Question regarding home owner claims to found items

Ryan852

I have read the code of ethics and always want to represent the hobby properly. However, what would you more seasoned detectors do if you obtained permission to detect a private property and the home owner wishes to lay claim to the items found on the property? I would assume that all this would be hashed out before any detecting begins. Also I would assume that showing the home owner what was found would also be considered good manners as well.

I always just saying the following canned line:

"You're welcome to anything I find".

And I HAVE YET to ever have some homeowner every actually lay claim to everything I've found. They usually just say "keep it" after I show them a handful of grubby coins and pulltabs. But on the other hand, I don't know if their reaction would be different if I showed them bars of gold. I wish that was a dilemma I had though, doh !

Details such as the ones you described above shoulda been made and agreed upon before your first swing. That's what I do

I am not sure by your post if this is a real dilemma or a hypothetical situation.

Assuming it is hypothetical: If you were searching, on behalf of the homeowner for a specific item, that's theirs.
Any other items are revealed as a courtesy, but if shallow & personal in nature, i.e. a ring, jewelry, keys, etc. that also should likely be voluntarily surrendered.
Other incidental finds, deep old coins, etc. UNLESS you are being PAID! (not reward, wages) should be yours, but it's not worth a fight.

If he wants everything offer to let them pay an hourly rate plus expenses (fuel & drive time). They will usually concede the modest amount of coins & artifacts is not worth wages.

ALWAYS better to understand this up front

If you were hunting Game on his property, would he demand the meat you killed, dressed & had butchered, packed and frozen?

I hope this helps

If the owner demanded the finds I would probably give them to them and leave. Whatever...

Usually that is decided before detecting though...

I look at like this, it's still the homeowner's property, until he sees it, are releases ownership to you. You approached him to hunt his property, what's in it for him? Share the experience, a silver dime melts for what, a dollar? You may not find much, or anything of value, no guaranties. If the homeowner want's some of the stuff or all, I'd be happy with photos. If you are finding good stuff, you might want to return, or he has neighbors, with property of similar age and history. It's in your best interest to leave the homeowner with a smile and good memories to share with his family and friends. Helps open more opportunities. Might suck sometimes, but if somebody is generous enough to let you dig up his yard, just for fun, he isn't likely to be that tight about wanting anything you find. We are all taught (conditioned) that anything on the ground, or dirty, is bad. Most people will look, but not want to touch. I don't clean anything much while out hunting anyway, just enough to identify what it might be, leave the details for later.

At the very least, you had fun, and will walk away with more than you started with. Most of the stuff we find is of little interest or value to most people. You can buy nice, clean shiny silver coins in many places, not to expensive either, it's just more fun for us finding them.

I think if I ever find anything good on someone else property I would hide it in my shoe or something!! :laughing: I'm like a pirate...Its mine!!!! :laughing:

I dont remove anything without the land owners permission.

Also when you find something dont get your feelings hurt if you get the quick uninvite. Look, most folks dont have a clue. They see a few shows on TV and we are a bunch of bouncing giggling idiots finding million dollar gold coins. The reality is you need to hunt a spot for a long time to glean the trash and get to the goodies. Not that you wont find a few keeper, just let them know to expect a lot of green trash.

I think if I ever find anything good on someone else property I would hide it in my shoe or something!! :laughing: I'm like a pirate...Its mine!!!! :laughing:

^This. Most people think we're lunatics thinking we're gonna find gold bars or bums hunting booze money. I'd say 75% of my door knock permissions think I'm crazy and don't want to upset me by saying no to me...:laughing: I usually pull out my handful of clad and whatnot and tell them if they want any of it they're welcome to it. They almost always move back because of the dirt and sweat involved. I never suggest making a deal for finds unless they do first and then it's "If I come across anything worth a lot I'll split it with you." If they mention a particular lost item I'll return it. If they get all greedy and tell me they want to keep whatever I find I'll just go on to the next door. There's millions of yards out there to hunt and I'm not spending 6 hours in the sun to give them my Merc!:lol:

I am not sure by your post if this is a real dilemma or a hypothetical situation.

Assuming it is hypothetical: If you were searching, on behalf of the homeowner for a specific item, that's theirs.
Any other items are revealed as a courtesy, but if shallow & personal in nature, i.e. a ring, jewelry, keys, etc. that also should likely be voluntarily surrendered.
Other incidental finds, deep old coins, etc. UNLESS you are being PAID! (not reward, wages) should be yours, but it's not worth a fight.

If he wants everything offer to let them pay an hourly rate plus expenses (fuel & drive time). They will usually concede the modest amount of coins & artifacts is not worth wages.

ALWAYS better to understand this up front

If you were hunting Game on his property, would he demand the meat you killed, dressed & had butchered, packed and frozen?

I hope this helps

"If you were hunting Game on his property, would he demand the meat you killed, dressed & had butchered, packed and frozen?"

In many areas, it is customary and recommended you offer the landowner some of the kill, as a show of appreciation for the opportunity you were provided.

Did the hunter ask for permission to hunt, or did the land owner seek hunters to hunt his property?

Huge difference.

"If you were hunting Game on his property, would he demand the meat you killed, dressed & had butchered, packed and frozen?"

In many areas, it is customary and recommended you offer the landowner some of the kill, as a show of appreciation for the opportunity you were provided.

Did the hunter ask for permission to hunt, or did the land owner seek hunters to hunt his property?

Huge difference.

I did not make my example clear - ALL the meat, as you sit for days stalking, then the owner wants all you worked for. I have no issue offering to share, just do not expect someone to put forth that type of skill & effort & expect them to give everything they did up.
Then sometimes, there is no Game, thus no reward.

what would you more seasoned detectors do if you obtained permission to detect a private property and the home owner wishes to lay claim to the items found on the property?

Personally, Id pass on that property and work on getting another permission or just move to another spot.

I wouldn't hunt a property on those terms. The most I would agree to was if they lost something and knew about where before I started swinging, I would try and retrieve it for them. The can have that because it was theirs and they knew it.

While I enjoy hunting for stuff, if I knew I was not going to get anything for it...nope, I'm gone. It's up to chance whether I grab any finds or not, not the homeowner. They're not a charity I'm donating to, and my detector wasn't free and neither is my time.

I look at like this, it's still the homeowner's property, until he sees it, are releases ownership to you. You approached him to hunt his property, what's in it for him? Share the experience, a silver dime melts for what, a dollar? You may not find much, or anything of value, no guaranties. If the homeowner want's some of the stuff or all, I'd be happy with photos. If you are finding good stuff, you might want to return, or he has neighbors, with property of similar age and history. It's in your best interest to leave the homeowner with a smile and good memories to share with his family and friends. Helps open more opportunities. Might suck sometimes, but if somebody is generous enough to let you dig up his yard, just for fun, he isn't likely to be that tight about wanting anything you find. We are all taught (conditioned) that anything on the ground, or dirty, is bad. Most people will look, but not want to touch. I don't clean anything much while out hunting anyway, just enough to identify what it might be, leave the details for later.

At the very least, you had fun, and will walk away with more than you started with. Most of the stuff we find is of little interest or value to most people. You can buy nice, clean shiny silver coins in many places, not to expensive either, it's just more fun for us finding them.

Well said +1

Thank you all very much. Yes this was a hypothetical situation but it confirms what i was thinking. Best to reach an agreement that both parties are happy with and always have a positive relationship with the home owner. I was going to speak to a few farmers in my area and was just wondering about that specific situation. Thank you all for your time!

.... I was going to speak to a few farmers in my area and was just wondering ....

A word of caution: I would only bring up "splits" and "contracts" and all-such legal stuff, only if they bring it up. Otherwise, keep it casual and handshake type status.

Because otherwise, all you'll do is bring up images of wealth, valuables, legal hassles, etc... And can be the ticket to a "no". And can serve to "hype up" your potential in their mind's eyes. And if all you do is find a merc and a V-nickel (or nothing valuable at all), you end up looking a little silly for all the talk and precautions. And the homeowner thinks: "Gee, what was that all about?" :?:

So unless you're commissioned, or have some reason to suspect a big ticket item, then keep it simple.

Agree. Outstanding post.

My business card states that anything I find which has a clearly stated value, e.g., clad and other coinage is mine.
Anything with a remarkable value, but cannot be linked to a person, place or event, e.g., a plain gold ring with a setting which appears to be a precious stone, will be appraised and, if the property owner wants it, they pay me half the appraised value, if they don't want it, I can keep it and give them half the appraised value.
Anything I find which can be linked to a person, place or event, and has any apparent value, unquestionably belongs to the property owner unless they specifically relinquish possession to me.
Sadly, in the tree years I've been using this formula I haven't had the opportunity to exercise either of the last two.

AT Pro/GPP-AT/Fiskars Diggers

Back
Top Bottom