Large Cent: Proper Care & Handling

Kittimuhtahs81

Hi all !

We're looking for some guidance on the best way to clean a large cent while maintaining coin grade. We're hoping to make out the date on it but also do not want to damage it. :D

Attached is a photo of the front & back of our coin.

Any guidance is very much appreciated ! :)

A&S

Attachments

• 9B10D611-2C19-4764-BE52-112520ECCD92.jpg
    9B10D611-2C19-4764-BE52-112520ECCD92.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 357
If you're looking to keep the grade, don't do anything other than a good soak and some shaking in the water. You rub it and it'll be noticed. Just my opinion, of which there are many when it comes to cleaning.

The ones I've found looked worse after using water on them. I have learned that dry brushing is the best, also using a toothpick to remove dirt. It seems you lose detail when you use water. That's my experience.

The ones I've found looked worse after using water on them. I have learned that dry brushing is the best, also using a toothpick to remove dirt. It seems you lose detail when you use water. That's my experience.

Agreed.

Ive actually found when dry the patina flakes off easier. I just soak in DISTILLED water over night changing water daily with a rinse for loose dirt, and if the patina is in good shape, every time I change the water I give very light brush with super soft tooth brush or go after it very lightly with tooth pick.

Back
Top Bottom