posted about a lost ring from this year and school but never had any action from that, either.
The other ring was found at a completely different park next to a picnic pavilion and it is the same exact ring from the exact same school only one year earlier from 1972, even bigger than the first one and found with my Vaquero.
I do remember this was a zinc signal on the Vaq and it was not a normal zinc sound.
It sounded extra sweet, rang true as a high quality bell and was so different than normal it stopped me in my tracks when I heard it.
The initials were either worn off or never inscribed, and I was burned badly on my first class ring return and miffed about being ignored on that second one so I am just keeping both of these and will cash them in eventually.

Attachments

• P1020775.jpg
    P1020775.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 2,099
One was a large 1973 class ring from a local high school that I found in a park behind a bathroom that was near a picnic area with my Compadre.
The other ring was found at a completely different park next to a picnic pavilion and it is the same exact ring from the exact same school only one year earlier from 1972, even bigger than the first one and found with my Vaquero.

Wow great story, your eyes must have got big when you found the second one, maybe for a brief second thought that you had dropped or lost your first one?!

Wow great story, your eyes must have got big when you found the second one, maybe for a brief second thought that you had dropped or lost your first one?!

After finding these two, and then my recent finds of two very similar gold rings, I was thinking about changing my handle from Digger27 to DoubleDave.

Nah...
I don't think I would enjoy staying up all night baking pies an then hauling them all to Fed Ex to ship them overnight to Rudy as a bribe to change it for me. :D

Great job digger27

Thanks again for sharing the knowledge, I know it has helped me a lot and I agree 110% with having to dig it all at trashy site's because most of my "good" find's have had can slaw in them and my little saying is " The Silver lives under the trash " I don't know if you have had any experience with the 11'' DD but I can get right up against metal poles and even underpinning on mobile homes as long as I am facing the object with the front of the coil! I seem to find more and deeper object's when me and my buddy head over to the park around the playground because he just has the consentric coils that come with the F-2 and so he run's the 4'' around the playground sometimes the 8'' if he can and I can cover the same ground with the 11'' DD. I went on that beach hunt I ask you for some tip's about and ran the 11'' DD at full sensitivity with no discrimination and never had a problem not even in the water, I hear about guy's saying they can't use there F-2 on wet beaches but I was at a fresh water beach so I'm guessing the salt water minerals could have a totally different effect on it but thanks for the tip's!! It was already hunted clean, Didn't find much but bobbi pens, They all rang up as 8-Iron.

Back
Top Bottom