scoop question for freshwater hunters

Dflan83

Elite Member
Hey everyone I am primarily a land hunter but the season is soon upon us to where it will be too hot to hunt and I want to try my ctx in some freshwater lakes and rivers around me. Right now I have one of those RTG Pro aluminum scoops that seems ok but I am not sure of its durability.

I have been looking at the stealth series of scoops and the price can go up really fast. priced with a carbon fiber handle these things can go upwards of 400$

Are they worth it at that price? Should I just hang onto my RTG

I have two Stealths with carbon fiber handles. Personally I think they are worth it.

I just turned 60. I am a 100% rated disabled veteran. I have major problems with my neck and left knee. When I dive the weight is off both and I am very comfortable in the water. In fact I wish I could grow gills and still find gold.

When I have to wade, having the lightest equipment is the best thing for me. I can carry that Stealth around for a long time and with my CZ-21 on a weight belt on my side my detector is light also.

If you are in your 20's with perfect health, you might not think the price is worth it now. However when you get older you might feel the the benefits of having the lightest and best.

This is only for you to decide. How is your health and your stamina? That should answer your question if the Stealth is worth the price.

I have a stealth scoop and It is definitely a tank. However The carbon fiber only give you strength and less weight. If you put a fiberglass handle on there it will weigh less then wood it wont be as strong as the carbon fiber but the weight shouldnt be much more, also you can just get a rake handle at a local hardware store and cut the end off. The main problem you might find with your freshwater lakes is the river rock bottom that a lot of lakes have. A couple of big stones in a aluminum scoop can make you wish you had the stainless steel.

I am in my early 30's decent shape but if this scoop will last me a long time I don't mind paying for it as I believe in you get what you pay for.

Stealths are HEAVY
get a ukrain scoop off e-bay for $80.00
and a carbon fiber for $188.00=268.00
total weight is 2 lbs 4oz:wow:

Get the stealth with CF handle. You won't regret it. In addition to being lighter and stronger than wood, it's also longer which I find is particularly useful if you're over 6' tall like me.

Stealths are HEAVY
get a ukrain scoop off e-bay for $80.00
and a carbon fiber for $188.00=268.00
total weight is 2 lbs 4oz:wow:

Don't listen to the guy above me saying the stealth is heavy. It's not heavy unless you have girly noodle arms. :roll: This is just bad advice. When this Ukraine scoop breaks, good luck getting a replacement, especially in a timely manner.

I may give the 920 a shot next since I beat the ever living piss out of my 720. (it's still going strong though)

You get what you pay for. Ditch that RTG junk and get a quality scoop that will last. Plus the stealth has a lifetime warranty.

I have the stealth 920 IX and love it. Built like a tank, and not heavy at all. Also comes with a lifetime warranty. Do not have the carbon fiber handle. I also had the T Rex that was a bit heavy. Buy the Stealth you will not be sorry. All so let me know how you make out in the water. As I have had problems with my CTX. Some say that the CTX water program is set up for salt water.

Either way, you're going to find gold or you aren't...

If you're actually in a good enough area, your RTG should work long enough to buy a few stealths...

My RTG scooped up over $10,000.00 in gold before I had to fix it...

Make your RTG buy your stealth...

I've used plenty of versions of the stealth and I don't personally like it.. Too big, too much edge to push into the clay and rocks...

<°)))>{

The scoop should last you for ever. They do have a lifetime warranty.

You absolutely wont find a better warranty or people to back it up.

The price, you have to decide for yourself what you want to spend. Personally, I'm a BuyOnce-CryOnce kind of person.

I have used Starvr scoops for the past 5 year....could not be happier with the durability and performance.

Thanks for all the replies. I will most likely end up getting the stealth not quite sure which size yet maybe the 720 but there is not much difference pricewise between the two

I have been beating the daylights out of 2 Stealth classic 8 scoops for the past 5 years and I have broken, worn out one wood and 2 fiberglass scoop handles.
The scoops themselves are still good to go.

You just can't go wrong with Stealth scoops they are fantastic. :cool:

RS11.jpg

scoopshotrs.jpg

I love my stealth 720. I never have any regrets about buying it. I also love the fact that its made in America. no need to support jobs overseas.

I just cant decide between the 720 or 920

help me decide. I figured if im going to be paying ~250$ for the steel I might as well go all in for the carbon fiber shaft too

I just cant decide between the 720 or 920

help me decide. I figured if im going to be paying ~250$ for the steel I might as well go all in for the carbon fiber shaft too

I would love to get a 790 but my main scoops are no where near worn out.
I prefer 90 degree scoops. :yes:

Back
Top Bottom