silver coin dates

glenny

I am looking for the dates the mint stopped using silver in their coins (dime, nickel, quarter), and is there anything different about the WWII coins?? I found a 1945 nickel last weekend. I was curious as if they change the metal content for the war effort or not. :?:

After 65 was clad except for the JFK half that had some silver for a few more years. the nickel for about 3 years I think, 42-45, had silver instead of nickel. They usually come out of the ground looking pretty good and I remember you could tell them when you got one in change. Love finding that silver but it has been a long dry spell so far on silver for me. One day soon :grin:
pop

glenny said:
thanks for the info, trying to clean the nickel right now to see the mint mark, wish me luck :grin:

glenny, the date on a war nickle is on the rear above the building. It's a big ole letter to.

My last two silver finds have been war nickles....... Need more silver!!!!

scott

Thanks for the info, and yes, silver is always needed, but I must confess that I actually found this one sitting on top of the ground while mding. They are tearing down old bleachers at a football field and I guess the truck or tractor unearth it for me :P but still it had a lot of junk on it, almost like a dried petroleum based coating on it. The ammonia is working on it but very slowly. Any suggestions???

Here is a general guide as to silver coin years:

Quarters and dimes: anything dated 1964 or earlier (90% silver)
Nickels: 1941-1945 only (40% silver content)
Half Dollars: 1964 and earlier (90% silver), 1965-1970 (40% silver)

There are some silver coins dated after 1964, but they were mostly sold only as parts of mint sets to collectors.

As for cleaning the nickel, if it's really that bad that you feel you need to clean it, try electrolysis. That should remove all or most of the crud. See the great article on electrolysis that Carol and Vlad did on the main page to the site.

Good luck!!

I am so glade that this site is here. So much info. at one spot. It's like an MDers heaven. Thank you all for all your help and willingness to share with us less experienced than you master detectors :D thanks you again

glenn

Yes, this forum has valuable information

I have to agree BUT it was much better BEFORE the crash or whatever caused all the messages to dissappear. Hope all the old messages can be recovered.

Tom

glenny said:
I am so glade that this site is here. So much info. at one spot. It's like an MDers heaven. Thank you all for all your help and willingness to share with us less experienced than you master detectors :D thanks you again

glenn

My grandmother starting saving silver coins in the 60 when the government as pulling them. From that collection I have about $30 in silver coins, but still look forward to what I can find on my own.

What I would really like to find is just one GOLD coin. :!:

Back
Top Bottom