Relics/Ring from an old mining town

Goondock

I got to detect an old mining town on private property over the weekend. I only managed one coin, a 1924 wheat penny. I did dig some cool to me relics. An iron meat tenderizer, spoon, fork, button, snaps, key and clasp/suspender clip with a patent date of 1886. My two favorite finds were a ring and small safe door. The ring has a stone in it. I'm not sure if its a diamond or glass. The ring also has no markings in it as far as I can tell. I'm going to clean it up carefully. The small safe door says "Royal Safe Deposit". I just wish I could have found the loot that may have been in it. Thanks for looking, GL and HH.

Attachments

• 20170717_113713_resized.jpg
    20170717_113713_resized.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 335
  • 20170717_113727_resized.jpg
    20170717_113727_resized.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 276
  • 20170717_113819_resized.jpg
    20170717_113819_resized.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 266
That's a great haul! The "Royal Safe Deposit" door came off an old coin bank. There are several photos online if you Google the name.

Coins are most guys bread and butter but it's hard to beat hunting old settlements and never knowing what will be found! Congrats on some fine relics!

I know that some hunters would *bristle* at getting "only a '20s wheatie". But personally I'd rather find a single period wheatie out a ghost town, than choice silver or IH's from an inner-city urban park. Just the challenge and thrill of history is so much more cool in ghost town sites.

And same for the relicky "woulda-coulda's" there: rimfire shells, lantern parts, etc.... are all so cool. If those are the only things I find from a long-day of ghost-towning, I'm happy at that. Because as you know: So long as there's still conductive targets in those range, then a period coin could still be lurking. Good pix !

Dang cool finds, liking the ring and the safe deposit box front - need to go back and find the box of morgans or was it gold? Hmmmm :lol:

That's a great haul! The "Royal Safe Deposit" door came off an old coin bank. There are several photos online if you Google the name.
Thanks, I did and like it even more now!
North☆Star;2805086 said:
Coins are most guys bread and butter but it's hard to beat hunting old settlements and never knowing what will be found! Congrats on some fine relics!
Thanks!
I know that some hunters would *bristle* at getting "only a '20s wheatie". But personally I'd rather find a single period wheatie out a ghost town, than choice silver or IH's from an inner-city urban park. Just the challenge and thrill of history is so much more cool in ghost town sites.

And same for the relicky "woulda-coulda's" there: rimfire shells, lantern parts, etc.... are all so cool. If those are the only things I find from a long-day of ghost-towning, I'm happy at that. Because as you know: So long as there's still conductive targets in those range, then a period coin could still be lurking. Good pix !
Thanks Tom, I like wheaties and the old relics. It was a great time.
Dang cool finds, liking the ring and the safe deposit box front - need to go back and find the box of morgans or was it gold? Hmmmm :lol:
Thanks, I will definately be back to try and find the loot!

Fully agree. Nothing like hunting the old 1800's locations. So much variety......

Back
Top Bottom