Condensing Threads In Classifieds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bandwith would not be a huge issue. It could be set up so they use their own hosted pics from photobucket and the like.

I don't think the site would expand any from the addition. As long as people contribute, talk about detecting, coins, and help each others out.

It would not be an alternative to eBay. It would still be metal detectors, coins, accessories, gold, silver, etc.

I think almost everyone here has an interest in detecting. I don't see people singing up just to sell. 30 Days and 100 posts (which maybe should be raised to 150), is too much of a hassle for someone just singing up to sell their stuff.

I could see it as this:

A member has the option to buy it. The forum would not handle ANY part of the payment, just like it's done now. If people do paypal they send the money, or they send a money order, etc.

Or they could click another button and make an offer.

It would not all have to be hand made, their are codes for such sites that "come in a box". Me and a friend actually set up an auction website, and it was very easy to do.

Of course, some kind of limitation would be implemented to keep people from going wild....I'm thinking maybe 5 items per week. If someone clicks BUY, the listing is automatically pulled, making much less work for the mods.

It's not hard to do, it's not like back in the old days where all of the html had to be hand coded, free scripts exist, of course a little modification might have to be done to tailor it to the forum's specifics, but still, easy.

Everything can be put on a backup. We could easily try it out. Never hurts to try something. If it becomes a problem, or gets out of control, then it can be switched back. It's not permanent.

This would also:
-Solve the problem of thread bumping, and RUDE replies (which seems to be a problem for a few on here). Members would not be able to comment on the listing, any kind of question or comment can be handled through the forum's private messaging function.
-Make it much easier to find stuff. Things could be split into more categories.
- Less stress for the mods. Of course they could pull a listing if it does not meet the requirements.

I am pretty sure that due to all the controversy with the current classified section, that people are too afraid to list. The increasing amount of rude or unwanted replies has risen too.

I hate to break this to you. There is no controversy with the current classified section. The controversy is with YOU!

Like I said before, start your own forum and go wild on the classified. Stop trying to change this one or I can assure you that, you'll like the changes we make even less than what you have now. Of course, we'll give you all the credit for the changes.

Good. Then you can help him set up his own forum. :ohthedrama:

So giving back to this forum in the form of $$$ to help out is a bad idea...?

I don't want to change this forum at all, I just liked the part where a percentage of sales want to support the forum. I could care less about thread bumping and that stuff, I just want to give back to a forum that gave me help when I was a newb not so long ago.

I suppose giving back is a dumb idea and the forum needs no monetary donations.

So giving back to this forum in the form of $$$ is a bad idea...?

I've been on this forum almost 3 years. I think maybe once change has been made since, and then it mysteriously went away for no reason.

This forum has looked pretty much the same since April 7th of 2007.

Yup. Almost 5 years and no major change has been done to this forum. Any idea usually gets tossed in the wastebasket along with many other ideas forum members have.

This forum also runs on a older vb software. Vb4 has been out since 2009. It also includes major improvements like live editing, which allows you to edit text without having to see the BB tags wrapped around it.

I dunno why but EVERY idea has been shot down. They act like if they change one little thing the whole forum is gonna go 404 and the server is going to spontaneously combust and every memeber's credit score will be lowered and they will catch the bubonic plague. :roll:

Seriously, what's it gonna hurt to make one change? Every forum I belong too has been completely redone and facelifted since I have been here. I've never seen people be so set in their ways.

The nicest change that could come to this forum is a like button on posts, and if not that, a like button on the site itself.

But, it may change, some year....
skeleton-computer.jpg

They are not interested in making a profit from the classifieds. Or in making your changes. Jesus. I think they said that a fifth time on this thread and the very thickest among us have a handle on it by now. -1.

And they (in solidarity) pretty plainly asked you to bugger off.

I can think of a change that would be great.

Shutting down this thread? +1.

Tim... if you don't like the way this forum is run why not find one to your liking? Have you ever heard if its no broke why fix it? Enough is enough let it go now... :mad:

I've been on this forum almost 3 years. I think maybe once change has been made since, and then it mysteriously went away for no reason.

Yup. Almost 5 years and no major change has been done to this forum. Any idea usually gets tossed in the wastebasket along with many other ideas forum members have.

This forum also runs on a older vb software. Vb4 has been out since 2009. It also includes major improvements like live editing, which allows you to edit text without having to see the BB tags wrapped around it.

I dunno why but EVERY idea has been shot down. They act like if they change one little thing the whole forum is gonna go 404 and the server is going to spontaneously combust and every memeber's credit score will be lowered and they will catch the bubonic plague. :roll:

Seriously, what's it gonna hurt to make one change? Every forum I belong too has been completely redone and facelifted since I have been here. I've never seen people be so set in their ways.

The nicest change that could come to this forum is a like button on posts, and if not that, a like button on the site itself.

skeleton-computer.jpg

I'm floored that someone who uses this site as much as you do CM would really feel that you have the right to complain about how things are run here... you say that you are on several other forums, I hope you don't try to disrupt things there as well. I have no real issues with changes providing the owners & mods ask us for our input and they decide what is best for THEIR SITE... just because you or I frequent here does not give us any more rights than a person who just joined tonight, which is the way it should be. I think you should rethink your stance on trying to get this site to be like others... if they are so much more to your liking then spend more time there..

I don't want to change this forum at all, I just liked the part where a percentage of sales want to support the forum. I could care less about thread bumping and that stuff, I just want to give back to a forum that gave me help when I was a newb not so long ago.

No its not a bad idea... that is what the donation button is for at the top of the page...

Am I the only one with the feeling that there something more to all this. The members wanted a simple way to swap some stuff, and we got it. Why is he pushing the business angle so hard? Why is it so critical to convince us to let him set up a store here? Guess that's what keeps drawing me back in to this thread. That math doesn't work out for me, and I hate leaving a mystery unsolved. Probably why I dig everything that beeps steady in at least two directions, sometimes I dig it anyway. I just got to know what's down there.

I still strongly believe that an increase in classified ads, will attract members, who are only interested in buying. Google will find the threads, and people will jump through all kinds of hoops, to get involved. Persistence usually pays off (hopefully not in this case though).

The main focus of Friendly Metal Detecting, is the hobby of finding metal. It also, gets involved in other hobbies, coins are metal, jewelry is metal. When we find it, we'd like to know what it's worth as is, and as melt. Some people want to cash in their finds, others like to collect and show off. For some of us, metal detecting, is just one of several hobbies, and we usually belong to forums that focus on those as well. I'll admit, this is the best one I belong too, most are a little too tightly focused.

Am I the only one with the feeling that there something more to all this. The members wanted a simple way to swap some stuff, and we got it. Why is he pushing the business angle so hard? Why is it so critical to convince us to let him set up a store here? Guess that's what keeps drawing me back in to this thread. That math doesn't work out for me, and I hate leaving a mystery unsolved. Probably why I dig everything that beeps steady in at least two directions, sometimes I dig it anyway. I just got to know what's down there.

I still strongly believe that an increase in classified ads, will attract members, who are only interested in buying. Google will find the threads, and people will jump through all kinds of hoops, to get involved. Persistence usually pays off (hopefully not in this case though).

The main focus of Friendly Metal Detecting, is the hobby of finding metal. It also, gets involved in other hobbies, coins are metal, jewelry is metal. When we find it, we'd like to know what it's worth as is, and as melt. Some people want to cash in their finds, others like to collect and show off. For some of us, metal detecting, is just one of several hobbies, and we usually belong to forums that focus on those as well. I'll admit, this is the best one I belong too, most are a little too tightly focused.

Not so much as drawing a business angle, its trying to find out why no one want's to change anything. Still doing some research.

I'm not asking for change, just stating some ideas I like. However it goes in one ear and out the other. Every idea that has been suggested by me and others is never even wasted a though on. I and many others would like to know why, but the question is still being ignored.

There is a donation button here..... If you feel you need to give back to the forum then donate a few dollars to the forum. I have and many others have...

Every idea that has been suggested by me and others is never even wasted a though on. I and many others would like to know why, but the question is still being ignored.
Edit/Delete Message

On the contrary, we consider every idea, and weigh the benefits vs the problems.

Seems like you're the only one that doesn't like the way the forum is setup CM.

Nobody else complains about it but you.

On the contrary, we consider every idea, and weigh the benefits vs the problems.

Seems like you're the only one that doesn't like the way the forum is setup CM.

Nobody else complains about it but you.

Not entirely true I complain about CM :laughing:

skeleton-computer.jpg

Got a sugestion for you. Why don't you implement all your great ideas on this site http://www.innovius.us/ and bug off this forum.

Oh, and stop creating more drama on this thread as your posts will be deleted. :yes:

as a new guy (and there are a LOT of us lately it seems) this thread is near the top of the new posts every time I log in

it's kinda putting a bad taste in my mouth - they same one bad apple spoils the whole bunch

I'm sure this Coin_Guru guy or whatever is just one bad apple, but the more I (we) see this bickering the less inclined I am to do any real $$$ business with anyone here, including sponsors, which is a shame since there seems to be a lot of great guys

...just a thought...

skeleton-computer.jpg

Thanks for your kind words Tim, at least you are honest...

Forum "bling" and making money is not the idea behind this forum.

You know, when ebay started it was a wonderful site with a great community, slowly it turned into the money making monster where its not about the community anymore but rather about maximizing profits.

Nothing wrong with that but its not where I want to take this forum.

Thanks for your kind words Tim, at least you are honest...

Forum "bling" and making money is not the idea behind this forum.

You know, when ebay started it was a wonderful site with a great community, slowly it turned into the money making monster where its not about the community anymore but rather about maximizing profits.

Nothing wrong with that but its not where I want to take this forum.

First Carol, now Vlad. When both forum owner's post on a non md related thread it is something serious. What is sad, 99.9% of us get it, 1 does not. With this thread nearing 100 posts and being told numerous times that his ideology for this forum is 100% opposite of what we/mods/Carol/Vlad want, there has to come a point were we all realize that he will never, NEVER "get it".

I am in law enforcement. I see these same types of people day in and day out. In the recent past, many municipal officials here in California have done just what is typical in today's day and age. They cave in to allowing people to continue to do what they want or "get their way" (see wall street protestor's). These same officials that allowed their carrying on to continue, now realize that these types of people will NEVER stop until they are in control of what the people use to control. The writing is on the wall with this guy. He wants to be the one in power and make decisions on this board. He has even admitted to that. They think it is just soooo easy to do what has made something great and that anyone can do it. I guarantee that should he be made a mod (not saying that I think this even being considered), this forum would cease to exist as it was and probably would become treasurenet 2.0 within weeks.

At some point, you have to become not just vocal with these people that continually cause controversy or rock the boat. You have to get the stick of law or rule and enforce it. Sometimes, being friendly to the 99.9% that don't rock this boat is by being done with the .1% that upsets that calm.

Sorry for the long winded post, but this guy will never get it. Nor does he care to. It is a me, me, me attitude and a very dangerous one. I applaud the mods for being WAY more patient than me, if it was me I would have shown him the walking papers LONG ago.

Greg

First Carol, now Vlad. When both forum owner's post on a non md related thread it is something serious. What is sad, 99.9% of us get it, 1 does not. With this thread nearing 100 posts and being told numerous times that his ideology for this forum is 100% opposite of what we/mods/Carol/Vlad want, there has to come a point were we all realize that he will never, NEVER "get it".

I am in law enforcement. I see these same types of people day in and day out. In the recent past, many municipal officials here in California have done just what is typical in today's day and age. They cave in to allowing people to continue to do what they want or "get their way" (see wall street protestor's). These same officials that allowed their carrying on to continue, now realize that these types of people will NEVER stop until they are in control of what the people use to control. The writing is on the wall with this guy. He wants to be the one in power and make decisions on this board. He has even admitted to that. They think it is just soooo easy to do what has made something great and that anyone can do it. I guarantee that should he be made a mod (not saying that I think this even being considered), this forum would cease to exist as it was and probably would become treasurenet 2.0 within weeks.

At some point, you have to become not just vocal with these people that continually cause controversy or rock the boat. You have to get the stick of law or rule and enforce it. Sometimes, being friendly to the 99.9% that don't rock this boat is by being done with the .1% that upsets that calm.

Sorry for the long winded post, but this guy will never get it. Nor does he care to. It is a me, me, me attitude and a very dangerous one. I applaud the mods for being WAY more patient than me, if it was me I would have shown him the walking papers LONG ago.

Greg

Controversy and boat rocking is what changes the world. If no one disagreed, we would still think the moon is made out of cheese, the earth is flat, silver bullets kill wolves, etc etc.

I learned a lot about science and technology. Many things that we use in this world today came from people disagreeing or changing something. Someone came along and said "hey try my idea". Guess what? Sometimes it works and sometimes it did not. But saying "no, we should just leave it like it is forever" seems narrow minded.

Many people have even been killed or murdered for having a different idea. Do some reading about Galileo.

However it is very narrow minded to never try new ideas or disagree with a current one.

I am NOT the only one that agrees on this. There are several people on here that agree with me, and many others do but want to keep out of it in fear of "rocking the boat".

It's not a me me me attitude. I'm not doing this for myself, I'm doing it for the good of other people.

Last edited:
It's not a me me me attitude. I'm not doing this for myself, I'm doing it for the good of other people.

What are the terms of getting Banned from this site?

You don't get it! It is all about you! No one else could care less about the classifieds. You want it there so you can make money. You admitted it already. It amazing either how you could careless what the mods/admins/AND both owners write to you. They tell you to stop, yet you continue to push the issue.

I ask this last question for most of us on the site:::

Do you even own a Metal detector?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom