Please help me choose my first detector :)

Steveyb

Hello all

This is my first post so please forgive me if it is in the wrong section.

I am new to this hobby and have been inspired mainly by a love of history alongside Deep Digger Dan's video's on youtube.

To give you some background, this will be my first serious detector, I live in the UK and plan to use the detector in woodland, parks and farmers fields (with permission) , although will possibly take it to the beach once in a blue moon. I am lucky to have been given my first permission before actually having an MD (an old, large orchard in Kent ).

Originally I was drawn to the EuroAce after watching Deep Digger Dan's older video's (now he uses the AT PRO which is out of my price range at the moment) but have also realised there are at least 2 other contenders.

Having now done quite a bit of research into decent entry - mid level machines I am almost ready to buy, but would really appreciate some advice/ opinions on the three machines I have whittled it down to.

I wonder if you could help me make a decision between the three below and really appreciate any first hand experience or reasons as to why you would or wouldn't recommend one over the others. Please specify which you prefer and if one of them stands out as a better detector or 'no brainer' choice.

Garret EuroACE

Teknetics EuroTek Pro 11" coil

Whites Coinmaster Pro

Thanks very much in advance and I look forward to contributing much more to this great forum as I start my detecting hobby.

Warmest regards to all

Steve

Go Garrett, you won't be sorry!
Am I biased? you bet!
I LOVE the PRO and if you could possibly afford it now, do it:D

Of the 3 I would go with the Teknetics EuroTek Pro because it is the only one with real VDI numbers and not just icons.

I really believe the Fisher F2 should be in this list too, (love that detector!), but for some reason it isn't so go with it's cousin the Euro Tek.

Thanks for the responses so far, would definately be getting the AT PRO if I could justify the price but I'm also buying a pro pointer, coil cover and digging tool so need funds for these other bits right now.

Sounds like i'm getting ahead of myself but my long term plan is to upgrade to the AT PRO when my son is old enough to start the hobby and then he can have the one I am looking for now. :grin:

At the moment I'm favouring the Teknetics I think and will take a closer look at the F2 as suggested.

Still open to your opinions guys, cheers.

I had a Coinmaster (non-Pro, just a Coinmaster Amateur I guess, LOL), I found some stuff with it but in general wish I would have selected something else. I'm not calling it "junk", it was OK for a beginner but sold it after a single season. If you could go up to the Coinmaster GT it might be better if you want a Whites as a starter. I have an F4 now and in a way almost wish I would have saved the money and gotten an F2 or spent more and gotten an F5. I am doing way better with the F4 than I did with the Coinmaster, although I have a single season experience with the Coinmaster and I think that is a big part of it. Also be sure to budget for a Garrett ProPointer as well and a good digging tool, this has made me way more efficient.

Of the 3 I would go with the Teknetics EuroTek Pro because it is the only one with real VDI numbers and not just icons.

I really believe the Fisher F2 should be in this list too, (love that detector!), but for some reason it isn't so go with it's cousin the Euro Tek.

Digger knows his stuff... Listen to him.

LOST and CONFUSED

I feel your PAIN.

The more I look & listen & learn the more CONFUSED I become.

Ask for 20 opinions & you will receive 20 different answers.
At one Dealer you get this & that and other stuff.
A lot of the package deals has stuff I do not want. :?:

I need to find somewhere to go & Test Drive several units.

I bought a scratch and dent pioneer 505 from kellyco for $199 and have found tons of silver coins, a gold ring, and all sorts of relics. Its been a great detector so far.

There are lots of good options, the problem is there are so many great options it's hard to choose. Sort of like going to a restaurant and you're really really hungry and the menu goes on for 5 or 6 pages and everything looks SO good but you can't have it all, eventually you have to choose or everyone else at the table is going to drag you outside and pummel you in to the dirt, because you can't decide, LOL, OK I might be embellishing a little bit, but you get the point, yes Tesoro would be another option if he doesn't want/need the target ID number. If he has it narrowed down to 3 it is a good start. You can't agonize over it forever, he has a few really knowledgeable members (I'm not among them) making a few points about the machines he has narrowed things down to.

Garret EuroACE

Teknetics EuroTek Pro 11" coil

Whites Coinmaster Pro

The Coinmaster and Eurotek come with a concentric coil. Concentric coils tend to pinpoint much easier which in turn removes frustration from the process of recovering targets. Concentric coils also do a much better job when IDing targets - this means that you dig less trash which once again reduces frustration.

The Teknetics is the only unit where the target IDs are not tokenized. By tokenized, I mean that there will be around 8 icons representing different targets and that the detector will put a given target into one of these categories. It simplifies the process by removing information. The teknetics displays a number, probably ranging from 1 to 99. This gives you more information which, over the the course of time, could be helpful.

Of the three, I think that the Garrett EuroACE probably has the best reputation. The Tek is brand new as is the Whites Coinmaster. The EuroACE comes with a pretty good sized DD coil. A DD coil is less effected by ground mineralization and provides better coverage while searching. If you want to tackle larger areas, this might be the way to go.

Finally, if I had to pick one of the three for myself, I would grab the EuroACE. If I had to grab a detector for someone new to the hobby, I would go with the Whites.

I'm the type that would rather buy a used higher end machine, than a new lower end machine. So with that said, I'm going to recommend a used Minelab FBS/BBS machine, a used Fisher CZ series, used Tesoro Vaquero/Tejon, or used Whites DFX/MXT.

All the machines above will blow the beginner machines away, and can be had in the $300-$400 range used.

PS. I started with the F2, it compared to the above machines is no contest... they all get a good 50% more depth, and ID targets in the ground much better.

I have an f2, coinmaster, delta 4000, and a Tesoro silver umax. The only machine I would not buy again is the whites. It is so heavy and has had several problems, but when it works it is fair. The technetics is the deepest of all, but I like the silver umax most. I found a gold with it the second day I used it! The tesoro is the best built and most stable of the 4.
I think the Euro would be awesome as well.

I have a Delta 4000 and I am enjoying it very much. Others will say the same. I actually want to see how the Tesoro Silver uMax works though. Someone is selling an awesome deal here for $300 with the best pin pointer tool that everyone will recommend.

I think the Silver uMax and Teknetics Delta 4000 are two of the best beginner machines that you will ever find. Stay away from Minelab if you are just starting, most will say.

Thanks guys, lots of good recommendations and opinions. I have taken them all on board and done additional research into models that I hadn't previously considered....

After further consideration I decided on the Eurotek Pro and as soon as I get paid at the end of this month I'm gonna pull the trigger.... Iv'e actually haggled a really good deal (in my opinion) with Regton Ltd.

Eurotek Pro 11" DD coil with headphones, coil cover and Garrett Pro Pointer all delivered at £325!

Can't wait to get out there detecting!

Thanks again and hopefully be sharing some finds with ya in the not too distant future :D

Thanks guys, lots of good recommendations and opinions. I have taken them all on board and done additional research into models that I hadn't previously considered....

After further consideration I decided on the Eurotek Pro and as soon as I get paid at the end of this month I'm gonna pull the trigger.... Iv'e actually haggled a really good deal (in my opinion) with Regton Ltd.

Eurotek Pro 11" DD coil with headphones, coil cover and Garrett Pro Pointer all delivered at £325!

Can't wait to get out there detecting!

Thanks again and hopefully be sharing some finds with ya in the not too distant future :D

Yea, 3 swings with that thing and you're going to find some kind of 2000 year old gold hoard.
From what we can tell from reading over here all you guys seem to do that.

Have fun!

Post lots of pics when you find stuff.

Back
Top Bottom