Newb looking for First Metal Detector primarily for Beach use

lidigger

Was logged in, just tried positing and was prompted to re-log in. So, if this comes up as a duplicate, I am sorry.

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and want to start metal detecting. This is something I've wanted to do since I was a child, (I am now 42), but have never done. I'd like a hobby that can get me out more and I enjoy the beach. Aside from surfing, I think this would be a great opportunity to get some exercise and start a new hobby.

I live on Long Island (NY) and will primarily be metal detecting along beaches since LI is so built up. I'm not sure what I want to look for yet, having fun is my main goal. Wish I lived in Europe where you could find some items from the Middle Ages, but...

Anyway, I'm not sure where to begin. I've been familiar with Whites for years, but by name only. I am just now finding out how many other manufacturers there is. So with that in mind, I turn to you for help. I've been reading the forums for ideas, but I'm sure that certain detectors are better suited for a particular purpose. In this case I need one for the beach.

Since I am starting out on a new journey, and since I have other bills and would have to justify this purchase to my wife, I am going to budget $300 for the purchase of my first metal detector. If you had to start out on beaches (for now) and only had $300, would you go new or preowned? With that in mind, which model would you look for preowned and why? And which new model should I consider for $300?

Finally, if there is another model that I should consider for an additional $100 because it is leaps and bounds better than one I can get for $300, I would consider that as well. If it is not that much better, I am best staying at that $300 mark.

Anyway, thank you in advance all for any helpful advice you can pass along. I am looking forward to this and hopefully meeting other diggers on Long Island.

I will let you all know which model I get and will update you after my first outing.

Hopefully I will see you out there.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom