Ace 250, Titan 2000, or ?

thekmancom

From all my reading tonight, I am leaning towards an Ace 250 but have also been looking at the Titan 2000. What would you guys suggest between these two. Is there one you would suggest more than either of these for a beginner? I will mostly be hunting in fields, woods, river beds and the occasional beach. I would like to keep my total purchase price around $350.00. I can't believe how hard of a decision this has been for me.

The Ace 250 would have it all over the "other one" which is not worth the material it is made of.
The Ace will be challenged on wet salt beaches.
For the price range you are considering ther are some other choices. You would be wise to deal with the dealers who support this forum, and not the one who advertises a lot of "hype".

The Ace or a  prizm  is  the choice here  not  the other.  Those are decent start up  machines.  You can't  go wrong. Also  they are easier to  resell if and when  you become addicted and  have a pressing need  to  move up to a bigger, better, meaner, more powerful, etc etc  machine. :yes:  Gil..........Oh yeah, welcome aboard

Re: Ace 250, Prism lll, or ?

Thanks for the reply. I have done more research and have knocked the Titan off my list. What about the Ace 250 or the Prism lll. I have seen a Prism lll at a local Hobby Town USA for $294.00. Is that a good price or would I be better off with the Ace 250? If I do go with the Ace 250 would you recommend going with the "Pro" version with the two coils or just still with the basic one coil to get started?

The Ace 250 at around $200, can't be beat. It has many features the higher end detectors have at 1/2 the cost. They say pinpointing can be a little tricky, but there are several posts here to help.

If it was me, I'd skip the extra coil for now. I say you can always get it later after you are getting the hang of things.

Welcome and gl.

I have never used the Ace 250 but I have used a Titan 2000 it has no built in pinponter and the target ID bounces around a lot even on shallow targets. I don't know if they are all like this but the deepest part of the coil on the one I was using was about 2 inches in front of the shaft and one inch left of the shaft. That made it very tricky for my friend who was learning how to use it. I know he took it to the beach and he told me it went crazy on the wet sand, he had to turn it down to the lowest sensitivity to use.

If an ID meter is important to you then go with the 250. If not I would like to suggest the Tesoro Cibola. Better than the Ace 250 ad Prizm III but no ID meter. Also , the Prizm III is the same as a PrizmII but adds a depth meter for 100.00 more. Not worth it in my book. Let me know if you need anyhting else and check out my site fro more info. :yes:

Tony thanks for responding. I am a very visual person and like my digital readouts so I think the Cibola would frustrate me. I just visited a Hobby Town USA here locally and looked at the Prism III and IV and was not overly impressed with the feeling of the detector and not at all impressed by the people working at the store. I think I already know more about detectors than they do and I just started my research a week or so ago. I am pretty sure I am going to go ahead and go with the Ace 250. I was looking at your site, can you email me information on on used equipment you have on the lower price items. I would actually like to buy a new Ace 250 and would love to be able to also by my 10 year old son a decent starter detector but really want to keep the total purchase in the $350 range, so I thought maybe if you had something used would be the best way to go to get them both. I will probably drop you an email also.

Thanks Tony I look forward to contacting you tomorrow and getting both myself and my son set up with Ace detectors!

Tony, my son is really excited about getting getting his own detector along with mine. When do you think we should be expecting them to arrive?

I'm sure your son and yourself will be spending quality time together in the field, I think that is great. What you make your kids today is what they will be tomorrow. Sounds like you got a wicked good deal from Tony.
Happy to see to supported a dealer from this site that is always quick to give good advice such as Tony.

Keep us posted on your finds, it would be fun to see how you and your son are making out.

DirtDigger (New Hampshire)

Tony,

Just got a phone call here at work from a very excited 10 year old. Our Metal Detectors where just delivered to the house! Perfect timing as I am off the rest of the week and we plan on seeing what treasures we can find. We are going to start with the woods behind our house tonight. I will keep you all posted on our first finds!

Glad to see I am not the only one that makes this wonderful hobby a family thing. Good luck and watch out your son might out do ya. :grin:. Steve.

Back
Top Bottom